Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What say ye grade wise? Brit crown. No, not Churchill.

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yes, currently in PCGS plastic.

imageimage

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    OK, I'll bite. MS64 due to a few small ticks on the cheek and in the field to the left of the portrait. Hard to tell though since it looks like a scan, which will hide ever so many problems so well.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Hard to tell but I think I'm noting some slight flattening/wear/rub on the high points; AU 58 if that's right.

Otherwise I wouldn't be surprised at MS 64 or MS 65...
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the exact year of this crown with a bit more pinkish toning and got a 62. Yours looks a bit better so will go with 63 although quite the devil to grade without having it in hand.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS62 and I think that is about as good as it gets. The 1821 and 22 come nice and I believe the 22 is alittle more difficult but we need the edge date to be certain.

I think it is a decent coin and will likely fetch $2200-2400

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Let me state that the coin is not mine. I wish it was, but it isn't. Will wait a bit longer to see if anyone else wants to guess the grade.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I will go out on a limb and give it a ms65, but it purely a guess because I do not know the series whatsoever.image
  • Options
    Ouch, ormandh, can can you grade my coins please! I have a 63-, that is on the low side. Two points higher, gad, please grade my pennies...
  • Options
    Did I mention that I have a third party overgrading co. image Feel free to submit your coins for no fee whatsoever, for my subjective eye is just an opinion. Please pay attention to the fine print.image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Barring any wear I can't see in the scans I'd go with 64, shot at 65. It looks like a bit of chatter in the lower obverse field than might keep it to 64. None the less a very attractive coin.
  • Options
    Is this an impaired proof by any chance?
  • Options
    PCGS graded this MS60. I bet if it was a Seated Liberty Dollar it would have gotten MS63 at least.

eBay auction link

Note: I have nothing to do with this auction or seller.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    That looks to be low, but perhaps as we have said a bit different in hand? What kills me with both PCGS and even more NGC is grading on matte Brits. These coins come nice, and even proof-appearance when preserved but I think grading is a bit off with them at the TPGs many times.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I think it has been net graded for an old cleaning; the combination of the scanner images and medium toning is probably hiding the hairlines. PCGS and NGC tends to net grade a ton of coins from this era, the most blatant coming to mind would be the US Bust half dollars, many of which are hairlined-a-palooza.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that there are issues with the fields for a 60 grade. My estimate now is 1400-1600 tops

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.