Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

[Somewhat] Antagonistic From Seller After Inquiring Into BGS Serial Number

As many of you know, the older BGS labels had the subgrades and BGS serial number on the BACK of the flip/label. These cards are becoming fewer and fewer on eBay. But every now and then, I'll come across one that interests me. In those instances, I'll email the seller and kindly ask them if they could provide the BGS Serial Number and subgrades. These are two responses that I recently received:

1. "The grades on this card are 9.5,9.5,9.5 and 9. The 9 is the surface. Why do you want the serial number?"

2. "i'll do my best, but i will not be home until friday morning. plus i don't know what yopur trying to accomplish by having the serial #. i bought this from someone else last year. sorry."

Maybe antagonistic is too strong a word, but the seller's responses are certainly less than [business] friendly. Their responses seem to insinuate that I'm out to commit some kind of fraud or something. Of course, on the newer BGS labels, my question about the BGS Serial Number and subgrades wouldn't even exist in the first instance, unless the seller provides a horrible scan (which, never, ever happens).

Perhaps the seller doesn't know that you can go to www.beckett.com/grading and click on "Graded Card Lookup" to verify a card; similar to the PSA Cert Verification.

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    doesn't beckett tell you the date it was graded?

its been a long time i sent anything to them.

i prefer the older subs with the 4 different grades. it helps out on what to look for next time.
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    One or both may think you're intending to run the certs to see how many rejected cards were from the submission.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I'm also at a bit of a loss. Why do you need the serial numbers?

I would personally just send you the info and post it in the auction listing if anyone asked me this. But I'd still be curious why.

Maybe they're just worried that your motives aren't exactly honorable. image
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I can't believe that everything in my post above was addressed in Jacks original post. It's like I never read it at all???
  • Options
    People worry about what they dont understand. They assume your wanting the number for some 'bad' reason. Either to use on the registry or they just dont see why you would want it so they assume the worst.

After you get the number and if you decide not to buy the card, you should email something like, "Thanks for the number, now I can take over the world" Or give them some evil laugh.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I's ask him why he needs to keep it a secret?

Probably would have been easier just to ask him for a back scan?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Some sellers on eBay have some of the worst customer skills I've ever seen.

Here's one that just made me laugh it was so ridiculous. I email krukcards on his currently listed PSA 9 '71 Topps Bradshaw RC and ask him if I can get a close up pic of the left edge, which to his credit he mentioned was a rough cut all the way up. On the scan request, he said, that he would be unable to do that. What is it, an extra 3-4 minutes to take a close up of that left edge and send it, and an extra 30 seconds to look at my feedback to see that I've purchased cards like this in the past? I guess he just figures that his answer is sufficient whereas for me a picture speaks a thousand words, especially on a $5K card.

You would think that somebody selling such a high value card would go above and beyond to maximize interest and therefore price. Apparently this is lost on him.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I started using Fixed Pricing the number of idiotic questions I have to deal with from buyers has gone up 10X.

1) Your card is overpriced It is only worth $X (quotes a raw price). I'll send you $X for it.

2) What is the lowest price you will accept? (for a best offer listing)

3) Where did you get that list price? SMR only says is worth $X. (I clearly state that the value comes from Beckett GCI)

4) I can pay you $X (usually 1/3 of my fixed price). I can Paypal you now.

I just blow most of these questions off. I don't know why anyone gets so worked up over ebay. If you're not happy, move on.

Mike
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Some sellers on eBay have some of the worst customer skills I've ever seen.

Here's one that just made me laugh it was so ridiculous. I email krukcards on his currently listed PSA 9 '71 Topps Bradshaw RC and ask him if I can get a close up pic of the left edge, which to his credit he mentioned was a rough cut all the way up. On the scan request, he said, that he would be unable to do that. What is it, an extra 3-4 minutes to take a close up of that left edge and send it, and an extra 30 seconds to look at my feedback to see that I've purchased cards like this in the past? I guess he just figures that his answer is sufficient whereas for me a picture speaks a thousand words, especially on a $5K card.

You would think that somebody selling such a high value card would go above and beyond to maximize interest and therefore price. Apparently this is lost on him.

