Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1954 Pice from a box that had not seen daylight since the 70's...

Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful.

One has to wonder if there are many left of these in any condition.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horsey!
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Very nice!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    COOL
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    That's really cool!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Oooo, lions. Very niceimage
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the backstory? That is a nice looking coin!

Cathy

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was this coin from a 1950's cereal promotion?

I am asking because I remember some cereal which advertised then:
    "send in 25¢ and a box top and we will send you 25 foreign coins".

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭
    Neat piece. Bombay Mint, 136.758M were minted (KM 1.3), so chances are that there are still a few of these about. Nonetheless, I suspect they circulated with tremendous velocity, so there might be only a few in that condition! These coins were demonetized sometime after 1957.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Backstory:
    I went in Friday to my B&M shop. The man who runs the store was trying to "clean up". I do not know if all B&M shops are the same...
    to some degree I assume they are....lots of piles, boxes, backrooms we all want to go through...etc.

While cleaning he found a box that was filled by the owner traveling as a coin dealer through India and China (Hong Kong). I am not certain of the exact date of the
    trip but I believe he said it was in the 70's. He attended a coin show in Hong Kong to buy and give the trip some tax status..... while traveling...

In the box were "GEM" coins from the teens to I believe 1960. I purchased a nice group of Chinese dollars, a South African Crown, beautiful Phillipines coins and some dollar size silver coins I am still trying to decide what they are. I purchased what I could afford...alas several coins were coded at a cost of $150 each plus and he was going to have to research them before selling.....

The Pice was "free"...or as my wife said...no it was not! LOL

Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Post some Philippines please!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One has to wonder if there are many left of these in any condition. >>

I have had several from bulk lots, mostly AU-UNC, with ample Red on them. Even a full-Red BU piece or two. I'll have to see how many I have left. I used to come across them fairly often, actually.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Ohh! So "Pice" isn't actually a mis-spelling in the thread title!

Cool pony and lions. And a Brahman bull on the pedestal?

The expression in the pony's eyes and mouth is sublime.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SSP- I just stuck a nice BU 1955(b) coin of this type into the 6/15 Weekly Swap thread. There is no picture of it, but it is a lot redder than the coin in the OP. I call it MS63 RB, but it is almost full Red... and hey, it's only a buck-twenty-five!

(Let's see how quickly it disappears!) image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.