Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

the 1817 Texas Jolas Token of Manuel Barrera??

Well since the texas jolas token also falls roughly under the field of Spanish hacienda tokens, thought I would post this one on liteside and darkside forums.

It's a crude hammered copper token about 19-20MM in diameter, the style of a hacienda token, "M" initial stamped onto it, with a tiny "star" at the base of the "M" on one side. Could it be the heretofore undiscovered 1817 texas jolas of Manuel Barrerra?

Ok, I have had this piece for about two years now, and it came from (of all places) a large metal detecting find lot from England. Still, this piece (unlike most other pieces in the lot) didn't have that corroded and usually greenish look that you get with so many coin and artifacts dug out of the ground from England. So I'm wondering if this just wasn't a piece that was lying around, and was just thrown into the metal detecting lot. Though how and why a hacienda token (or in this case, a possible Texas jolas) gets from America to England is a mystery. Very possible, but a mystery.

I know I should assume it's a British hop token, but those are far and away typically made of lead, and if they DID want their maverick tokens to be copper, generaly they took a worn out copper halfpence or farthing of the British Isles, smoothed it out and put their own counterstamp on it. So after a while, I started thinking "this is much more hacienda token-like than British token-like."

According to the experts, the 1817 Texas Jolas of jeweler, Manuel Barreraa, were struck in quantities of a few thousand, all apparently redeemed quickly, and lost to history. The ASSUMPTION is, that the token would be 15-20 MM in diameter, design would have the iniitals "M.B" a date of "1817" and "1/2" stamped on there for a denomination. Well...THIS piece just has an "M", and on both sides. My theory: maybe this piece was some sort of trial run to see how the design element would fit onto the planchet. But the key design element on this piece is that all-intriguing tiny "star"-- as a tiny incused star is found on the 1818 Texas jolas, and is believed to be the first depiction of the Texas Lone Star emblem.

Of course a key question is...is that really a star or a star-shaped verdigris smudge? To one fellow he thought "I think that's just dirt and you're imagining it." To another person, "Yes, I do see a star." To MY eyes--both looking it at it naturally and under magnification-- I see a tiny star. And mind you, if dirt, grime, verdigris gets into the crevices of a tiny incused star shape, VOILA, you have a star-shaped verdigris/dirt/grime! So, to sum it up.....crude hammered 19-20mm copper planchet, plus "M" initial, plus "star" design element = discovery of early Texas token, possibly the 1817 Manuel Barrera Texas token or an early trial thereof! Now that I've proven my case, I will entertain all six or seven-figure offers.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I dunno Coach. I wish I could help, because I know you have been great identifying unknowns of mine. I really wish that this is a good one for you and you can actually make six digits on this coin. But, really more than anything, I hope you will be able to discover a new coin, so to speak. Either way, I hope that it is good to you!image
  • Options
    Well.....of course it's a long long shot...but man, that hacienda token style, the consistent diameter size, the "M" initial, and most of all, that
    incused star......all have me thinking 'could it possibly be....???" That's the fun of unknowns. It's also what drives you completely mad.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the experts, the 1817 Texas Jolas of jeweler, Manuel Barreraa, were struck in quantities of a few thousand, all apparently redeemed quickly, and lost to history

I believe I've seen a picture of the 1817, and it does not look anything like your piece.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I would love to see that picture!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see that picture!

I wish I had one!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    well..i'm sure what you've seen is an artist conception of what the 1817 jolas are believed to have looked like. But no one knows for sure because no actual specimens have ever come to light (except for mine, of course).
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭
    In his book Latin American Tokens, Rulau lists two different "M" marks (neither with a picture unfortunately)

Rulau#
    Mxo295 (Mexico) 1791 composition: copper size: 24mm
    small u/*M/1791*. Rv: Blank. (ANS I, C)

Rulau#
    BDT3 (Bocas Del Tora, province) No Date given, no size given
    M. Rev: Blank (Plummer pg. 7)
    --Plummer reported this item was found in use on Isla Colon, the offshore island on which the city Bocas del Toro is located in the Carribean Sea. This city was formerly known as Punta Toro.

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I have to say that I am, intrigued!! Good luck coach! -Dan
  • Options
    there would actually be several Latin America tokens with "M" monograms...but the key design element for me, is that tiny little--and what i assume to be-- incuse star. Because the 1818 texas jolas tokens have that small incuse star as a reverse design element . So maybe if this isn't actually THE 1817 manuel barrera token, maybe it's an early texas token of SOME kind.