Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are the presses in Guangzhou cranking up again? I see that the QDB Whitman Colonial Encyclopedia is

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was taking a look at the Whtiman site and I see that the QDB Whitman Colonial Encyclopedia is sold out.. Does anyone know if these books are still available in the aftermarket, and are they now being sold at a premium? I assume the book is now excessively rare.

Does anyone know how big the initial print run was? Are there any plans to make a call to Guangzhou and crank up the presses again, or are we stuck with buying this book in the secondary market and paying the sellers an Obscene Profit?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Amazon has an ample supply for 32.97 with free shipping.
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine has a printing doubling error on page 7! I wonder if it carries a premium as a doubel die????
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I attended Bower's seminar in Balto. last week. He said that there are a number of typos in the first edition. He also noted that it is selling very quickly, should be back in stock in a week or so and that a second editon will likely be out in a year or so with typos corrected and some other changes. "Big John" the numismatic book dealer has an ample supply (or at least he did last week).
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm in Guangzhou right now. Let me know if you want me to hand carry one back to the US for you. I can hide my fake Rolex's from Beijing Rd in between the pages that way . win win ......: )...................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone know if the 2nd edition was released?

also if you do, suggestions on where to find it

all the places i'm finding the book does not show 1st vs 2nd edition on the cover

whitman colonial and early american coins by QDB

THANKS!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.
    anyone know if the 2nd edition was released?

also if you do, suggestions on where to find it

all the places i'm finding the book does not show 1st vs 2nd edition on the cover

whitman colonial and early american coins by QDB

THANKS!
    . >>

As far as I am aware, there is no 2nd Edition at this point in time. Not sure if/when the 2nd edition will come out. Buy the first edition; it is the biggest bargain in colonial numismatics.

There is a one page list of errors, typos, etc for this book that was put out by the Colonial Coin Collector's Club and is available for free on their website, I believe.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes CRO

that is what i was wanting the 2nd edition for, all the corrections/updates, but if there is a listing available for the typos etc, and no 2nd edition, the 1st edition it is

TYVM

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, we reprinted the errata sheet for that book on our website:

Corrections to the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial Coins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file