Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Comments

• Options
    Wow! $5000 for 4 coins that will be worth maybe $400 each by January
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Maybe, maybe not. Since you are an expert how many sets have you reviewed to know this proof cents?
  • Options
    I'll bump the thread later this year and well see. We always hear this kind of propaganda about how rare PR70DCAM cents are this time of year and each year it they end up selling for less than $400 by January
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Proofcents,

Don't be so hard on Mark. It's not much different than if he ran a (first run) movie theater and you preferred to wait until the movie came to Netflix. image
  • Options
    Prices have been reduced to blockbuster rental pricesimage
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I'd guess that fully half of the coins in annual proof sets would grade PR70 DCAM if submitted, with the other half grading PR69 DCAM.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    Try far less than 1% of the coins from PCGS grade 70DC from my own personal experience for 2009 and about the same for other current years. Another expert chimes in. Hey Homer have another beer genoius!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Datentype - Can you REALLY tell the difference between a Proof 69 and a Proof 70 ? I know that I have difficulty and I also know that I have to pay $300 for a proof 70
    because I don't know Jack Schit about the difference. I'll bet Jim Halperin also can not tell the difference

Do you think that PCGS manipulates and controls the amount of Proof 70's given out ?

Stewart
  • Options
    Stewart, I look at all of my coins like a grader not just a random sorter and can I hit at least 80% of 70's this way. It is a damn shame if they let anything go that is not a 70 out of their but i can guarantee you that of the 20 coins i submitted (500 sets) i knew which ones were 70's and which ones were not as 10 were made.

So, i guess the answer is that definitively I can and at the sake of tooting my own horn too much I would say that with this modern stuff from the 60's to current I can grade coins either ms or proof at PCGS standards as this is how I have made a living for over 10 years. I simply do not turn the junk in and pay grading bills for just plastic that is not profitable.

As far as maniplulating the supply and demand at PCGS, I can honestly say they can not possibly do this with me as i do not just turn in sets blindly. I turn in only 70's (if that is what i'm working on) and might possibly have much higher quality that other people if they do indeed hand out coins that are not 70's as you might be suggesting with your comment.

One more thing here, I do not even see that these sets have 50% 69dc in them and just a fraction of 1% real 70's only for my batch. 69's have a pretty wide rangeand 70's do not as they do not have any weaknesses at all. These are the absolute facts from my end of things.
  • Options
    AndyMacAndyMac Posts: 194
    Prices seem to be dropping. There is a major advertiser in Coin World (6/29/09) who has the 4 coin set in PF70 RD DCam (PCGS) for $299.00.
    Andy
  • Options
    Andy,

Each or for all four total?
  • Options
    Sorry, the set of four is $299.00.
    Andy
  • Options
    All four coins PCGS graded PR70DCAM for $299 for the whole set? That CAN'T Be. Are they NGC?
  • Options
    Yeah, right! PCGS graded? There aren't even any others graded except for mine at this point as far as a I can tell. There is some bozo dealer down in Carlsbad, California that is advertising them before they are even finished being graded from PCGS. I assume this might be Wondercoin's connection, since they live in the same area and Mitch is out of town. Tell me people is it really ethical to advertise coins that are not graded before you even get them. I guess it is a pre-sale on garded coins? Risky but to me this is just us greedy dealers battling over each other.......me first.........me first.................... no not them.............I have them too buy from me - mine will be ready any day and i know they will give me some. heck, maybe Stewart is right????
  • Options
    Kudos to Mark the the current no reserve (LOW $4.99 start) auctions. image
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will give Mark a plug here. He has a great eye for quality and has helped me build some of my sets. I think his pricing has been right on, but it is always tough to price modern coins in my opinion.
  • Options
    Thanks for any Kudos and plugs. Here's the deal, if there are any more than 1/2 of 1% graded 70dc from PCGS, then Stewart is right and then people are buying inferior product.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Datentype has the right to list his coins at any price that suits him.
    If it's to high in "your" opinion, you have the right to look elsewhere.
    But dogging his thread is "not" your right.
    Dan
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭
    Their will be more PR70DCAM Lincolns
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Mark is a great dealer.

He has a good eye and that makes him a living.

Pricing Moderns is very tough and everyone always complains.
    If we get too much inventory and sell it rapid fire style the prices dip.

At the end of the day, the dealers take big risks to bring us the coins we need.

Goodluck on the auctions Mark!

