Home Sports Talk

The Official LA Lakers 2009-2010 run for a Repeat NBA Championship thread

bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
I wonder what type of moves the Lakers will make during the offseason to improve their chances at back to back championships?

Please discuss. image

Brian

Comments

• halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    With Kobe crossing 30 and the huge FA classes coming in the next few years it would be awesome for him to sign a sweetheart deal with the Lakers so that they could bring in a new star or two to pair up with him and Gasol and bring home a few more rings. Once Kobe is done it could be their team. Or the newcomer could sign a short term sweetheart deal and then max out when Kobe is off the books.

Unlikely, but if they want the rings it would make sense.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering why you started this thread when the 2009 Finals aren't even done yet!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • LakersFANLakersFAN Posts: 288 ✭✭
    OnE and dOne!!!!! lakers baby!!!!!!!
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm wondering why you started this thread when the 2009 Finals aren't even done yet! >>

You are totally correct. The Finals are not done yet, but I started this thread right after game 4 to be sure I was able to start this thread before someone else did....Plus I thought the Lakers haters would be pizzed. image

Any way, the Lakers will be the champs again this year.

Please discuss,

Brian
    Congrats Lakers!!!!!! Enjoy your offseason.

Brian
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Getting a reliable dead eye perimeter shooter like Kapono wouldn't hurt
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the 2009-1010 NBA training camps open after the Fourth Of July weekend?

Congrats to the Lakers.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phil should GUARANTEE a repeat -- it worked for Pat Riley!
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Is LA going to budget in the cost of riot control for next year's title?

bunch of freakin savages
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Cue up the music for Kobe vs. Lebron and SHAQ in next year's finals.
    It will be the highest rated finals since Jordan retired....
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

<< <i>Cue up the music for Kobe vs. Lebron and SHAQ in next year's finals.
    It will be the highest rated finals since Jordan retired.... >>

If the Shaq deal to the Cavs go through that would be interesting. Shaq being used in the right limited role could be a great addition to the Cavs.

Brian
  • LakersFANLakersFAN Posts: 288 ✭✭
    i think it is a Must that the lakers look to the offseason aquisititions to build on a repeat performance, players that need to go and not in this order are...Walton.......Bynum ( trade and get someone with Heart ) ....the machine Sasha.....we need someone who can shoot it like a rafer alston from the Magic to fill the role of sasha who did absolutely nothing for Us, and i am saying this beacuse next year, teams will get alot stronger and healthy again.....we need an Artest type scrapper and banger'

Just my 2 cents'!

Go lakers!!!!!! WAR lakers!!!

<< <i>i think it is a Must that the lakers look to the offseason aquisititions to build on a repeat performance, players that need to go and not in this order are...Walton.......Bynum ( trade and get someone with Heart ) ....the machine Sasha.....we need someone who can shoot it like a rafer alston from the Magic to fill the role of sasha who did absolutely nothing for Us, and i am saying this beacuse next year, teams will get alot stronger and healthy again.....we need an Artest type scrapper and banger'

Just my 2 cents'!

Go lakers!!!!!! WAR lakers!!! >>

I don't think Walton has been healthy because he's falling we down over the last year or so.

Sasha, must be something Phil sees. I personally don't like it when he comes into games and plays like his brain is missing.

Bynum, he's still a kid. Give him time and see what happens. If he doesn't start showing big improvement ever year then we'll see. As far as him playing without heart...I was listening to a very smart sports Dr on the radio and he thinks Bynum was playing with the fear of re-injuring his knee. I would like the Lakers to give him a couple more years.

The Lakers really need an actual point guard for next year.

Brian
    Sounds like Ron Artest will be a Lakers....That would be a great upgrade for them.

Please discuss,
    Brian

<< <i>Sounds like Ron Artest will be a Lakers....That would be a great upgrade for them.

Please discuss,
    Brian >>

Uh . . . . .Yeah. Nice to have all that talent and still be under the cap. Who would have though Mitch Kupchak would turn out to be such a shrewd GM.

I really hope 'Sheed signs with the Celtics now -- they certainly pulled out all the stops to talk him into it with Ainge, the Big 3, and Rivers flying to Detroit to meet with him.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Never got into the hot stove of basketball that much but this is leading up to an interesting season next year for sure!
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    It looks like everybody else is playing for 2nd. Ron is nutty but he will be a great fit in LA. The only potential concern is that he really mucked up the offense here in Sac. He shot too much and the offense did not flow right with him out there. However, I am confident Phil and Kobe can explain his roll to him. Time for another parade in LA....
    ESPN is saying that sources are now saying Phil Jackson is 99.9% intent on coming back next year. With Jackson back and new team member Artest along with a healthier and more experienced Bynum the Lakers should be #1 again. I personally don't think Artest will have any offensive probs with the Lakers as he will only be the #4 or #5 option, unless he is super hot and Kobe or Gasol are getting double teamed. Maybe Artest can show some of the young Lakers how to be tougher on the defensive side.

• benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    go blazers!!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2

<< <i>go blazers!!! >>

For second place or third place? Cause we all know the Lakers will be in first. image

Brian
    Lakers again will be the team to beat this year. All they gotta do is stay healthy and play within Phil Jackson's game plan and they will have another championship.

Brian
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>Lakers again will be the team to beat this year. All they gotta do is stay healthy and play within Phil Jackson's game plan and they will have another championship.

Brian >>

Thanks for making it sound so easy.

Signed,
    Cav's, Celtics and Magic
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
    Nice game last night
    Looks like Kobe got dinged up last night. He's a warrior and I'm sure he'll hang tough. Hopefully he'll heal as he plays.

Good start so far for the Lakers.

brian
    The Lakers keep putting wins together even though they have playing some crappy teams. Looking forward to seeing how they stack up to the the other top teams when they play.

brian
    The Lakers are going to start off the second half with some key players dinged up...Kobe, Bynum, and Odom are definately going to need to get healthy. I still believe if the Lakers are healthy in the Playoffs they will bring home another title, but they also need their bench players to step it up.

Are there any Cavs fans on this board? They should have a thread, I think this is their year.

<< <i>Are there any Cavs fans on this board? They should have a thread, I think this is their year. >>

Could be the bad call of the year. lol
    Lakers are one step closer to the big show!!!!!!!

<< <i>

<< <i>Are there any Cavs fans on this board? They should have a thread, I think this is their year. >>

Could be the bad call of the year. lol >>

Heh, sure am glad I was wrong. I am still shocked by how they gave up in the last 2 games against the C's.

Here's to a competetive Final 4, and NBA Finals!
  • wheatguywheatguy Posts: 359
    Nice start for the Lakers, solid game overall.
    Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk
    Lakers up 2 to 0. The Suns were tough last night but the Lakers seemed to wear them down in the 4th. Looks like Kobe to Gasol was a good combo during the stretch and the role players did their jobs...Looks like Odom had another LUCKY game. LMAO

Hopefully they can win 1 of the 2 in Phoenix.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the Lakers-Suns series will go 7 games.

Just to be contrarian, I'll pick the Suns in 7.

Lakers fans, your thoughts please.

Suns fans, your thoughts please.
  • wheatguywheatguy Posts: 359
    I hate to be a "blame the ref" guy but there were some terrible calls in Game 4 IMO. Hopefully LA can stop the Suns' reckless 3 pointers that put the game out of reach for the Lakers. My hopes are pretty high for tomorrow at Staples Center.
    Successful BST transactions with: Walkerguy21D, Metalsman, chumley, cohodk
    Now a 2 - 2 series which surprises me. I thought the Lakers would leave with a split, but they didn't play good enough for it.

Some quick thoughts.

Game 3 was terrible.
    Game 4 the Lakers still played terrible, but they stayed in the game.
    The Suns bench killed the Lakers. What happened to Odom, Farmar, and the rest of the bench? They played lights out at the Staples Center.
    The Suns are all going for loose balls and getting Rebounds on the defense and the offense.
    I can understand the Suns zone defense working in game 3, but where are the Lakers adjustments? Kobe on the wing helped, but Gasol needs to be tougher. Do they think they are going to win from downtown and then get no offensive boards when they miss?
    The Lakers and Gasol had no answer for Lopez in the last 2 games.
    The Lakers need to keep Bynum on the bench. He's really favoring his knee and getting into instant foul trouble.
    Lastly, the Lakers needed to give a few tough fouls in game 4 too...Nothing like seeing uncontested layups or dunks.

For the Lakers to win the series they need to get substantial contributions from Farmar, Artest and Odom. When 2 of them play well everything falls into place. Farmar really needs to pick up the slack to give Fish some rest too.

Game 5 is a must win for both teams. I still don't see the Lakers tanking it in game 5.
    Ok Ron Artest I will let your last couple of stupid 3 point attempts down the stretch slide because of the last second play tonight.

Lakers one game closer to the Celtics or Magic.
    The last minute of that game proves once again that while Ron Artest is a great athlete and is capable of making great plays, he is one small notch above being considered legally mentally disabled.

<< <i>The last minute of that game proves once again that while Ron Artest is a great athlete and is capable of making great plays, he is one small notch above being considered legally mentally disabled. >>

I think that's a bit of a reach. One thing I've heard many times is the fact that Artest is nothing like Rodman was during his playing days. Phil Jackson was always having to send someone to drag Rodman to practice and I've heard many reports of Artest putting in lots of extra hours in on the practice court. Even heard Artest put in extra practice as few hours after the last game.

I think its safe to say you can never know what to expect from Artest, but saying he's one small notch above being considered legally mentally disabled is quite irresponsible.

-brian
    Wow, only 38 posts on this thread vs. 244 on the Celtics thread. I sense an East Coast bias on these boards. image

<< <i>Wow, only 38 posts on this thread vs. 244 on the Celtics thread. I sense an East Coast bias on these boards. image >>

That does surprise me somewhat. I would have thought this thread would be closer to 100, but I haven't been around much the last few months to add my comments or bumps.

Also, we are on the west coast....People still skiing right now, the beaches are warming up, Dodgers, USC, UCLA sports, lots of recreational sports (golf, fishing, tennis etc) & attractions (disneyland) to do, clubs, parties, etc...Lots going on out here to be sitting at a keyboard. lol

I would expect the ChowderHeads Nation to have posted 1000's a replies to their thread. lol
    Lakers go to the City of the Los Suns and close it out. Very nice!!!!!!!!

Lakers vs the Celtics

Lakers will have to bring their best to the series as the Celtics know what it takes to win it all. It could be a classic series.
    Artest's handlers get a +1 for Game 6's performance.
    Lakers take game 1

Not sure what happened to the Celtics, but the Lakers have really tightened up their defense at times this year and have been great in the paint when Bynum stays out of foul troubles. Plus they have done well on the boards......Looks like they had defense, points in the paint and big rebounds in game 1.

Lakers really need to do the same in game 2.

On a side note, the refs need to let both teams play more..Some of the fouls on both sides were crazy.
    Celtics take Game 2. The game started like I thought it would, but I thought the Lakers really blew it down the stretch. Not taking anything away from the Celtics, because they easily could have won it on their performance. However, the Lakers kept fighting their way back and couldn't make any real key defensive stops during the stretch. As a fan it is a bummer when the refs call some of those bad fouls for either side.

Not surprised with the result though...I figure it will go 7 no matter who wins it.

-b
    Laker's in 6.
  • TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    I have a feeling that if the Lakers have trouble early on in game 3 or 4 (in the first half of either game), they could fold up like a cheap outdoor tent. And the series is over, maybe in 5 or 6.

I have this funny feeling after their game 2 loss, there's an underbelly of doubt. Celtics could run over them. Maybe Gasol's doubts about his performance in 08 come back to haunt him. It's going to be mental toughness on both sides, that will in part determine who the winner will be. The time between game 2 and 3 is pretty critical.

But my guess is it goes 6 or 7. Maybe Kobe wins it for them in 6.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    they made a nice come back and played good defense in the 2nd half but couldn't get over the hump to re-take the lead, if they took the lead i think they win, kobe and fisher made good plays.

they still haven't fired on all cylinders, hopefully in games 4-5-6
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

<< <i>they made a nice come back and played good defense in the 2nd half but couldn't get over the hump to re-take the lead, if they took the lead i think they win, kobe and fisher made good plays.

they still haven't fired on all cylinders, hopefully in games 4-5-6 >>

I assume you are talking about the Celtics not hitting on all cylinders? I would definitely say the Lakers were not hitting on all cylinders either. Championship caliber teams know how to win when certain players struggle. That's why the Celtics and the Lakers are in the finals.

As I said before game 3... Laker's in SIX!

<< <i>As I said before game 3... Laker's in SIX! >>

That definitely won't happen.

Again the Celtics and their bench showed up for the game against the Lakers.

Bynum played 32 minutes and gets 1 offensive board and ZERO defensive boards. He's not effective right now and it doesn't matter that his knee is hurt..I appreciate his desire to play, but Phil Jackson needs to go to another player.....unless Bynum looks incredible in practice or just before game time he needs to be on the bench.

The Lakers half court offense without a center isn't doing anything against the Celtics.

Kobe took over the 3rd period for the Lakers and made some great shots during the game, but where were all of the other Lakers...You mean to tell me there isn't one Laker with some good spacing when Kobe has the ball?

Even as good as Gasol can be, he really doesn't have the help right now and he can't hang with the Celtics big guys. The starters and their bench are killing him.

Other than Odom, the Lakers bench is ineffective and pathetic.

On a good note, the Celtics shot lights out in the first half to the Lakers pathetic sub .40% and it was still a close game.

If the Lakers don't make some adjustments game 6 could be very bad for them.

I still like the Lakers chances, but they gotta get game 6 first.