Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

question about bulk cards through ebay seller: capitalcards-ny

Anyone know anything about this seller on ebay??

I just bought a block of 100 1987 Topps #430 Mike Schmidt cards from this dealer and they came to me looking way toooo sharp and crisp. When they are stacked all together they have the same cut lines on the sides. They were clearly cut together all at the same time. Comparing them to some other 1987's I opened from packs none of those cards that are also minty are the exect same length and they do not shine on the sides like a fresh cutting press would do for a thick stock.

Comparing them to pack cards, everything is nearly identical...except the cards I just received do not have a super sharp font that Topps used on the reverse or on the upper left front Team logo. Also, the blue on the reverse where the players name was is not exactly a match either. Tough for me to tell for sure, but maybe some of you have seen this person's stuff before and/or know something more about this seller?

They have 6,320 Feedbacks and a 99.8% Positive...only reason not 100% is some nut job negged him like 8 times in a row saying no one answers their phonefor him to pay with a credit card.

They sell blocks of cards like this for all kinds of common ungraded cards... I can see how 'counterfeiting' these would go somewhat un-noticed and if you did it a lot, you could make some profit by virtue of volumes.

Please shed some light whoever knows more.

Maybe these aren't counterfeit at all, but need any info someone may have

Comments

• Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Here are some pics to show you what I mean...

I mean, even Bicycle Playing Cards would be proud of this deck!

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I'll go out on a limb and GUARANTEE that these are not counterfeit. Why on earth would they counterfeit such an inexpensive card? It would cost WAY MORE to make a fake one than to just sell you a real one.

Edited to say: Guarantee is probably too strong a word. Let's just say that if someone is counterfeiting 1987 Topps Mike Schmidt cards, they are probably the most misguided counterfeiters out there.
  • Options
    But you can't run around counterfeiting 52 Mantles...way too obvious. What if you owned or knew a friend who owned a pro print shop and it cost you 1 cent per card to reproduce junk like this... you sell 100 lot for $5 - $20...so minimum profit margin is 500%... Get your volumes right, and you can argue a serious profit over the long haul. And everyone is going to think the same thing, 'who the heck wuld bother with cards like this'...but these are toooo good to be true. My pictures are not necessarily doing the stack justice, you'd have to see this in person to appreciate how perfect they are...but all 100 perfect??

I would love for these to not be counterfeit and if they are not(which I have not completely ruled out yet), I will be a card buying fool and the best customer of this shop in NY.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But you can't run around counterfeiting 52 Mantles...way too obvious >>

True. If only there were cards somewhere between '52 Mantles and '87 Schmidts.......... image
  • Options
    heh, ya, if only...
  • Options
    and besides, think about how many packs/boxes/cases someone had to go through to get 100 Schmidts... or 100 anything...why would you do that, and who's doing that?? And then, you're not getting this calibre of card even 1 in 10...let alone 100 of them.

Whats easier...opening like 5-10 cases of 1987 Topps or printing some up professionally??

Am I crazy or am I making some valid arguments?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The cards are legit. During this era, Topps farmed out bulk sheet deals to select businesses. One such company, RBI Collectible out of Rochester, NY used to offer bulk lots that I believe they cut. I bought some huge quantities back in the day from 1987 through 1991. Still have some 25,000 count lots of a few players that never panned out as well as 100-1000 count bricks of some others.

PSA used to reject most of these cards, but over the past few years, they've begun to grade most of them.

In any respect, I wouldn't worry about the authenticity of the cards...
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    you are too funny... do you know how much it costs to make plates, and other costs to make these cards????? not worth it at all !!!! just does not pay.. and yes , does not pay to make counterfeit 5.00 bills.. costs are more than items are worth..... knowing these guys and other dealers from that area of new york, there were tons of cards in lots of 100 at that time.. i had bought 100 card lots of 79,80,81,82,83 in those years for dirt cheap and yes, all gem mint, and sorted from vending.. I remember going to these guys stores and seeing the sorting process....bill from capitol cards and renata galasso sold tons of this stuff.. I bought 2 1977 vending cases from them myself..and yes, they were 75.00 each.. this guy is legit
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way would a major card dealer go to so much trouble to counterfeit 1987 Mike Schmidt cards, or 1987 cards of any player for that matter...Topps sold cut cases where you could easily obtain thousands of cards of one player back in the day.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Good info and as always someone here is a wealth of knowledge!