• Options

<< <i>Their will be more PR70DCAM Lincolns >>

Coming Soon image
    Seth
  • Options

<< <i><< Their will be more PR70DCAM Lincolns >>

Coming Soon >>

• Options
    Yeah, yeah, yeah....................it's always you 2 that say they are gonna have what i already have real soon. It's what i reffered to earlier in the thread.
  • Options
    Mark,

We have some coins done & on their way to us. As you mentioned in your posts, the 70s are few and far in between. Before we're done, we will submit at least a thousand 4-coin sets of these Lincolns, so the 70s will be available for sale. We will have 70s in the Lincoln Commemorative label, so likely we'll be selling to a different audience than those that want to buy the blue labels from you. Since you're likely done submitting already, I'm sure you'll sell out very fast.

Good luck with your sales,

Seth
    Seth
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, yeah, yeah....................it's always you 2 that say they are gonna have what i already have real soon. >>

Shipping to us tomorrow

With more to come, sell away

Good luck with your sales

• Options
    Come on you guys are too nice. i wanted to go into my beavis and Butthead routine. Hehheh...hey Beavis do you have perfect coins? Hehehheh, yeah butthead me too .......
  • Options
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, Mark overpriced his coins by SO, SO much to the general public and advertised them as SO, SO "RARE" (when IMHO they will not be) that it was only logical that other dealers would start to pre-sell them. Why call these other dealers "bozos" and suggest they are unethical when all they were trying to do was to offer these coins for a tiny, tiny fraction of what Mark offered them at? Indeed, right after these dealers started offering their coins on pre-sale, Mark slashed his asking prices by nearly 50% (and the coins still failed to sell). Now, Mark is running some on open bid and letting the market decide what they are worth. Mark - I hope your auctions do very, very well and the coins sell for great money as you deserve it- but, again, there is no need for the name-calling between all of us. You saw none of us (Coinfame, Tazmic, Carlsbad Eagle, myself) calling you names when you first advertised your set at $5,000.

Warm regards from Thailand,
    Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    EarlycoinEarlycoin Posts: 110 ✭✭

<< <i>But dogging his thread is "not" your right. >>

Right on Dan! image
    Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff
  • Options
    EarlycoinEarlycoin Posts: 110 ✭✭

<< <i>Their will be more PR70DCAM Lincolns >>

Leave it to Taz and Seth, I am expecting to see many from them! image
    Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, right! PCGS graded? There aren't even any others graded except for mine at this point as far as a I can tell. There is some bozo dealer down in Carlsbad, California that is advertising them before they are even finished being graded from PCGS. I assume this might be Wondercoin's connection, since they live in the same area and Mitch is out of town. Tell me people is it really ethical to advertise coins that are not graded before you even get them. I guess it is a pre-sale on garded coins? Risky but to me this is just us greedy dealers battling over each other.......me first.........me first.................... no not them.............I have them too buy from me - mine will be ready any day and i know they will give me some. heck, maybe Stewart is right???? >>

Greedy...hmmm. I personally have a problem with a dealer running to ebay with the first set that comes back from PCGS and trying to get moon money for it like PCGS will never grade another one. That is how I define "greedy". On many of my presidents I purposely hold the top grades until the pops mature so I can price them fairly. And yes, I have enough coins in that there is no risk of me not getting 70s. I think it is a win/win to protect the customer in such a situation. Signed, Bozo
  • Options

<< <i>Warm regards from Thailand, Wondercoin >>

Have a Great Time in Thailand !!!!

So much fun, all of us chatting again. Thanks Mark image

• Options
    Hey Mitch, you should do your homework before you write as it makes you appear that much worse. My set did sell and I lowered my price because "I" decided they were too high. When I re-priced it, I had not even looked at the pre-sale no reserve auctions from Carlsbad. I priced them more in line with what coins those are for 1/2 of 1%. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by linking you to the Carlsbad bozo guy. I hereby take back the Carlsbad Bozo statement and
    So notwilight, you are doing a service to the customers and protecting them from a dealer who made .05% first? Let me just tell you I thought after examining them that only 1 or 2 were perfect and was super excited about having 10 in hand and I clearly asked too much and that was adjusted to the right price and it sold.

