Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1958 Milwaukee Braves Auto Project (Update: 6/6/13 Going to call it DONE!)

Thanks to some positive feedback and encouragement from my starting a project thread. I figured I'd post my progress as I can. Thanks very much for the encouragement and makes collecting all the more exciting to share.

The project
Obtained a 1958 Milwaukee Braves Championship pennant from my grandparents early in my childhood. I hope to collect signed cards from each member appearing in the pennant. This pennant hung in my room as I was growing up and hope with time my son (pictured as my avatar) will have some interest in the sport / hobby. As for the project; with help from some board members and ebay I was able to get a pretty good start.

I really wanted to get this all in one frame but I've been sitting on it for more than a year having it not on display felt like a crime. I fixed that.

Comments

• Options
    Scans

Pennant

Authenticated Autos
    imageimageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    Raw Autos
    Any opinions on the authenticity of the raw autos is definitely welcomed.

imageimageimage

06.19.2009 Joe Jay & Del Rice
    imageimage

06.27.2009 bunch...
    imageimageimage

imageimageimage

07.15.2009 5 additions...
    imageimageimage

imageimage

10.28.2009 1 addition...

12.05.2009 1 addition...

01.14.2010 1 addition... Thanks Doran!!

02.17.2010 1 addition...

02.25.2010 1 addition...
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Nice start. image

I'm not expert, but the Logan and Conley compare nicely to the ones I have in my collection. I can't speak for the others though.

I'm interested in seeing the Willey, that one I know as well as my own. And I have seen fakes on Ebay, there are some on there right now.

Thanks for sharing your progress with us.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Conley (also a former Boston Celtic) is good. I love this project. Please keep us updated!!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good Luck with your project. BTW I love the 58 Pennant.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

<< <i>Conley (also a former Boston Celtic) is good. I love this project. Please keep us updated!! >>

Isn't Conley the only person to win a championship in two sports, basketball and baseball?
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    imageimage
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Adc-ock is solid -- used to have many of his autos in my collection
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Glad that the card arrived safely. It was tough letting go of, but it'll look great with the collection and it's always awesome to help someone get closer to achieving their goal.

Good luck the rest of the way. I'll be keeping up with this project!
  • Options
    Love the stuff you learn...

<< <i>Donald Eugene (Gene) Conley (born November 10, 1930) is a former Major League Baseball pitcher who played eleven seasons from 1952 to 1963 for four different teams. Conley was also played forward in the 1952-1953 season and from 1958 to 1964 for two teams in the National Basketball Association. He is best known for being the only person to win championships in two of the four major American sports, one with the Milwaukee Braves in the 1957 World Series and three Boston Celtics championships from 1959-61. >>

-- Wikipedia
  • Options
    Joe Jay and Del Rice arrived... any opinions very much welcomed.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Added a bunch today. Feedback welcomed. Really amazing how far I've come in such a short amount of time.

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

• Options
    Wow, your coming along quickly!

The only one I can speak to is the Carlton Willey and I am happy to say that is authentic.

Thanks for sharing. image
  • Options
    5 new ones.

imageimageimage

imageimage

8 to go!
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Nice going, Jake! Can't wait to see the finished product! image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Love the new avatar Chris. image
  • Options
    Well I've now viewed or know officially that all of the players I'm looking for have a attainable signatures. Haney signed card in a '54 or '59 appears to be difficult. Bob Trowbridge (saw a raw auto go for over $200) appears to be the toughest of the lot by far.

Either way, project is still going a bit slower now but progress is being made. Still excited about it.

October's update is Mr. Don McMahon:
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Looking good, Jake!

PoppaJ imageimage
  • Options
    I think you should start to put your final display together - cards, autos and pennant.

Then, takes some photos of it and send it to any player that is missing.

Who would not want to be part of that ?

great job !
  • Options
    Good idea on sending some pics with TTM requests. Most of tough ones left are no longer with us unfortunately. I have seen the cards or at least some autos (Haney for example) so I know they're out there!