Hmm...will try to have a couple graded then and see how that pans out.

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    I think that you owe capitalcards a HUGE appology for making accusations like that. These guys have been around for a long time...no need for them to counterfeit 87 topps cards. I once had 3600 1989 topps Bo Jackson cards so I think 100 87 topps Schmidts is definetely believable. This is what is wrong with people today. They start accusing people of stuff before they do their research and know what they are talking about.
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>I think that you owe capitalcards a HUGE appology for making accusations like that. These guys have been around for a long time...no need for them to counterfeit 87 topps cards. I once had 3600 1989 topps Bo Jackson cards so I think 100 87 topps Schmidts is definetely believable. This is what is wrong with people today. They start accusing people of stuff before they do their research and know what they are talking about. >>

Agreed. The title of this thread is terrible for that legit sellers rep. The OP should change the title if they are able to.

• Options
    No accusations were made...

I used words like 'possible' and presented some arguments on if it was possible to counterfeit common cards as opposed to star expensive cards where people would pay more attention. I also mentioned, 'I did not rule out they were real'.

some of the purpose of these boards is to gather more knowledge then you had before... as evidenced above, there is pure expertise out there that can enlighten me and all of us when we have questions like this.

The seller got a positive feedback from me as they should and all 5 stars for each sub question.

I would buy from them again based on now being educated as to how a beautiful deck of the same card can be bought from a dealer but that can't be obtained opening packs the old fashioned way.
  • Options
    changed the title so it would be less speculative and more informational.

Anyone now reading the thread should be able to come to solid conclusions the seller is reputable and the blocks of cards they sell are truly as close to perfect as it gets.
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    I bought several hundred 1987 Topps Bonds rookies from them in the mid 90s (.20c/ea) -- they looked just like the stack in your photo. I had many graded and all were authentic; however, many were deemed MC -- probably cut too nice -- certainly not counterfeit.
  • Options

<< <i>This is what is wrong with people today. They start accusing people of stuff before they do their research and know what they are talking about. >>

Probably the result of the environment the negativity based, sensationalizing media has created. Dasm the facts, just get the story out there regardless of validity and print a retraction later if things get too hairy.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭
    The guy never accused them, he came in asking a question about a legitimate concern of his. With all the counterfeit stuff floating around these days, I don't blame him.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a couple of deals with them 12-15 years ago with no problems. I would say they are legit.

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>The guy never accused them, he came in asking a question about a legitimate concern of his. >>

Did you see the ORIGINAL thread title?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Although I haven't done so in a long time -- about 6 or 7 years ago I accumulated approximately 25,000+ Mike Schmidt cards searching for the perfect examples of each. It was very common for me to pick up bulk lots of cards like his 1987 Topps, and they would frequently be found like this. [although in other cases, I would simply get a 3,200 count box of a late 80s Topps issue]. I'm sure you're fine. Be thankful that the cards have not been significantly handled over the last 20+ years.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

The title was changed at the behest of one of the members as they stated someone else may feel it more accusatory then exploratory.

I hope everyone can agree it is now more exploratory.

Finally, I again was not accusing the seller of anything...just testing an evidently fanciful theory of the possibilty of someone counterfeiting common cards.

I appreciate all who had greater knowledge then I coming forth and sharing it with everyone. It pretty well laid the question to rest as it relates to the REAL possibilty of these types of cards being legit as well as the seller themselves being legit. The seller received all 5's and positive feedback from me after I received the cards.

They are crisp and perfect in every way, I will even submit a few to see how PSA grades them, as I see there is some question about how PSA will react per the above comments form others who have tried in the past.