Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about Topps factory sets

What is the first year that Topps produced a factory set?

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation

Comments

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep I thinks so too.

JC Penny had them.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    My dad collected in the late 50s and early 60s and said you could order a complete set from Topps from these catalogs. But he could never save the $8 to buy one......Evidentally $.25 was a lot of money for a kid in 1957. But I will defer to those older than me, I've only been around since 1983.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    I don't recall that. I recall one could buy series from the collectors guild but never directly from topps.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>Yep I thinks so too.

JC Penny had them.

Steve >>

JC Penny...that is pretty cool. I will keep my eyes peeled for some of there old catalogs. I would like to see how much they were getting for them.

Do you remember what type of a box was used? Curious if it was plain white or if it was similiar to what Topps does now.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Ahh..the power of Google.

Looks like it sold for $400

The 1974 Topps Baseball Card Set signaled the end of an era of card collecting. The Golden Years were over. Although we did not realize it at the time, the signs were there: 1974 Topps Baseball Cards rose to above a penny (8 for a dime), cards were no longer issued in series, and the JC Penny’s catalog began selling factory issued sets. The hobby was evolving as Collector’s Conventions (card shows) were booming and for the first time we realized that the condition and centering of the card affected the value. The key 1974 Topps Rookie Cards are Ken Griffey, Dave Parker and #456 Dave Winfield.

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Ahh..the power of Google.

Looks like it sold for $400

image >>

Thanks! Not a bad looking box!

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    It is a nice looking box. I like how it says Official like 10 times. lol

Search thru here for the 1976 set

Should be in there. With a quick look I cant find the '74 catalog.

This guy has alot but not the '74 catalog.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Will someone please buy me the Warren Spahn Glove. image

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Steve and others - the 1974 factory set was in the JC Penney's catalogue - I believe it was a Christmas offering?

Topps didn't start to officially release factory sets until 1985 - again I believe this is accurate.

I do not remember any offering by Topps - directly to the public - for cards/sets in the 50s or 60s.

Packs were repackaged after the season was over to get rid of all the surplus - e.g. as we know the 52T's were cello-packed in groups of 8 packs or one might find - in later years - rack/grocery cello packs of 3.

I believe some large candy distributors may have also dumped their product in some similar way - of course vending machines had the cards all winter long.

My personal favorite was pulling a card from an exhibit card vending machine.

Wish I know more.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Just sold one of those '74 sets on ebay with the original SEARS price tag still on it - $3.97

Here's the auction
  • Options
    Didn't Perry find a report of an earlier Topps factory set (1971)?

Also, I think Topps had factory sets in 1984.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Topps also had factory sets in a decorative box (brown and yellow) in 1982 and plain brown boxed factory sets in 83 and 84. The more attractive "Christmas" factory sets (decorative boxes) started in 85. I have a full run from 86 and up, so if anyone has an 85, let me know.

Brian
  • Options
    My personal favorite was pulling a card from an exhibit card vending machine.

The baseball card shop near my house still has a vending machine. I think he has it loaded with 1978-1984 Topps.

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Topps issued "Factory" Sets prior to 1985, however, 1985 was the first time they were issued with a non-brown or “Collector’s Box.” I have seen “factory packaged” sets as far back as 1971. Also, I have seen complete sets from the 1960’s that were issued in “vending” boxes with filler from other sports and non-sports from the same year.

Topps also issued "Presentation Sets" in the 1950's and early 1960's (although I've heard stories they continued intermittently until 1972) to higher level employees and special recipients. These sets were akin to the update sets as they were in Series boxes. The cards in these Presentation Sets were typically a bit smaller and the few sets that I've had have been rejected by PSA as not meeting minimum size requirements (1961, 1962, 1963). SGC has, on occasion, graded such cards with the notation: Presentation Set.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't Perry find a report of an earlier Topps factory set (1971)?

Also, I think Topps had factory sets in 1984.

Steve >>

Hi Steve

When I say "official" - I'm not ruling out the sets in certain years - I have one from 1982 - but they were some kind of 'afterthought' in a way to dump product.

My understanding is that in '85, it became a genuine annual product - marked as such.

But, I could be wrong.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate to revive old threads but its winter here in the south. I have seen '74 and '75 Topps factory sets
    sold by Penny's and Sears both. Nondescript boxes tanish brown. Saw these around 1983 at Charlotte,
    N.C. show. Al Rosen (Mr. Mint) bought a huge (5000+) group of 83-85 Topps factory sets when Penny's
    discontinued them. I bought 2 of each year and opened them; '83 missing a complete series duplicate
    of another, the '84 and '85 were each missing 2 series, dupes of others. In the mid to late 80's some
    presentation sets from the early 60's came to light. I believe they were given to dignitaries that visited
    Topps at the time. There were a few dealers in the 60's and 70's that also sold cards by the series. I
    finished my 65-69 sets this way. The last series or two were rarely available in N.E. Tenn. They also sold
    singles , I may still have a price list or two buried somewhere.
  • Options
    I've always considered the " presentation " sets from the 50s and 60s like factory sets , as they were never hand collated or released to the public....
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    I still have a 1974 Topps factory set box (purchased at Sears) with about 3/4 of the cards (the rest I had graded about 10 years ago). I got this set originally when I was 9 for raking leaves...

Here's a shot of it in my display case