Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When I joined the forums in 2004 there were regular posts about Cameo Proof and SMS coins. Not anymo

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
........... and I kind of miss seeing threads on that topic. Some great pictures of some great coins posted by some great forumites (some of whom are no longer around, or who do not post much anymore).

So to take a walk down memory lane, how about a few pictures of some Cameo Proof and SMS coins (I would not mind seeing Russ's tower of 1964 Cameo Kenndy halves again, or the 1965 SMS Set of DHeath that had 4 and possibly 5 Cameo SMS coins in it, or the 1966 MS 68DCAM half made by one of our forum members).

My favorite is a 1950 Cameo or DCAM half, followed by a similar 1959 half, 1964 AH half, 1951 cent, 1952 cent, 1965 cent, 1966 cent, 1967 cent, 1957 nickel, 1958 nickel, 1956 nickel, 1951 dime, 1965 dime, 1966 dime, 1967 dime, 1950 quarter, 1965 quarter, 1966 qurter and 1967 quarter.

Comments

• Options
    My favorite....

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Ah, the good old birth mark Kennedy Half.image

You will find that topics seem to run in phases.

Depending on the turn over of members and the

types of coins in fad at a particular time. Stay around

long enough and all will come back.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    My favorite is a 1950 Cameo or DCAM half, followed by a similar 1959 half,

If your waiting for images of those coins...as you obviously know...your going to see very few images. One of my first sets was a Proof Franky series where I got into the Top 5 of the registry and had several really nice coins, including a CAM 1950 Franky...but never had a 1959 CAM. I owned those coins for several years...and eventually sold them 3 years ago @ FUN auction. Had a couple of monster PR69DCAM's in the later dates and of course for the 1956. They were beautiful coins, but alas, had to be sold in order to make a down payment to buy my farm. I loved those coins though...even though they never performed financially nearly as well as lots of other coins I have owned.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My favorite....

image >>

How much has Russ offered you for that one??

My paultry submission:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My favorite....

image >>

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

frosty image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    << When I joined the forums in 2004 there were regular posts about Cameo Proof and SMS coins. Not anymore..... >>

If the Cameo Proof and SMS coins posts have become irregular maybe they just need more fiber image
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a 50 half in cameo and a 59 half in dcam. I would post more but I gotta run.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭
    Here's my complete set of cameo 65's. No pic of the quarter, the one pictured is my old ms 68 non cam. I upgraded to a MS 65 cam a bit ago.... I know, but to me that was an upgrade. All coins graded by PCGS.

Who's gonna sell me a new one? This one has some unsightly carbon spots, but it's the only one I've come across in quite some time. I've had this one for years.

MS65Cam

MS66Cam

MS66Cam

MS68 and I believe the new owner of the coin, a member here is very happy with this coin.

MS66Cam this is my more favorite of the two I own. I have an MS67, but it has hazy fields. Too affordable to pass on, but I still love thissun more.
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Hey you guys....I'll join in....image.image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    No one else?

Well then, here's my 66 SMS cameo set. All PCGS all Cam, All the time baby!!

Oh, but I think Teddy could do us all better... would you please post your 64 SMS dime? image

MS66Cam

MS67Cam

MS67Cam

MS67Cam

MS67Cam
  • Options
    Here are my '51 dimes:
    67 Cameo

And a very elusive dcam - 64 Deep Cameo (hairlines on the planchet prior to striking kept this one from a 65 or better)

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

• Options
    I just logged on and checked this thread.

Just like Lord Of The Rings and "Frodo Lives", I guess that........................ "Cameos Live", you just have to ask.

Great pictures of some lovely coins. I really like the Cameo SMS coins. They are so tough to locate and when you do they usually have flaws. Finding a clean, high grade Cameo SMS coin is a treat.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I hate to rain on your parade, Kevin, but when I see you post, I am so waiting for more Langbord news.

In the future, would you kindly limit your musings efforts to once or twice/year on these mundane items?imageimage

and keep your eyes peeled for THE IMPORTANT procedures in Philadelphia? image
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    Julian,

I should have something for you and the other Langbord case followers later today or tomorrow since today is the deadline for the Langbord family to file their response to the government's recently filed third summary judgment motion. That motion is directed at the Langbord claims for replevin and conversion [that motion was discussed in an earlier thread].

So stay tuned. In the meantime, take a look at the Cameos posted in this thread. While not in the upper strata of the hobby, these coins are very beautiful and have a devoted following. I hunt for them in raw sets and on occasion I get lucky and find a keeper.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My favorite....

image >>

How much has Russ offered you for that one?? >>

He's gotta a lot of sweet talking to do in order to get that one. image

• Options

• Options
    Cameonut: The 1951 and 1952 Cameo Lincolns you have posted pics of are "Rara Avis" indeed.

Great looking coins.
  • Options
    A GREAT 52 there, the key of course. Slight haze on the reverse but a piece I'd love to have in my collection.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments on the early proof cents. I have owned them a long time (like 10 years) and they do tend to have some haze on them from the old cello mint packaging. As pointed out, these two dates are particularly difficult to find with nice cameo contrast.

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, back then, we had the Open Forum to bleed off the riff-raff.

Now the riff-raff is plaguing the place, posting MS stuff. image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin, Kevin, Kevin......................we don't post pictures of that stuff anymore because the coins themselves are just too common, especially those SMS dogs, with the 50's issues only a bit more annoying. i suppose everyone has finally gotten tired of showing newly found coin after newly found coin and getting the ho-hum response. of course, i could be 180 degrees off. image

• Options
    78saen78saen Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭
    Positive Transactions, CharlotteDude, SpaceMonkey, pcgs69, LeeG, MICHAELDIXON, drddm, yellowkid, jmj3esq, colorcommem, CommemDude, lkeigwin, InYHWHWeTrust, ajaan, CoinAddict, CCC2010, coinsarefun, nibanny, scrapman1077, fivecents, erickso1, ibzman350, lakeshore and more.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love those proofs especially the cameos and the nickels! image
    Don't have the 51 yet, by the way, nice coin keets. But will pick one up when I see one that I like.
    There are a few early frosted nickels in my collection if some of you haven't seen them. Too lazy to post them here when they're already ready for viewing.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Here are my SMS Cameo cents. I was criticized for spending $350 on it in 1997 - nobody spent that kind of money on SMS cents. But IIRC, it was only a pop 2 at the time in PCGS cameo with none higher. I have never regretted the purchase.
    SMS 65 Cameo
    SMS 66 Cameo
    SMS 66 Cameo

• Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Loved this thread!
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file