It's like these guys have the mindset that they are factories. Anything that is outside the lines of their assembly-line process (scan-list-ship) is not worth their time. I'm actually shocked that he even got back to you; Kruk is notorious for ignoring ebay questions. With them it's "Buy or don't buy, just don't bother me". I understand the need for operational efficiency, but these guys are losing out by not taking the time to address their customers when they have questions/requests.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    For a 5k card Kruk should have obliged.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For a 5k card Kruk should have obliged.

Steve >>

He probably has 300 watchers on that card and does not care if you bid or not. With all the stupid questions and offers I get, I would imagine he has had 25 questions asking why the card is selling so high since it only books $200. I will give you $1,000 to end the auction and sell outright, etc.

I got this question from an ebayer the other day. I was selling a rare serial numbered card and mentioned it was the lowest #'ed card of that player's rookie season. No big hype, just that statement.
    His question:

"Your gonna have to do better then that description of yours-sounds good now prove it!"

I don't even know what that means.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>"Your gonna have to do better then that description of yours-sounds good now prove it!"

I don't even know what that means. >>

I think he wants you to come to his house and show the card or something.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Clearly he does not care if I bid or not, though poor customer service tends to cost you significant $.

I'm not losing any sleep over it and neither is he.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I have owned my own business for 7 years and was manager of it for 15 before that. I get dozens of stupid questions a week via the phone or email and I take time to answer every one of them regardless of how stupid or obvious they are because today's stupid question could be coming from someone wanting to spend $5k.

To not take the time to answer each question or at least give the best possible response is just poor business practice. These type of people will be the ones holding the empty sack when the economy comes down on them and they will have only themselves to blame, but will try to put it on everyone else.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    To Thunderdan,

Our apologies for the poor response that you received from us as you should have been provided the scan that you requested. We will try to do better in the future. Thanks, Kruk Cards
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To Thunderdan,

Our apologies for the poor response that you received from us as you should have been provided the scan that you requested. We will try to do better in the future. Thanks, Kruk Cards >>

For real?? Are the "Big Boys" of the eBay sports memorabilia selling world starting to track discussions on this board? Or, is this one of our old members just up to something?
  • Options
    No idea, though at 3 posts since Dec 2007, he's not spending too much time posting responses on the board. If it is truly him, I hope in some small way my experience causes him to rethink the way he responds (or doesn't respond) to customer scan requests.

• Options
    Looks like someone is listening....errrr..reading...and actually sounds like they may do something about it. As for the Bradshaw, that's craziness!! I'd at least send you a cell phone pic!
  • Options
    I collect the 2000 Donruss Graded set, and have been upgrading and adding to it for a couple years now. I will waste money on a .5 bump on the back of the card, and since I have been doing this a little while...they are somewhat hard to find now, cards in better grades. Sellers are terrible about responding with subgrade number request, I pretty much stopped asking, and hope they provide them, show the back, or have the BGS number, so I can look them up.

There are a few cards in the set I may have looked at 50 of them and not found one without a 8.5 on the back or the like....
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Forgot to ask...Why do you want the serial number?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

<< <i>Forgot to ask...Why do you want the serial number? >>

For verification?

Just a guess...
  • Options
    I likely would not give it or think the question strange. No one ever faked an old label or a modern label BGS case that I am aware of.

But asking me would make me think you might try using it on the registry. The only logical desire I could see...is like, trying to collect only cards graded the first year of the first label. BGS shows you the grade date. Maybe? I don''t know, but it is kind of a strange question....since no one has ever faked a BGS case.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    When you look up a BGS serial number, you also see the actual date it was graded. This might be important to someone if they subscribe to the idea that cards graded before XX/XX/XXXX are graded weaker/stronger than cards graded after yy/yy/yyyy.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When you look up a BGS serial number, you also see the actual date it was graded. This might be important to someone if they subscribe to the idea that cards graded before XX/XX/XXXX are graded weaker/stronger than cards graded after yy/yy/yyyy. >>

That would be the exact reason if I were to ask for the BGS serial number. Date graded.
    Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001