Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World Coins Book or CD

ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi...I recently picked up from the BST a couple of pounds of late 20th century mixed world coins with the plan being to go through them with my kids, identify the coins, look up some info on the country, etc. so hopefully it will be fun and educational. But...there are many coins I cannot readily identify the county/year and would like to get a Krause catalog.

What I am wondering is if the CD has any extra features that make it easier to use than the book or if it is mostly the book imaged and burned to cd media. I am leaning towards the book 'cause the kids could look up the coins fairly easily I would think but if the CD has search etc. then maybe I will get that.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

K
ANA LM

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are using the book mainly for identification I suggest buying a copy that is one or two years old. Much cheaper and information is the same.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Best way to look up coins, I have found, is to determine the denomination of the coin, Franc, Pfennig, and the like. Then go to the front appendix and look up that denomination. It will then give you a list of countries that use that coin to narrow your search. When it comes to Asian, Arabic, and coins with script style writing, GOOD LUCK!!! I have found that I just do some google searching for any recognizable markings on the coin until I find a country that it may be then go into Krause and try to look it up.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought the volumes covering 1901-current and they both came with CDs. I put one in my DVD player and nothing happened, I din't have a good computer to try them there until today.

I really enjoyed the books, and eventually I will get the other volumes too.

I would say though for your desires the book would help you out big time, and be fun to scroll through with your kids.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    I did the same thing. Placed the DVD in my computer and doesn't do anything. That's because my computer only reads cd's not dvd's. Bought a dvd drive for my computer and installed it. Does the trick now.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    About $22 on Amazon, and should include the DVD.