Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2009 Britannia proofs

Will the Royal Mint issue these as a stand alone product later or will they only be part of the proof set currently offered?

Comments

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Not sure, but I think they'll have singles available.
  • Options
    ajbaumanajbauman Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    I've been working on getting some of the 2009 proofs for a while from the mint but they aren't slated to be released until late July early August.

From what I've been told by the mint, they will have the stand alone £2 proofs for 2009 and I'll be getting a couple.
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Thanks for the information ajbauman. Really wasn't interested in the current proof set except for the Britannia.
  • Options
    Maybe I wasn't clear, I'm assuming that you're talking about the 2009 £2 Silver Proof Britannia... what I meant was:

According to the mint the 2009 £2 Proof Britannias will be issued by themselves (stand-alone) AND in the 4-coin Britannia Proof sets.

They are slated to be released in late July early August and I'll be ordering some then.

I'm pretty sure that the silver proof Britannias are NOT, nor have ever been, issued in standard UK proof sets.
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Its not in the standard proof set, it is part of the The 2009 UK Family Silver Proof a six coin set that runs for 199 Pounds.

link to 09 UK Family Silver Proof Set
  • Options
    I guess I missed that set...but from the purchase page:

"In this set the coins will be made available to customers early. In some instances customers will have these new coins up to six months before their individual issue date"

The 2009 £2 Britannia proof should be one of these instances.
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options
    The BU 2009 Britannia looks like proof to me with both sides reflective. So how should a proof Britannia look like? I had always thought the 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2008 looked like proof coins. What is their difference?
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    500+% markup over spot image ................ NICE - - - for the Royal Mint !!!!

• Options

<< <i>The BU 2009 Britannia looks like proof to me with both sides reflective. So how should a proof Britannia look like? I had always thought the 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2008 looked like proof coins. What is their difference? >>

It depends on the year, but the easiest way to tell is to look at the Queen's portriat. If it's frosty, and there are shinny mirrors, chances are that it is the proof version.

The 2001 & 2003 proofs don't have a frosty reverse, but the other years also have a frosty reverse.

2008 Uncirc
    2008 Proof
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options

<< <i>

It depends on the year, but the easiest way to tell is to look at the Queen's portriat. If it's frosty, and there are shinny mirrors, chances are that it is the proof version.

The 2001 & 2003 proofs don't have a frosty reverse, but the other years also have a frosty reverse.

2008 Uncirc
    2008 Proof >>

So you mean for the 2008 proof version, the Queen is shiny mirrored and the rest of the obverse is frosted? Cos the BU I have is fully mirrored on both sides. It is the same for both the 2008 & 2009 BU Britannia.

• Options

<< <i>
    So you mean for the 2008 proof version, the Queen is shiny mirrored and the rest of the obverse is frosted? Cos the BU I have is fully mirrored on both sides. It is the same for both the 2008 & 2009 BU Britannia. >>

No, what I meant was that the easiest way to tell a Britannia proof from an uncirculated Britannia, is that the Queen's portrait is frosty and the fields are mirrored.

However on the 2008 proofs, both the Queen's portrait and the Reverse Britannia are frosted with mirrored fields.

But it depends on the year, in 2001 and 2003, the proofs don't have a frosty reverse BUT they still have a frosty Queen's portrait on the obverse.

The constant is the frosty Queen's portrait.
    Buying £2 Britannias
  • Options

<< <i>

No, what I meant was that the easiest way to tell a Britannia proof from an uncirculated Britannia, is that the Queen's portrait is frosty and the fields are mirrored.

However on the 2008 proofs, both the Queen's portrait and the Reverse Britannia are frosted with mirrored fields.

But it depends on the year, in 2001 and 2003, the proofs don't have a frosty reverse BUT they still have a frosty Queen's portrait on the obverse.

The constant is the frosty Queen's portrait. >>

Ah ... Thanks for enlightening me. So there IS difference between the BU & Proof. But it's just a bit strange that the BU version is fully mirrored while the Proof version is partially frosted and mirrored.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I have two 2007s that should be BU by this criteria, but look distinctly Proof(like)....Uggggh, paid 28 pounds incl. shipping and would say I got ripped off except it has a CLEAN cheek and not friction! Damn, maybe a capsule for that mug via PCGS??
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>You know, I have two 2007s that should be BU by this criteria, but look distinctly Proof(like)....Uggggh, paid 28 pounds incl. shipping and would say I got ripped off except it has a CLEAN cheek and not friction! Damn, maybe a capsule for that mug via PCGS?? >>

2007 BUs are very hard to find with no cheek marks. If you got it in a MS 69 slab, you should be able to get some decent money for it. Ask tootawl or pendragon, they are both looking for a 2007 Uncirc in MS 69 plastic.

All of the Silver Britannias are well struck and I could see how people would mistake them for proofs.
    Buying £2 Britannias