Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Officially Stated PCGS Policy Regarding Reholdering CHERRYPICKER VARIETY'S (w/FS#'s on holder) I

So that they can be entered into variety registry sets.

I'm SO glad PCGS has decided to do the FAIR & LOGICAL thing!!! imageimageimageimage

For those that missed it, the previous thread was already poofed (where I got a bit over assertive & perhaps overly emotional &/or borderline unprofessional - MY APOLOGIES to all concerned as appropriate).

"From: BSearls@collectors.com
To: ttsd@hotmail.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:40:03 -0700
Subject: 1994 1C

Roger,

This is a direct communication from PCGS grading operations which I received today and is endorsed by Don Willis. You do not need to send your coin in for variety attribution, but you will need to send it in for reholdering. Although the insert for the coin shows the old FS number printed on it, that information does not show up in the actual PCGS grading database. Actually It Does

“The coin needs to be submitted as a reholder ($10), requesting we remove the mint error designation and add the variety spec number. We need to see the coin as our system only shows it is a mint error of a particular date and mintmark. It could be an off-center or a variety. We are doing this on a daily basis.”

You now have the final decision on this coin and I do not believe any further communication is necessary regarding this issue.

Thank you.

BJ Searls

Set Registry Manager"

p.s. for those that didn't know, the original coin in question below:

Comments

• Options
    Good to hear everything worked out for you in this situation.

I still think thats a cool coin too.

<<I do not believe any further communication is necessary regarding this issue.>> Nicely put. image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Followup clarification from BJ:

"Specifically, it is the policy for any coin graded as an error with an FS number already on the holder. It would not necessarily pertain to other coins graded as a mint error. Regardless, all coins of this nature will need to be sent in under one of the service levels whether reholder or variety attribution. PCGS will not change the database without seeing the coin."

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hats off to Don Willis as this was not his problem two years ago, but he could at least see the correct course of action needed to maintain good customer service.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peristence pays a premium price. I'm surprised the last sentence didn't end with :

"Can't wait to hear from you again, "
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Does any know if you have to pay the $8.00 service fee?

Reholder $10.00
    Fee $8.00
    return shipping $17.60
    Total -- 35.60 to change out the holder?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify as it may help some others... this doesn't apply to the new Presidential Dollars.

I was able to add a missing edge lettering coin in a "mint error" holder to a prez dollar registry with no problem at all.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just to clarify as it may help some others... this doesn't apply to the new Presidential Dollars.

I was able to add a missing edge lettering coin in a "mint error" holder to a prez dollar registry with no problem at all. >>

This is because the Presidential Dollar "varieties" are actually "errors" yet they are slabbed "without" the "E" prefix on the coin number.

Look at the OP's coin and you'll see that the coin number is E3115 yet "qualified" Presidential Dollar Error's do not have that E:

image .. image

Some do not even have "Mint Error" on the slab:

image .. image

While others in the same category of "variety/error" DO have "Mint Error" on the slab:

There are some Presidential Dollar Mint Errors which DO have the "E" prefix and these CANNOT be added to the Presidential Dollar Variety Sets:

image .. image

In a nutshell, edge lettering errors, for Presidential Dollars, are considered "varieties" for the PCGS Registry Sets. All other Presidential Dollar errors are not.

For the OP, his coin was initially mis-categorized as it should never have been slabbed as a Mint Error since it has always been considered a "variety" in the same manner as the 55/55 Lincoln or the 1974-D DDO Kennedy Half. It was the "E" that was getting in the way and IMO PCGS should correct it at no charge the same as any other mechanical error.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Bump for the new folks. image
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the coin that is resubitted need to have FS numbers on it already to qualify for variety designation under the reholder fee? Or can you submit a mint error that simply reads "doubled die obverse" and pay for the reholder?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Must have the FS# on the holder to qualify for JUST the reholer fee UNLESS it is a unique cherrypicker DDO (or DDR, RPM, MPD, etc.) for the date.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    OK so if the variety has an FS# then I don't have to pay the mint error fee? Nice to know. Too bad they don't attribute Knauss #s image (SLQ Errors)
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    If the ERROR slab has an FS# on it you don't have to pay the VARIETY fee.
  • Options

For Dimeman

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file