Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anybody ever get an N5 - Altered Stock grade on a wax pack grade?

I finally got around to sending in some packs I had won in a Mastro Auction late last year and the grades came out today.

For the 2 1972 Topps BB packs I submitted - they both came back as N5 - Altered Stock. I understand what that means for individual cards, but I was just wondering if anyone had encountered it in the wax pack market?

THanks for any info

Comments

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Here's PSA's wording for cards, I believe it also includes excessive wax on the back seal:

N-5 Altered Stock - This term is used when the paper stock is altered in one or more of the following ways: Stretching and trimming, recoloring and restoring, trimming and recoloring, restoring an trimming, crease or wrinkle is pressed out, or gloss is enhanced.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    I've gotten it before from a pack of 1984 Topps Football from Steve at the BBCE - the pack had wax build up located on the bottom of the pack - normally these are the 4 packs that are located on the bottom of the box. Steve was great and traded me an already graded pack for the pack that PSA would not grade.
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    Thanks jmoran and leathtech for the info - I'll have to check out the packs when they come back to see if they have the excess wax problem.
  • Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2019 2:48PM

Anyone had a cello pack come back N5? I have a 1966 Topps Baseball cello 6th series coming back as N5. Kinda confused as I think resealed get another designation. emailed PSA but everyone's gone to the National.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2019 4:34PM

Its one of the designation used for packs Steve determines are resealed or otherwise tampered with.

If you peel off the PSA flip sticker on the card saver, you should be able to see Steve's note to PSA. It will probably say " No Good."

The other possibility is that seal is popped on back in which case you should see Steve's note "Popped Seal."

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Thanks! My 1st pack sub. For some reason I thought altered was something else. Bummer. My LCS has now sold me resealed '79 T wax (a lot) and this cello. Have many more packs @ PSA from them. I told them all 10 or so packs I opened were resealed. They left them out for sale....

@grote15 said:
    Its one of the designation used for packs Steve determines are resealed or otherwise tampered with.

If you peel off the PSA flip sticker on the card saver, you should be able to see Steve's note to PSA. It will probably say " No Good."

The other possibility is that seal is popped on back in which case you should see Steve's note "Popped Seal."