Comments

• AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭
    AT
  • I agree. AT
    All coins kept in safety deposit box.
  • Looks cooked.
  • CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    thanks everyone. bad idea to buy toned unslabbed coins on ebay?
  • Dude, its bad to buy raw coins period on ebay. Unless you know your stuff.

Toned raw coins on ebay wouldnt even get a serious look from me to be honest. Save yourself the heartache and buy slabbed.
  • morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very AT. My 3 nephews and 1 niece could do better with crayons.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "thanks everyone. bad idea to buy toned unslabbed coins on ebay?"

For sure if you have to ask the question AT or NT about a coin like the one pictured.

"Dude, its bad to buy raw coins period on ebay. Unless you know your stuff."

Some good deals can be had on mercury dimes. A person must know the tone patterns though.

"Toned raw coins on ebay wouldnt even get a serious look from me to be honest."

Excellent! Another bidder not to worry about....image

"Very AT. My 3 nephews and 1 niece could do better with crayons."

Nice icon morgandollar. Thats a raw washington I owned at one time. Someone did buy it as a raw coin. Ebay???

Ken
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>thanks everyone. bad idea to buy toned unslabbed coins on ebay? >>

Well, AT'd coins make it into slabs and coins can also be AT'd AFTER they have been slabbed.
    imageRIP
    Buying raw coins toned isn't something that you should avoid, but rather just study many graded toned coins to learn what to look for. I have 40 toned Mercury dimes and just an handful of them were slabbed. I can guarantee you that I will not pay $25 -$40 to certify an $25 coin and someday when I sell these they will be sold as raw. It just doesn't make sense to pay the fee. In fact there are many very beautiful NT Mercurys that can be picked up for $25. So many people are bent on the idea that if it isn't certified then it is a waste of money. This is far from the truth. To be a devils advocate you need to be critical or any toned coin that's raw..and even the ones certified. There is a big gray area of market acceptable AT. Regarding your earlier post, very AT. Those colors in that concentrated form and pattern are tale tale signs.
    Good Deal
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I vote blow torch.
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    what are some online resources to learn the science of toning? any specific to mercury dimes? thanks.

CW
  • SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks everyone. bad idea to buy toned unslabbed coins on ebay? >>

It depends on your motivation. If you enjoy looking at colorful coins, then it may be worth your money. Just keep in mind that it will probably bring about melt when you get ready to sell it.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta disagree on this one, NT

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    perhaps NT not even worth 5 bucks though in my opinion. As already stated you can get a much nicer example for less then the price this seller wants again in my opinion.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATATAT
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • A cleaned merc w/AT added....
    BGG
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Album toned, eh? Must have been housed in one of those "blowtorch albums".image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

<< <i>Album toned, eh? Must have been housed in one of those "blowtorch albums".image >>

Dansco did roll out their Welders Collectors album...
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it looks like this, it's album toned.

HE>I

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NT

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In essence, it's a good idea to buy what appeals to you and forget everyone else. Don't be looking for an approval service here. The whole is harder to please than the a...hole.

A guy is selling coins and if the price fits what a person is willing to spend, well that ought to be key, Copperwire.

That's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. image
    Suit yourself and enjoy the coins you collect. I buy them as cheap as possibleand pull out as much of the ugly as I can. If it's ugly, I sell it for less. That's life. Some people sell it for more due to the color and some people find it worth more due to this fact, coupled with STRIKE detail. The fact is : If you like it for the price, go ahead. I think you can do better looking around on the bst for that sort of money that the eBay seller has it for. Put up a "Want to buy" ad. See what you shake out of the trees.

or as Cool Hand Luke would say : "shakin' the bush, boss, shakin' the bush"

HE>I

• bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Its oven baked AT.Fugly too.JMHOimage
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭
    Shake N Bake
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file