Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Am I screwed with this Willie Mays autograph?

I have a Willie Mays autograph baseball that I was getting ready to put on the BST to raise some funds for a Campy auction that ends this weekend. I figured that I should take a picture and check out the COA that came with it. The COA is from Scoreboard. Are they one of the ones that are known for fake autos? For some reason I have it in my mind that they may not be legit. I really hope I'm wrong. Here is the ball in question. Any help would be appreciated. (And just so you know, sending it to PSA/DNA is probably out of the question due to lack of funds image)

Chris
My small collection
Want List:
'61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
Cardinal T206 cards
Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

Comments

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scoreboard is legit. They were the auto guys in the 90's.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Scoreboard is legit. They were the auto guys in the 90's. >>

That is AWESOME! I was a little bummed there for a minute or two. image Thanks!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Scoreboard went to the darkside, Kenny Goldin is not a name I'd trust.

I too have an auto from them (mantle) that I don't hold much stock too.

As for the Mays I have no idea if it is good or bad.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    It does look alil small for Mays auto, he usually signed big and fast ., his last name looks alill weird on your ball, but Scoreboard was solid for the most part if your sure it came direct from them and not someone pretending to be "scoreboard"

good luck !
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
    From the internet:

Sweet Spot reported in its last issue that a selection of inventory with Score Board certificates of authenticity had been submitted to authenticators, both experienced dealers and forensic experts. Some of the memorabilia had been deemed good; much of it bad.

If I was you Chris I'd get it quick looked at by PSA/DNA and leave out the Scoreboard part.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>From the internet:

Sweet Spot reported in its last issue that a selection of inventory with Score Board certificates of authenticity had been submitted to authenticators, both experienced dealers and forensic experts. Some of the memorabilia had been deemed good; much of it bad.

If I was you Chris I'd get it quick looked at by PSA/DNA and leave out the Scoreboard part.

Steve >>

That is probably a good idea. image Do I have to do that on eBay or can I do that on this site? Thanks for the help, guys.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Steve >>

I was thinking the same thing. I hope everything works out for you Chris.

Brian
    Chris

I think one has to go through ebay or another auction site.

If you click on PSA/DNA near the top left corner is a link for quick whatever they call it.

Steve
    Good for you.

<< <i>Chris

I think one has to go through ebay or another auction site.

If you click on PSA/DNA near the top left corner is a link for quick whatever they call it.

Steve >>

Thanks, Steve. I guess I'll have to do that tonight. In the mean time I've taken down the ball from my BST thread. The last thing I want to do is stick someone else with a bad auto. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Chris

It may be a good auto, the only thing that concerned me was the Scoreboard COA.

Good luck, hopefully the quick opinion will say likely genuine!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    who is Fueck Noir?
    is he french?

mays has an ugly signature IMO.. doesn't make any sense

<< <i>Chris

It may be a good auto, the only thing that concerned me was the Scoreboard COA.

Good luck, hopefully the quick opinion will say likely genuine!

Steve >>

If it does say likely genuine (my fingers are crossed) do you think it would be okay to go ahead and list it on the BST and just throw away the COA? I'm not sure of the protocal here. Thanks again for the help, everyone.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
    On the B/S/T I'd still say where I got it from.

If I was to put it on ebay I'd probably do the same.

When I said 'don't mention' or 'forget about the Scoreboard COA' I meant as far
    as PSA/DNA knowing. That way you would get an unbiased opinion.

Sorta like cracking a GAI graded card before subbing it.

The more provenance of an item the better.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If it does say likely genuine (my fingers are crossed) do you think it would be okay to go ahead and list it on the BST and just throw away the COA? I'm not sure of the protocal here. Thanks again for the help, everyone. >>

If you look to sell it in the BST forum I would mention everything in the order it happened. You had the ball and the COA, you werent sure so you got a quick opinion from PSA/DNA because you didnt want to sell it with any doubts, and now with the "likely genuine" (if they deem it that way) you feel more at ease passing it along to another collector.

If you leave out the scoreboard COA, and a potential buyer sees this thread (where you did mention the scoreboard COA), they will think something isnt right.

<< <i>

<< <i>If it does say likely genuine (my fingers are crossed) do you think it would be okay to go ahead and list it on the BST and just throw away the COA? I'm not sure of the protocal here. Thanks again for the help, everyone. >>

If you look to sell it in the BST forum I would mention everything in the order it happened. You had the ball and the COA, you werent sure so you got a quick opinion from PSA/DNA because you didnt want to sell it with any doubts, and now with the "likely genuine" (if they deem it that way) you feel more at ease passing it along to another collector.

If you leave out the scoreboard COA, and a potential buyer sees this thread (where you did mention the scoreboard COA), they will think something isnt right. >>

Very good point. I will definitely keep the COA then.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Any help would be appreciated. (And just so you know, sending it to PSA/DNA is probably out of the question due to lack of funds image)

image >>

Chris ... here are two that I have. Don't remember from whom I bought them, but I've only purchased a few non PSA auto balls and would only buy from someone I trusted (I know it does not mean that it is definitely legit). My two autos are different and I am sure Mr. Mays has a few different ways he signs. Sorry for the bad photo, but I scanned them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    After seeing those scans I'm not sure I even want to waste my $7.45 on a quick opinion. The "W" looks quite a bit "off". image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Mays has signed his W a few different ways. Im confident that is a good Mays.

As for Scoreboard. The reason people say be careful with items with a Scoreboard COA is because people would switch the good items and replace it with a bad one. The COA could also easily be copied. Check your COA to see if you can see the watermark. Either way, the authentic item could be replaced with a fake item.

But that Mays looks good.

<< <i>Mays has signed his W a few different ways. Im confident that is a good Mays.

As for Scoreboard. The reason people say be careful with items with a Scoreboard COA is because people would switch the good items and replace it with a bad one. The COA could also easily be copied. Check your COA to see if you can see the watermark. Either way, the authentic item could be replaced with a fake item.

But that Mays looks good. >>

I hope you are right. I'll do the quick opinion thing tonight and let you guys know what I find out.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    I have a PSA graded Mays I can take a pic of tonight in case you want to compare
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    I've seen official auto'd cards of Mays in a small scale so I wouldn't sweat the size factor.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    You've got to remember that auto's change depending on the mood of grumpy old senior's.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums