Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>linky

and its beautiful, IMOimage >>

edited to add..........................btw its not easy finding a nice toned Proof Eagle
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    purrrrty colors...i think it's about the lowest graded eagle i've seen

the seller's a member here

he's had some "moose" colorful toners too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• FoxerFoxer Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Wow that's really nice looking.

Added that one to my watch list.
  • IM sorry to say this, but it SCREAMS AT. How these get into PCGS slabs is beyond me, but whatev. To each his own.
  • Taco Bell Napkin????
    BGG
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭
    AT to me, as well.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks AT to me. Just because it's in a PCGS slab doesn't prove that it's not AT.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    1. I have no idea if this coin is AT or NT.
    2. I'm not talking about the posters in this thread.

but 3. The declaration of AT seems to be always given with no explanation--like it's a gut feeling or something.

4. Sometimes I wonder if there aren't people out there who declare every wildly toned coin AT.

5. So if you do have a wildly colored NT coin will a large percentage of the viewers state, "definitely AT"?

--Jerry
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks AT to me. Just because it's in a PCGS slab doesn't prove that it's not AT. >>

Ditto......
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
  • i tend to feel this coin is NT. And i'm going to tell you why.

-toning is arranged in natural pattern. Although the pictures don't light up the fields too well on the obverse, it appears as a target toner. Reverse is also a target toner but farther along in the spectrum. Hence, my next point.

-color progression is natural, following Sunnywood's chart. Now, the orange in the center of the obverse has likely been brought out by juicing the photos but it should be the Class 1 orange because it's followed by the light blue. The color progression gets farther along as you get closer to the rim. Reverse appears as a Class 2 green and red followed by a little Class 3 green around some parts of the rim.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • 1. I have no idea if this coin is AT or NT.
    2. I'm not talking about the posters in this thread. << If they own coins that are bought ans sold, then they are fair game to be talked about, (the coins). No one is talking bad about the seller/poster.

but 3. The declaration of AT seems to be always given with no explanation--like it's a gut feeling or something. He asked what we thought.

4. Sometimes I wonder if there aren't people out there who declare every wildly toned coin AT.

5. So if you do have a wildly colored NT coin will a large percentage of the viewers state, "definitely AT"? Imnot saying its AT one way or another. Just my opinion. Its a piece of silver from 88. Sorry, but the toning looks AT and it looks like a clown coin or something. These are the coins are modern silver and rainbow toned in les than 20 years... That smells fishy to me.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin is beautiful enough to turn me into a silver lover - well, almost!
    Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • I wouldn't purchase this coin IMO. Yeah it has some crazy toning to it, but I wonder what it'll look like in another 20 years? A hockey puck?
    Sorry, but when I see a silver coin with wildly colorful toning that is selling for a huge premium due to the color, I'm more than a little skeptical that the coin didn't have some help.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Looks very AT. I might pay a 10% premium over spot for it, but that's about it.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • TrainNutTrainNut Posts: 140 ✭✭
    looks like AT
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although it is a consignment coin, PCGS has viewed the coin raw, in hand and have freshly graded it. I believe this time I'll defer to them vs those who have not seen it nor have their level of expertise.

peacockcoins

• TinyTiny Posts: 2,598

I got this one from them last week and just a Real Nice coin. Great people to deal with.

• These things can tone up very quickly if left in the correct environment.....not even using heat or chemicals.....just left say on a dresser exposed to the elements etc. I wouldn't be suprised if this coins was put into some sort of cardboard holder for a number of years....decide for yourself if that's AT or NT but I will still call that NT. Now as for the images.....you can see very intense light used above the coin to enhance the colors.....will this coin look like this in hand......yes if you hold it under a light source but maybe not if you just pull it out of the pacgage in the living room. I think a lot of folks state AT in cases like this due to the images when the coin may not appear so neon in hand image
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 2005-S silver dime graded in a an ANI holder (it says pr70 dcam not that it matters). ANYWAY- I bought the coin about 3 years ago when it was what we can call "fresh" and its color was just as a brand new proof should be-... silver!. Anyway- the coin has been sitting in my room for the last 3 years and Ive been (for the last 3 years) as the coin gets more and more colorful. it started out in one small area and now it covers almost 60% of the head and the front of the coin as well. the reverse is moving at a slower pace but its getting there as well. in fact- most of my silver coins that were encased in ANI holders seem to get some color after 1 year or so. Maybe its just the holders or maybe its the air in my room (as many of my coins that I left in a drawer (unslabbed) for over 2 years came out toned when I recently them out).
    dont know what does it to them but I will say that Ive never done anything to them to make the color change or something. and ps- I love whatever happens to them bc I get almost $50 for $2 colored dime in the ANI Holder!!!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. I have no idea if this coin is AT or NT.
    2. I'm not talking about the posters in this thread.

but 3. The declaration of AT seems to be always given with no explanation--like it's a gut feeling or something.

5. So if you do have a wildly colored NT coin will a large percentage of the viewers state, "definitely AT"?

--Jerry >>

I've collected and stored SAE's since 1986 in both air tites with a foam insert, original mint capsules and a DANSCO. The only thing the airtites or mint capsules do is milk spot for those coins that are inclined to milk spot. Zero Toning!

The DANSCO coins turn a "muddy" brown on the edges closest to the spine (where the most air gets in).
    image .. image
    Again, zero "beautiful" toning.

The ONLY time I have seen a wildly colored SAE (and these will tone up nicely since they are .999 fine solver) is to deliberately store it incorrectly like in a Taco Bell Napkin, or in the open with no protection on an open shelf (in a closet like Bochiman) or perhaps in a sulphur laden manila envelope.