Let me also just say, I was thinking pre 1983 bronze 70DC prices and not 2000-2008 copper plated zinc prices. Reality is they will fall somewhere in between. When you are the only one who has something you can ask what you want. I did not even expect to sell it for my original price but thought it was good for the hobby to advertise it high at first rather than immediately run it down by flooding the market as others do. It’s the greedy modern game we play and when I mentioned greedy earlier in a previous post I was putting my self into that category, so no need for you to. I really like to stick to no reserve auctions and nearly 100% of my auctions are that way just for this reason.

I guess what blows me away are people saying they will for sure have a bunch of them and pre-selling them in coin world adds and Ebay when they have not even pre-screened 1 coin themselves. Enough of this bickering back and forth. It’s kind of entertaining but I have work to attend to.

Edited to add that PCGS knows that these guys are pre-selling and they let it happen. Is it PCGS that is to blame for playing down to the dealers game or is it PCGS that drives them to do it by offering promises etc. This gets messy, i have no problem with any of my business with PCGS right now as they are great to deal with and fast! This is the only sucking up i will do...........Henry Kissinger signing off.
  • Options
    The four-coin set is indeed graded by PCGS and is available from Chattanooga Coin Co. Pics of the coins are in their ad.
    Andy
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark: If your coins sold for a lower price before you lowered them (or even after you lowered them) - it really doesn't matter to me. I truly paid no attention to those auctions. My comment stands. And your childish attack(s) means even less. Like you, I have plenty to do as well, so I am also finished with all of this - there are 400 year old temples to see tomorrow!

Warm regards from Thailand,
    Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    "The four-coin set is indeed graded by PCGS and is available from Chattanooga Coin Co. Pics of the coins are in their ad. "

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"The four-coin set is indeed graded by PCGS and is available from Chattanooga Coin Co. Pics of the coins are in their ad. "

image >>

So how come I choose to get four standard blue labels for my collection? Steveimage
  • Options
    They will never deliver more than 10 or 20 max of these sets and they have back logged close to 100 last I checked 400 coins. Do not waste your time.
  • Options
    Does any one recall what the PCGS fourm rules say about multiple "TTT’s" or comments to keep your selling ad at the top of the forum? I forgot?
  • Options
    Forum Rules Thread

"The PCGS Set Registry forum is for PCGS Set Registry participants to discuss Set Registry issues, to share photos from their collections, to post want lists, and to sell duplicates and other registry coins.

Dealers are also welcome to discuss issues and sell coins with the understanding that this is not a BST messageboard. The focus of the PCGS Set Registry forum is to educate and have fun. Bringing your expertise, understanding of the marketplace, and viewpoint as a dealer is appreciated.

To avoid selling abuses and spam, this forum has the following rules:

1. You may have one selling message per day.
    2. You may offer only PCGS-graded coins.
    3. Your message can offer up to 10 coins.
    4. Once your message has been posted you may not use “ttts” or other methods to keep your selling message near the top of the page.

BJ Searls
    Set Registry Manager
    Collectors Universe
    512.420-8805 Fax
    www.pcgs.com (Coins)
    www.psacard.com (Cards & Tickets)
    www.psestamp.com (Stamps)"
  • Options
    If you had a business would you ttt here over and over for the 20-30 people to see it that would have already booked marked it if they were interested or would you ttt on the buy sell board over and over or the US coin forum? I have not done either. These forums get a lot more traffic and it would make sense to ttt there to keep it on the page. This post has never fell from the first 10 lines on the lightly used registry forum. I’m not going to even elaborate on your IQ level proofcents as you make Forest gump seem sharp.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will give Mark a plug here. He has a great eye for quality and has helped me build some of my sets. I think his pricing has been right on, but it is always tough to price modern coins in my opinion. >>

I agree... Mark has a great eye and there are more than a few of his finds in my set.

I'll say this... for all the coins I've bought from him, he starts his coins off at $4.99 or less and let's a true auction happen. These are coins that some try to sell for outrageous prices, like 3X price guide prices or at least 2X of recent sales prices. It's interesting to me that some people list coins for alot more than one should cost, and those coins rarely sell, if at all. Mark must be doing something right to be able to make a living making coins.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"The four-coin set is indeed graded by PCGS and is available from Chattanooga Coin Co. Pics of the coins are in their ad. "

image >>

The certs are fake numbers. They are mock up slabs.
  • Options
    brccoinsbrccoins Posts: 302
    We just got grades on 09' lincolns and we received 1 PR70 set and about 30% of the coins didn't even make PR69. These are extremely difficult to say the least.
  • Options
    Looks like $300-$350 is the market right about now.
  • Options
  • Options
    Down to about $150 Each right now.