Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

How Exactly does a " Genuine " slab work within the registry?

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
Scopeing out a horrible coin which I like but will probably only slab as genuine. How does that figure into the sets?

Comments

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure how it works in a regular set, but I have a couple listed in my 1908-S grading set listed below. They just show up without the population info and with whatever code it is. I had to manually type in what the code meant though in the description.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Scopeing out a horrible coin which I like but will probably only slab as genuine. How does that figure into the sets? >>

Genuine holdered coins can not be used in the registry. However, you can put them in the showcase section.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought they COULD be used in the Registry! That's why the holder. They should load and count zero towards points, but fill the hole and count as percent complete! That's the way it should be!
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Scopeing out a horrible coin which I like but will probably only slab as genuine. How does that figure into the sets? >>

Genuine holdered coins can not be used in the registry. However, you can put them in the showcase section. >>

Thanks DIMEMAN for making me double check this. My understanding was that they could not be used, however in the FAQ section of PCGS grading the answer is as follows.

Q: Can Genuine coins be used in the Set Registry?
    A: Genuine coins will continue to be eligible for Registry sets. Coins in genuine holders will have a set value of one (1). Genuine coins are not eligible for "low ball" sets.

imageimage
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    Genuine coins CAN be used in a non lowball registry set. They carry a point value of 1. I have a few in my sets.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Appreciate the good info.
  • Until recently I had an 1878cc Morgan and a gold $2.50 Liberty, both in Genuine. I was able to put the Morgan in its various registry set spots, but I couldn't get the quarter eagle into the gold type set.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.