Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 Proof Set Quality

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi, just got the mail today and received my 2009 Proof set. Packaged pretty well and good quality this year, IMHO. Has anyone else noticed the quality of the cameo surfaces? The cameo surfaces look different this year to the eye. Under my loupe, it looks like skin from a lizard rather than the frosted coins previously. This clearly creates a contrast from the mirror surfaces, but I am not sure if I like it too much. I think I can remember reading about how newer proof dies were being prepared by treating them with acids and sprays. Has anyone else noticed this? I am curious to see what the silver proof coins will look like.

Comments

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • that snakeskin stuff is strange
    I'm merely the keeper of fine metals.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep waiting for some royalty checks but nothing ever comes.

Dang!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I noticed the quality was better this year.
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Those of mine that I have looked at all look 69 and 70
  • I wrote about these last week and do believe that all the coins in my sets were ms 70 quality.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
    I've examined the sets that I received so far and not all are of the 69-70 range.

I also notices that the Snakeskin finsh is limited to the Territorial Quarters and the Presidentials as the NA Dollar, Half, Dime, Nickel and Lincolns (notice I didn;t say Zincolns? image ) are all of the matte finish.

As a side note, I'm just a bit tired of these "manufactured" cameo's as sometimes that cameo "bleeds" into the fields giving some of these coins an "altered" appearance.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    very very nice quality IMHO

I bought 2 sets but only looked at one, and with 18 coins was shocked to see not one
    had a visible problem

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>very very nice quality IMHO

I bought 2 sets but only looked at one, and with 18 coins was shocked to see not one
    had a visible problem >>

..........i was shocked too, bill. i had to send all mine back!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

• << <i>I keep waiting for some royalty checks but nothing ever comes.

Dang! >>

Don't hold your breath. It's very unhealthy!!image
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Got two sets, one had a cracked lens, both nickels had damage and one of the cents had some weird milk spots, Formative Lincoln looked like he was throwing confetti in the air. Presidents and quarters had good quality for both and one of the cent lenses looked really nice.

About what I expected ... I find that the Uncirc sets usually have better quality IMHO ...

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • UTTM07UTTM07 Posts: 313 ✭✭
    My nickel has a little strike through on the reverse and the Sac had a piece of lint on the obverse. And there was a crumb on the rim of the Polk dollar. Not enough to warrant returning it though; the cents were ok.
  • The cents in 70's will be tough, very tough. Trust me on this one.

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The cents in 70's will be tough, very tough. Trust me on this one. >>

Agreed but the Presidential $1's will be tougher. Those just outright sucked!! Spots, pinholes, stains and other issues lurk upon closer examination.

<< <i>The cents in 70's will be tough, very tough. Trust me on this one. >>

.........we have no reason not to trust YOU!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Quality? from my 500 sets, here's the breakdown on coins submitted that had any chance at all for PCGS level 70DC:

72 out of 2,000 presidentials or about 3.6% should hit about 2%
    27 out of 2,000 Lincoln's or 1.35% be lucky to get 1 or 2 70's total because of bronze composition. I think they will sell for moon money in PCGS 70DC
    28 out of 500 Native American or 5.6% should get around 2-3%. A little worse than usual compared to prior years.
    15 out of 500 Clad kennedy or 3% might get 1% if lucky. As always hugely under rated coin for it's difficulty.

Remember, this are coins that had any chance at all of making PCGS level 70DC and then just a portion will 70. I would say the quality is very similar to rpior years in terms of perfection. Tghese are the facts jack. by the way, i did not even look at the 500 clad DC/Terr quaretrs as i have looked at around 1,000 clad and silver earlier in the year and the market is dead for them from an economic standpoint IMHO
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Quality? from my 500 sets, here's the breakdown on coins submitted that had any chance at all for PCGS level 70DC:

72 out of 2,000 presidentials or about 3.6% should hit about 2%
    27 out of 2,000 Lincoln's or 1.35% be lucky to get 1 or 2 70's total because of bronze composition. I think they will sell for moon money in PCGS 70DC
    28 out of 500 Native American or 5.6% should get around 2-3%. A little worse than usual compared to prior years.
    15 out of 500 Clad kennedy or 3% might get 1% if lucky. As always hugely under rated coin for it's difficulty.

Remember, this are coins that had any chance at all of making PCGS level 70DC and then just a portion will 70. I would say the quality is very similar to rpior years in terms of perfection. Tghese are the facts jack. by the way, i did not even look at the 500 clad DC/Terr quaretrs as i have looked at around 1,000 clad and silver earlier in the year and the market is dead for them from an economic standpoint IMHO >>

Thanks for the info! Of my petty 50 sets, zero went/are going to PCGS. You are a machine! Good luckimage
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    I FINALLY got my '09 proof sets!imageimage

They went out the 12th. When I finally narrowed-down the right shipper using the 3 Tracking #'s the Mint supplied me with, I determined that they went out FedEx & were slated to arrive tomorrow, the 19th.

Instead, rather than FedEx knocking on the door & running like usual, the package apparently came via the USPS (don't they have some sort of co-location agreement or something?), just shoved in our mailbox today.........
    with some notation on the label: "USPS Delivery CONFIRM e-VS".........

In any event, the contents look great! Nothing wrong with the coins or holders, and an interesting way to display the edge of the Sac $1!

And as for comments on a separate thread re: the "lizard-look" on the quarters, it just looks like George Washington has a big-time 5-o'clock shadow all the way down his neck!imageimage

And now I get to see the many '09 coins via the proof set that I will likely not see in circulation or rolls until sometime deep into 2010, too!image
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>very very nice quality IMHO

had a visible problem >>

..........i was shocked too, bill. i had to send all mine back!image >>

LOL image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Can you send the coins to pcgs in the plastic cases they come in?
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:

<< <i>Can you send the coins to pcgs in the plastic cases they come in? >>

...........i believe you can...............................BUT don't expect the plastic returned!image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hesitant to call it toning....

but one of my cents is already showing color change around "In God" across to the back of Lincoln's head.

It's RB against the Red field.

Couldn't get a decent picture if I tried.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got two Silver Proof sets in. I was not impressed. I only got them for the cents, and of course after I order they come up with a listing for just the proof cents.

Most should grade 68/69. I do not see any 70s but I might have a 67 or two. One of the sets came damaged and I had to send it back. Nothing like giving another donation to USPS. The nickel was partially out of it's hole and smashed between the plastic insert and the lense.

I am sure that there are some nice ones out there, they just did not fine meimage
  • I did the same as you, bought 2 sets of silver proof mostly for the cents. Had to send one set back due to severe dings on the half dollar. I just looked for the proof cents on the mint site and did not find them. Help out a dummy and guide me to the listing, thanks!
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8/26/2009 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial One Cent Proof Set
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered a silver proof set tonight. I am eagerly awaiting it. This is my first EVER proof set, I hope none of the coins come damaged. None will be graded, I am planning on leaving them in the holders they come in.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History

• << <i>8/26/2009 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial One Cent Proof Set >>

Thanks, I did not check the future offerings, I was looking at what is for sale now. Will they be offering the Unc. in copper also or will I have to buy the Unc. 2009 set for the copper cent?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file