All three methods above could be considered AT but I think it depends upon the coin and the owners attitude. In other words if the owner comes on and spouts about how gorgeous the coin is and what he did to achieve those colors, then AT.

I suppose it is possible that some uninformed people are out there that store their SAE's out in the open or in a clothing dresser drawer or some other crazy place and then out of the blue they put it in their pocket (or purse) and decide to sell it to the local coin dealer for melt and that dealer then decides to ship it off to PCGS where PCGS will look at it, wonder about the toning, realize that .999 silver does tone up real pretty, and then decide to slab it with a couple of point deduction because they really do not know if its AT or not and then the dealer sells it to some numb nut for rediculous money...................

...............but I'm not buying it.

Either the coin or the story!

I could not say with ABSOLUTE certainty that this is true but my spidey senses tell me no. Again, I cannot say with ABSOLUTE certainty but that coin was either deliberately stored improperly or its been messed with. Especially since its a proof coin! Nobody and I do mean nobody (even idiots), removes their proof coins from the protective mint capsule, that they all come in, and simply stores it in a dresser drawer! (PS, a DANSCO or other coin folder simply does produce that vivid of toning.)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Although it is a consignment coin, PCGS has viewed the coin raw, in hand and have freshly graded it. I believe this time I'll defer to them vs those who have not seen it nor have their level of expertise. >>

BS!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I have a 2005-S silver dime graded in a an ANI holder (it says pr70 dcam not that it matters). ANYWAY- I bought the coin about 3 years ago when it was what we can call "fresh" and its color was just as a brand new proof should be-... silver!. Anyway- the coin has been sitting in my room for the last 3 years and Ive been (for the last 3 years) as the coin gets more and more colorful. it started out in one small area and now it covers almost 60% of the head and the front of the coin as well. the reverse is moving at a slower pace but its getting there as well. in fact- most of my silver coins that were encased in ANI holders seem to get some color after 1 year or so. Maybe its just the holders or maybe its the air in my room (as many of my coins that I left in a drawer (unslabbed) for over 2 years came out toned when I recently them out).
    dont know what does it to them but I will say that Ive never done anything to them to make the color change or something. and ps- I love whatever happens to them bc I get almost $50 for $2 colored dime in the ANI Holder!!! >>

Provide pictures please.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>

<< <i>Although it is a consignment coin, PCGS has viewed the coin raw, in hand and have freshly graded it. I believe this time I'll defer to them vs those who have not seen it nor have their level of expertise. >>

BS! >>

Agree. Someone needs to cut back on the Kool Aid and start thinking independently.

• << I believe this time I'll defer to them vs those who have not seen it nor have their level of expertise. >>

I dont really need to see that coin in hand, or any other wildly toned MODERN ASE silver for that matter, to know that more than likely, it was ATed.

edited to add: ASE
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Whether it is AT or not (and imho yes) it is just too over the top.....
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The coin artist overdid it on this one.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to get revolted by silver coins that look like this.
  • al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭
    I have alot of silver coins and alot of toned silver dollars, toned in alot of different ways, but when I see a coin like that in my mind I say AT, no scientific reason and I have read about toning progressions and I believe alot of that, but looking at this I find it hard for anyone that has been looking at coins for awhile to conclude NT. That does not mean it does not look great, each person has an eye for different types of coins. Opinion> NT> no scientific reasoning just common sense. Maybe it is when they look that perfect?

AL
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

Pat, I happen to like it, as always you find some nice inventory.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

<< <i>I have alot of silver coins and alot of toned silver dollars, toned in alot of different ways, but when I see a coin like that in my mind I say AT, no scientific reason and I have read about toning progressions and I believe alot of that, but looking at this I find it hard for anyone that has been looking at coins for awhile to conclude NT. That does not mean it does not look great, each person has an eye for different types of coins. Opinion> NT> no scientific reasoning just common sense. Maybe it is when they look that perfect?

AL >>

Just so we are in the same boat, Silver Eagle Toning should not be compared to Silver Dollar Toning as one is a 90% silver/10% copper alloy while the other if .999 fine silver. Both will tone differently over different periods of time and with different storage methods. SAEs can tone to vivid colors as has been proven on these boards, however the toning was the result of deliberate attempts at "inducing" toning.

I do not find the coin desireable in the least.

The name is LEE!
  • FoxerFoxer Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Sold for $480! image

Nice profit.
  • mumumumu Posts: 1,840

<< <i>i tend to feel this coin is NT. And i'm going to tell you why.

-toning is arranged in natural pattern. Although the pictures don't light up the fields too well on the obverse, it appears as a target toner. Reverse is also a target toner but farther along in the spectrum. Hence, my next point.

-color progression is natural, following Sunnywood's chart. Now, the orange in the center of the obverse has likely been brought out by juicing the photos but it should be the Class 1 orange because it's followed by the light blue. The color progression gets farther along as you get closer to the rim. Reverse appears as a Class 2 green and red followed by a little Class 3 green around some parts of the rim. >>

While I tend to lean towards AT, and think PCGS is to blame more than the owner or seller, I can vouche that Braddicks coins look just like the pictures. No juicing there.
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Ain't life grand? That ends up in a holder, and this gets in a genuine slab for questionable color.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • image The power of color.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A question for those who have studied a lot of proofs (I have not): on the coin in the o.p., above the motto, there are what look like a few water rings or spots- is that commonly seen on the surfaces of proofs?
  • Yes, on ASE's its a common problem. IIRC they cal it milkspotting. I could be wrong with that name though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file