Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1s this 1883 Nickel a proof?

It has a very mirrory surface and is cameo. But, the strike is not centered well on the planchet. Is it?

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    it sure looks like one but i'm no pro
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Proof to me - because of the squared rims.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i'm going with business strike......first year of new dies and strikes were full

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    This one I know for certain IS a proof. What is the difference?

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one I know for certain IS a proof. What is the difference? >>

Look at the detail in the lowest two ears of corn. Also, the first coin you posted has several bag marks on the face.

There are several known dies for proofs. Unfortunately, I haven't paid much attention to them.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most 83 circs have a die crack in the top half-though generally they connect some stars
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I was once told one characteristic is (don't know if there is any truth to this what-so-ever) that the business struck 1883 has definition inside Liberty's ear where the proof struck specimens is void of detail.

Believe it or not, these images sort of follow that criteria. But who know's, freshly polished dies can attain the same results, you be the judge.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    FEC,

your coin has die cracks through the date and the point of neck and also over the tiara

I also wonder if it is truly slightly off-center or if someone got sloppy with their editing program

Is this your coin or a potential purchase?

I would say a well-struck business strike

the coin in hand may change my mind (squared rim - reflective edge)
  • Options
    I own both of them. The look very similar in hand. Mirrory surface and the NC is more of a cameo than the WC. The WC is from a PCGS PR64 Slab.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    <<<was once told one characteristic is (don't know if there is any truth to this what-so-ever) that the business struck 1883 has definition inside Liberty's ear where the proof struck specimens is void of detail. >>>

neat lil tipimage
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    they are both very nice coins

when I said I may change my mind with coin in hand,

I meant by looking at the edge from the edge

the 1/8" edge to see if corners rounded or square and reflectivity

not sure if I have heard anyone describe the edge as watery surface

of course this is difficult with coins in slabs
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I would guess that it's a proof. I have NEVER in the last 8 years of searching seen a business strike no cents nickel struck that well. First year with the new dies and striking the coin from nickel means they simply didn't come that well struck! You either get a well struck obverse or reverse, but usually not both.

If indeed it is a business strike and you get it holdered as such and you want to sell it, please let me know! image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is obviously a MS. Note the die crack from the coronet to the rim at 12:00. That is not found on Proofs. Also, this issue does not come with die striations on the field in proof format. The MS issue typically comes with exceptional strike. They were widely saved so exceptional PL piece do exist. There is absolutely no way this is a Proof.

Sometimes high end MS pieces were sold in Proofs sets during this era. If this coin came out of an original Proof set, it still would not make it a Proof. The bag marks suggest rough handling not associated with Proof coins.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Thanks, I appreciate your help. To me that is a definitive answer. What grade would you assign to this coin just from looking at the photo?
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes high end MS pieces were sold in Proofs sets during this era. If this coin came out of an original Proof set, it still would not make it a Proof. >>

You're correct that business strikes were substituted in proof sets on an as needed basis. I don't think they were selected for quality or prooflike characteristics though.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    edited

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

Ive always believed tha type A revrrse (hand engraved, slightly diff lettering positioning, doubled S then corrected) is only used on tha proof issue. Type B reverse (normal) is known for buisness strikes. Someone correct if not consistant.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file