Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help identifying Ancient Coins

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
Penny for size comparision
Any idea of value?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top left appears to be a follis of Maximian, and a decent looking one. He reigned 286-305, 306-308 and 310 AD.

Bottom left appears to be a smaller bronze of Septimius Severus (193-211 AD), perhaps a provincial issue.

Bottom right is too dark for me to make out, but it has a facing portrait, which indicates it is likely from late in the Imperial period, possibly the 5th century, and is perhaps from one of the Eastern emperors. It looks as though it might have the "soldier spearing fallen horseman" reverse?

Without going to wildwinds.com (which you can also do), I can't nail them down much farther off the top of my head.

Wild guess, the Maximian will likely be a $25-30 coin while the other two will probably be $10 or less apiece, but of course that bears further investigation, and somebody more experienced than I will probably be able to add quite a bit more info.

I can't help you on that top right coin. It seems vaguely familiar somehow, but I can't... quite... place it. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another portrait of Septimius Severus. This one from the Rome mint 207 A.D.

image.

That top right coin could be valuable. Struck on both sides with obverse dies. image
  • Maximian, struck in Thessaloniki
    Septimius Severus from Nikopolis ad Istrum
    Theodosius I

stainless