• Options

• Options
    A big thank you to Doran for custom cut Fred Haney. Mr. Covington was found at a steal too!

• Options
    Joe Koppe takes me down to 2 left!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible start!

I'm a big fan of lineup pennants and this one is dated also - a bonus!

Some really sharp cards - I like the Red S. card/auto.

Good luck in completing the project - there's always a nice Aaron on ebay.
    Mike
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Good luck on the last two, Jake! Great job so far!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    So very excited with this latest edition. By far and away the most rare of the autographs to obtain. I'm told even seeing one is being lucky... I thought I missed that one about 6 months ago when it sold for $262 which was far more than I bid.

Credit card in hand I stepped to the plate when I saw the following card available which has already received "Likely Genuine"

I got the card for a song and has been my most thrilling aquisition since I restarted collecting cardboard about 2.5 years ago! Very excited about this one and now only Mr. Henry Aaron remains!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Awesome Throwbridge! (Don't know anything about it, but based upon what you said you must be thrilled!!!) Good Luck with Aaron ... you should have MANY choices!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    COMPLETE!!!

My wife, supportive as I could ask for in this hobby of ours told a few people about this project and that I was only Hammer'n Hank away from completing it. I showed her the card above and she made mention of it to my parents and between the two I received an early birthday present!

Now that owns and is a perfect topper to a very memorable project. While I still have to get authenticated those autos not so yet and pick a layout for a frame I've now obtained autographs for each member of the pennant! My first cardboard "project" I've completed in my return to collecting. While I guess not technically complete it sure is a thrill to do!

Happy as I can be to share it with you guys and hope now to get some feedback and suggestions you may have for best how to layout this beast framed! I'm going to get these authenticated as soon as money allows but for now super excited to have set out with a goal and achieved it!

Thanks for the support and allowing me to share.
    -jake
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Way to go Jake,

Congrats on the completion, and getting the last one from your wife and parents makes it extra sweet.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jake ... AWESOME to hear that your family completed your project for you. Make sure you show us the finished product! ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Congrats Jake! Your wife deserves some roses for being so awesome! Can't wait to see the final product.
  • Options
    Congrats. Does anyone know if Wes Covington signs TTM? I know he lives in Canada.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    GREAT job! Were you the one with an extra pennant?

This was an awesome project. I know something about the patience multi-projects take, and you should feel proud!
  • Options
    Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats. Does anyone know if Wes Covington signs TTM? I know he lives in Canada. >>

I heard he was supposed to but my request is now 5 months and counting.

Thanks for the comments guys! Still excited about this one.
  • Options
    Well, a bit ago I picked up an elusive '54 Fred Haney

Which I was pretty excited to have a legit playing card for each player finally assembled.
  • Options
    Mike (thenavarro) sub arrived and all authed!

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Jake,

You had a good eye for all Authentic, congrats!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    tried adding them to the psa/dna set registry. half of them won't qualify for the set... seems a little bit "buggy"

and the red label psa/dna joint certs cannot be added to teh psa set registry. kinda make them in limbo.
  • Options
    judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    In the 1958 Topps set, there is #164, Bob Taylor, who was a bonus baby who was with the team in the regular season but did not make the W.S. roster. He lives here in Calloway County, Kentucky. I could get his address for you. Bob "Hawk" Taylor had several cards in the 1960s, also.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• Options

<< <i>In the 1958 Topps set, there is #164, Bob Taylor, who was a bonus baby who was with the team in the regular season but did not make the W.S. roster. He lives here in Calloway County, Kentucky. I could get his address for you. Bob "Hawk" Taylor had several cards in the 1960s, also. >>

I had originally planned to only get the ones on the pennant. Thou there is a draw to get the signatures of all the '57/'58 braves players and I did really enjoy the Covington TTM. PM sent, thank you.

• Options
    National yield a few surprises for me... ALL Milwaukee County stadium ticket stubs (and a program)!

• Options
    Decided it was display time. Abandoned the all in one frame in lieu of displaying it now.

Here it is: