Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Certifies a 1900 Indian Head Cent Struck In GOLD On A $2 1/2 Planchet MS 65!

2»

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au contraire, it could be reeded if it was a struck 2.5 dollar gold that was placed twixt the dies. I have a darksider not as interesting that was a Brit 1953 sixpence overstruck by 1982 one pence dies with residual reeding.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037

<< <i>Mint worker playing around? >>

That's what I'd be thinking
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the silver one from the same dies. (note the die-rust pitting under the EN on both)

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick, what was that silver one graded - and who has it now?
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is physically possible for the coin to be simply an exotic off-metal, as the $2-1/2 gold planchet would fit in a cent collar. The fact that (according to Rick's earlier post) another off-metal strike in silver is known from the same die pair would lend credence to the notion that these were struck deliberately, so I tend to agree with listing it as a pattern.

However you decide to categorize it, it's a breathtaking coin and I'm very happy to finally see a good picture of it... I only wish I could see it in person.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Charmy, it's not graded by anyone. Some collectors do not want their treasures kept in plastic tombs. (I stand corrected -see below)

The predigree info may end up in Longacre's Ledger.
  • Options

<< <i>Rick, what was that silver one graded - and who has it now? >>

While you're answering Charmy... does that weigh out as the same as a dime, and am I correct in thinking that it is a Type-I blank?

The nicest silver Indian Cent (other than the 1909 eleven cent piece) I've ever seen was an 1869, I'd love to see pics of that coin again.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Rick, what was that silver one graded - and who has it now? >>

I think it's in Xan Chamberlain's IHC error collection some of it can be viewed ATS where it's posted.

Worth checking out as it's an intense collection formed over a quarter of a century... a really nice fellow too!

Edited to add... yup NGC MS66 link

Xan's full collection link
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Broadstruck - Thanks for posting I didn't know it was entombed!

The nicest silver Indian Cent (other than the 1909 eleven cent piece) I've ever seen was an 1869, I'd love to see pics of that coin again.

If you mean this one, it is copper-nickel, a J-669 double struck. This was featured in the last issue of Longacre's Ledger.

Longacre's Ledger available here
  • Options

<< <i>Mint worker playing around? >>

I agree for the condition and that just dosen`t happen...
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey rick- you giving your seal of approval on that piece?
    oh and is that coin going for auction?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>how much?! >>

6 figures image >>

image >>

Where do I sign up? image
  • Options
    Rick - wow, that is a cool coin, but not the one I was thinking of. This one was a single normal strike on a dime planchet, it was offered in the late 1990s by a young west coast error coin dealer who only lasted a couple of years in the business. IIRC it was graded by NGC in an AU grade, maybe AU55.

*** insert searching, typing, clicking SFX here ***

....aha, found it! Thanks to Mike Byers' museum, it is a PCGS AU55, here is the pic from the Byers site:

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wow!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!
    (wonder if I could get my own...from China? image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG!

imageimageimage

That is MINDBLOWINGLY cool.

So nicely centered, too.

Can't help but wonder if it was deliberately done or not. I suspect it was.

What a truly amazing piece.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that there are a few Lincoln cents struck on gold quarter eagle planchets. Anyone know the details?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I read somewhere that there are a few Lincoln cents struck on gold quarter eagle planchets. Anyone know the details? >>

I remember reading that it was a 1915 struck on a planchet for the pan pac commemorative. Any photos of this one available???
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I read somewhere that there are a few Lincoln cents struck on gold quarter eagle planchets. Anyone know the details? >>

I remember reading that it was a 1915 struck on a planchet for the pan pac commemorative. Any photos of this one available??? >>

1915-S?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1915-S? >>

not sure and I don't remember where I read it, but it would be pretty sweet image
  • Options
    eggboneeggbone Posts: 615
    WWW OOO WWWimage
  • Options
    karpman9karpman9 Posts: 309 ✭✭
    This is the single greatest mint "error" I've EVER seen!!!!! I want one!!!!!!! Geez, it caused me to come out of hibernation and post for the first time in ????? a year? 6mos? I dunno but it's been way too long!!!!!!!!

Jeff.K. Karp

Meet my first little guy, Benjamin. Born 4/8/2007
    Pic taken at 2.5 years of age.
  • Options
    A Morgan dollar struck on a double eagle planchet would be the ultimate mint error.

• Options

<< <i>A Morgan dollar struck on a double eagle planchet would be the ultimate mint error. >>

No, a 1934 Peace Dollar struck on a double eagle planchet would be the ultimate mint error!!!
    LOL
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A Morgan dollar struck on a double eagle planchet would be the ultimate mint error. >>

No, a 1934 Peace Dollar struck on a double eagle planchet would be the ultimate mint error!!!
    LOL
    image >>

Let's get really ridiculous---an 1804 dollar struck over a brasher doubloon.image

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

LOL
    image >>

Nah, how 'bout the '34 Peace overstruck on a 1933 Saint. image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, how 'bout the '34 Peace overstruck on a 1933 Saint.

Nah, how 'bout the '64-D Peace overstruck on a 1933 Saint.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Nah, how 'bout the '34 Peace overstruck on a 1933 Saint.

Nah, how 'bout the '64-D Peace overstruck on a 1933 Saint. >>

Twice as illegal to own.image

• Options
    ALL RIGHT! STOP THE SKETCH!!! THIS IS GETTING TOO SILLY!!!!!
    CUE THE LUMBERJACK SKETCH!!!!
    Monty Python

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file