Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

i've discovered the pre-1818 texas jolas of manuel barrera!

It's a crude hammered copper token about 19-20MM in diameter, the style of a hacienda token, "M" initial stamped onto it, with a tiny "star" at the base of the "M" on one side. Could it be the heretofore undiscovered 1817 texas jolas of Manuel Barrerra?

Ok, I have had this piece for about two years now, and it came from (of all places) a large metal detecting find lot from England. Still, this piece (unlike most other pieces in the lot) didn't have that corroded and usually greenish look that you get with so many coin and artifacts dug out of the ground from England. So I'm wondering if this just wasn't a piece that was lying around, and was just thrown into the metal detecting lot. Though how and why a hacienda token (or in this case, a possible Texas jolas) gets from America to England is a mystery. Very possible, but a mystery.

I know I should assume it's a British hop token, but those are far and away typically made of lead, and if they DID want their maverick tokens to be copper, generaly they took a worn out copper halfpence or farthing of the British Isles, smoothed it out and put their own counterstamp on it. So after a while, I started thinking "this is much more hacienda token-like than British token-like."

According to the experts, the 1817 Texas Jolas of jeweler, Manuel Barreraa, were struck in quantities of a few thousand, all apparently redeemed quickly, and lost to history. The ASSUMPTION is, that the token would be 15-20 MM in diameter, design would have the iniitals "M.B" a date of "1817" and "1/2" stamped on there for a denomination. Well...THIS piece just has an "M", and on both sides. My theory: maybe this piece was some sort of trial run to see how the design element would fit onto the planchet. But the key design element on this piece is that all-intriguing tiny "star"-- as a tiny incused star is found on the 1818 Texas jolas, and is believed to be the first depiction of the Texas Lone Star emblem.

Of course a key question is...is that really a star or a star-shaped verdigris smudge? To one fellow he thought "I think that's just dirt and you're imagining it." To another person, "Yes, I do see a star." To MY eyes--both looking it at it naturally and under magnification-- I see a tiny star. And mind you, if dirt, grime, verdigris gets into the crevices of a tiny incused star shape, VOILA, you have a star-shaped verdigris/dirt/grime! So, to sum it up.....crude hammered 19-20mm copper planchet, plus "M" initial, plus "star" design element = discovery of early Texas token, possibly the 1817 Manuel Barrera Texas token or an early trial thereof! Now that I've proven my case, I will entertain all six or seven-figure offers.

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, to sum it up.....crude hammered 19-20mm copper planchet, plus "M" initial, plus "star" design element = discovery of early Texas token, possibly the 1817 Manuel Barrera Texas token or an early trial thereof! Now that I've proven my case, I will entertain all six or seven-figure offers. >>

A very interesting find! If you can get it into a PCGS Genuine holder, I will make a six-figure offer. ($1,000.00 is six figures, isn't it?) imageimage

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    That makes one believer! I'm on a roll!
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    VERY interesting find! If that can be proven, that would be amazing.

My Theorys on how it got to England:

Was in possesion of some one who was trying to escape Texas and fled across the Atlantic
    Was sent there to try and recieve funding to make better items in the future
    a knowledgable collector, or even a curious collector, was visiting Texas at the time and brought it home for a collecton or as a momento
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>VERY interesting find! If that can be proven, that would be amazing.

My Theorys on how it got to England:

Was in possesion of some one who was trying to escape Texas and fled across the Atlantic
    Was sent there to try and recieve funding to make better items in the future
    a knowledgable collector, or even a curious collector, was visiting Texas at the time and brought it home for a collecton or as a momento >>

Your theory is flawed.

Who'd want to escape Texas?
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL. Convicts?
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who'd want to escape Texas? >>

Military folks are forced to leave. I call it a sentence with prison rules in effect.

Good job on your find! Congrats!

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who'd want to escape Texas? >>

Ever spend a summer here? image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not see that as a star.
    Just an anonymous letter punch, IMHO.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Did anything ever come of this coin?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL. Convicts? >>

Especially the ones on death row.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I was initially excited about this coin, but some new information has come to light, along with a coin and this is not a trial run jola 1/2 real, and after many discussions with various Texas coin and currency experts this has nothing to do with Texas. Sorry.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never mind. I'll start another thread...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    start another thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file