Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone here have any early branch mint proofs?

If so, care to share? image

Comments

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...or to paraphase, is anyone here a multi-millionaire?
  • Options
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    Check registry sets.
    Many have tru-view pictures.............
  • Options
    1892-O Proof

<<1892-O Very Choice Brilliant Proof
    Recently discovered, this coin is unquestionably not a commercial striking, although my colleagues at PCGS declined the opportunity to encapsulate it as a proof, because of a lack of documentation or reason for it to be struck. Deep proof surface, not 100% struck up, but far better than the vast majority of the date. Ask to see it, on approval, or at a show in the near future. Please note that I discovered the Bruce Todd 1893-CC proof dollar and the Herb Bergen 1883-O proof dollar, so I do happen to know what I am talking about!! This may very well be a truly unique opportunity! 99750.>>

Anyone know anything about this coin?

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    "Anyone here have any early branch mint proofs?"

That would presume there is even such a thing.

Prooflike? Certainly. Proofs? I'm not so sure....Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Anyone here have any early branch mint proofs?"

Prooflike? Certainly. Proofs? I'm not so sure....Mike >>

So . . . you don't even think things like the 1838o half dollars, which would have been something very special since very few were made, were PROOFs?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS PRBM63

http://www.coinsite.com/content/coinpics/1855sG3L.asp

Yes, this type coin exists and is verified.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I reminded you earler in a PM, the Louisiana State Museum's Old U.S. Mint has the unique 1844-O Proof $10 on display presently, courtesy of the anonymous owner. Color images of the coin appeared on the front page of the Numismatic News October 28, 2008 issue. This is a piece that most would have expected to be a part of the National Collection in the Smithsonian Institute, and is on par with many of the unique Proof Gold type examples that were previously in the John Jay Pittman collection.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Ive really enjoyed reading alot of Walter Breen's 'Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Proof Coins 1722-1977' lately. (Which is online for those that dont knowimage)

The branch mint proof section is a wonderful read, and has some very interesting information. If you have never checked this work out, you should do so. Its a must have for anyone seriously interested in early proof coinage.
    Below is a list of O proof coins Breen mentioned in this book:

1838-O Half Dollar
    1839 O Dime
    1839 O Half Dollar
    1844 O Half Dime
    1844 O Half Eagle
    1844 O Eagle
    1845 O Half Dollar
    1851 O Trime
    1851 O Half Dollar
    1852 O Half Dollar
    1853 O Eagle
    1854 O Half Dollar
    1854 O Quarter Eagle
    1856 O Half Dime
    1857 O Half Dime
    1859 O Dollar
    1860 O Half Dime
    1860 O Dollar
    1861 O Half Dollar
    1879 O Dollar
    1883 O Dollar
    1890 O Dollar
    1891 O Quarter Dollar
    1891 O Dollar
    1892 O Dollar
    1893 O Dollar
    1895 O Quarter Dollar
    1895 O Half Dollar
    1895 O Half Dollar
    1898 O Half Dollar
    1899 O Quarter Dollar

Not mentioned is a 1891-O Dime in proof format. I have never seen this coin, but I remember recently reading about one that sold for $30$40K within the last several years at DLRC's.
    Anyone else know of any other dates that the O mint could have produced that Breen has not mentioned in his book?
    While their existence is debated, I tend to go with the crowd that says they exist.
    Alot of people here have been in this hobby far longer than I, so I ask everyone have you seen any of these coins mentioned in hand? If so, what were your thoughts and opinions?

I realize without official mint records its hard to say 100%, but the coins do not lie.

Thank you for your time and very useful dialog in this thread, its truly been an interesting read so far.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Anyone here have any early branch mint proofs?"

Prooflike? Certainly. Proofs? I'm not so sure....Mike >>

So . . . you don't even think things like the 1838o half dollars, which would have been something very special since very few were made, were PROOFs? >>

LanLord, Sorry, missed your question the first time around....

No, I don't think these branch mint coins are proofs. At least not the way I define the term - to mean made for sale to collectors, prepared on special planchets, and struck on special presses. These coins fail on all three levels.

Specimen strikes? Yes, that seems to be the best term, IMO, to describe these coins.
    Desirable and different looking from other business struck coins? Of course.
    Proofs? Not in my opinion.

Said another way, just because Breen and the TPGs call a coin a proof, doesn't make it so.

Respectfully...Mike
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there are some no brainer Branch Mint Proofs. Many though, in my mind, are certainly questionable. IMO, the 1838-O halves and 1894-S dimes are prooflike first strikes - but then again with only 20/24 minted the argument that they are proofs is reasonable.

Some are readily apparent, such at the 1844-O $5 and $10. Others just mystify me - such as the 1839-O halves.
  • Options
    How do you define proof, TDN?
  • Options
    Since Im sorta new to these coins and their history, can someone help me understand the difference between a SP and a PR?

Also, what is the Mints definition of Proof?

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    I have several including some from the Carson Mint and others from the Denver Mint!

I know they are branch mint proofs ‘cause I wrote “Proof” on the 2x2 holder myself with a permanent marker, so that’s what they are – forever…..That’s what Wally Breen did too, so it must be real.

"...the difference between a SP and a PR?"

Worms.
  • Options

<< <i>Since Im sorta new to these coins and their history, can someone help me understand the difference between a SP and a PR?

Also, what is the Mints definition of Proof? >>

New to coins or a grizzly veteran, I think those are great questions -- and ones that I doubt you will get an authoritative answer on (particularly the first one).

Those disclaimers aside, here's my opinion on your first question...

Specimen coins are struck on normal presses with (typically) normal planchets sometimes on specially prepared dies. The coins were intended for presentation or other special events.

Proof coins are struck on specially prepared planchets, using specially prepared dies (a feature common to SP coins), struck using a special (high-pressure) press (generally more than once), with the intent to be sold to the public/collectors.

Given at the time the branch mints didn't have special presses and there is (to my knowledge) no record of them being sold to the public, then the coins in question cannot be proofs.

On your second question, I'm not sure but do hope someone more familiar with Mint terminology will pipe up.

All that said, I believe the real answer to why some coins are labeled "proof" when the evidence is less than compelling -- I think it comes down to one thing: $$$.

All of the above is just one idiot's opinion, respectfully submitted....Mike
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no universally accepted definition of "proof." Therein lies your problem......
  • Options
    Now this thread is getting good!

Mike, Thank you for your opinion on the differences between SP and PR, also RWB!

Heres a coin I thought was interesting...
    From Breens book:
    "1879 O Dollar. [12] Struck Feb. 20, 1879 on
    reopening of the New Orleans Mint as a coining
    facility. Two seen; neither would ever be questioned
    by a collector seeing only the obverse! They compare
    well with Philadelphia proofs; they are among the
    most carefully made New Orleans proofs. They were
    first reported in Coin Collector's Journal about 1880,
    the listings continued for several years in pocket size
    vademecums for collectors, but after wards listings
    were dropped and the coins forgotten. One is in SI,
    the New Orleans Mint Superintendent having
    presented it to the Mint Cabinet. Two others are in
    private hands, one reportedly bringing $7500 (imp.) in
    RARCOA 1973 CSNS sale, the other Kagin 'Sale of the
    70's': 1342 at $8250."

Anyone ever see these coins?
    I can fully understand the desire to strike something special in 1879 at N.O.

• Options
    Also, while partial to O coins, RWB brought up some other mints. Heres another snippet from Breens book:

"1893 CC Dollar. [12] Wayte Raymond reported this
    mintage; occasion, souvenirs given out at some
    ceremony associated with the closing of the mint. Two
    have been authenticated, both from the VAM 2 dies."

Who authenticated these? Are these around today?
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone ever see these coins? >>

I've not seen the 79-o "proof" dollar.

I have seen, as I recall, two branch mint "proofs", a half dollar (1850's) and a dollar (1895, IIRC) Both were from from New Orleans. Clearly they were different than normal business struck coins, but frankly they just looked like well struck prooflike examples even under a loupe.

They left me with the impression (admittedly built on seeing very few examples in-hand) that they were just very well struck examples off of freshly prepared dies -- more similar to prooflike examples you see from time to time than the proofs struck at Philadelphia at the time.

I would, very much, like to hear the opinions of those who have more experience than I -- as I said earlier I'm anything but experienced with these coins, so please take the above FWIW...Mike
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭
    I presume you don't mean 1968, lol
  • Options
    Yea, the 1968 is fine. Granted its probably safe to call these proofs, right?

Theyre branch mint proofs, and while modern, they still qualify.

• Options
    John Dannruether and I have been discussing this subject (Master-Coins & early "Proofs") for years.

The basic problem is that we as numismatists today have no clear criteria in place, to define certain coins with unusual characterstics that appear different from the normal business strikes.

J D is working on a 3 volume book about these issues, but nobody knows exactly what he will be presenting in that work.

Prooflike first strikes, especially from the branch mints, are today, sometimes labeled as SP (specimen) or PR (proof). These have been validated primarily by Breen, who did not have valid confirmation or documentation to label them as such. He basically created "Specimen" strikes and copied the early proofs (begining in 1817) from Sheldon. None of what Breen presented in his proof books is based on anything factual except dealers in the 1950s & 1970s sending him pictures trying to get their coin(s) listed as such.

RWB, I, and others have pointed out that there is no record of such pieces intentionally struck as proof coinage at the branch mints. They could not get a second striking from the knucklejoint presses that were being used; and this is a key criteria for the proof designation.

There was an overlap of terminology used by Mint officials in the 1850's from Master-Coin and Proof, so the issue is not clear, even from the Mint. Therefore, the issue will continue to remain unclear until we (as a group) establish accepted diagnostics. I called for this years ago in my 1827/3/2 Quarter article in RCR.

Based on the commercial marketing of such items (for highest possible profit), we may never know the reality of BMP's, Master-Coins, or actual Proofs from the Philadelphia Mint prior to the 1850's.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1892-O Proof <<1892-O Very Choice Brilliant Proof Recently discovered, this coin is unquestionably not a commercial striking, although my colleagues at PCGS declined the opportunity to encapsulate it as a proof, because of a lack of documentation or reason for it to be struck. Deep proof surface, not 100% struck up, but far better than the vast majority of the date. Ask to see it, on approval, or at a show in the near future. Please note that I discovered the Bruce Todd 1893-CC proof dollar and the Herb Bergen 1883-O proof dollar, so I do happen to know what I am talking about!! This may very well be a truly unique opportunity! 99750.>> Anyone know anything about this coin? >>

This is my coin and I am still convinced that it is NOT a commercial strike. Since there are no other methods of striking, then it should be a proof. I have just finished a brief discussion with David Hall and John Dannreuther and they have decided that my coin is not a proof, but I continue to believe differently.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    Firstmint and Julian, thanks for the info.

If anyone hears about the J.D. book on these coins, please let me know.

Julian, why did they disagree with you about that coin being a proof? Im not doubting your experience in any way, nor theirs, just very interested in these coins.
    Is yours the only known example of this date?
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I believe that Breen called one a proof, but I do not know that this is that coin. I have never seen another like it.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

Hello community.I was just reading all the post about Branch mint proofs coins and answer your question and it's yes .I have in my possession a BMI cent I've had put away for years, they do exist.I found one and didn't even Kno what it was back in 2015 roll hunting I was shocked!!!! To see a proof in a roll of pennies so I thought I was from the sanfrancisco mint wen I saw it.I wasn't till like 2-3 days later I put it under the USB microscope and saw it had a D mint mark on it ,but it looks exactly like a 1969s but it's from Denver I was throwed as to what it's was I took it to numerous coin shops first they was dumbfounded ever where it went nobody could explain why this coin existed .So I sent it to be authinticated and graded costed a pretty pennie .So bout two weeks go by I get a call from the company congratulating me on my find and it's very valuable they told me that somehow , someway I had found the one of the mast rarest and extremely valuable Lincoln proof to be found in modern history they told me I had found a(Genuine 3.11 grams 1969D over D Lincoln memorial PROOF CENT graded(PR-67RB the only proof from the Denver in modern era they say it was made for a special person at the Denver mint or so special occasions put Denver has never made proof set or proofs for the public and all proofs from (1968 till now in 2022 all should have (S) mint mark comeing from sanfrancisco mint the proof from sanfrancisco mint and my BMP proof from the Denver mint are identical u can't tell them apart same weight, same colors frosty look.. YES they exist

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not again!

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Landz Please post photos of your coin.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still have proof of a mint branch!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I missed this guy's act on the first thread as it got closed so early, pass some popcorn.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file