Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German Notgled References

Anyone know of any websites dedicated to German Notgeld coinage? I have a couple I need to attribute....
Todd

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Paper or tokens? -Dan
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Coinage..
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I have a book. If you can give me the city, I can give you the rarity or maybe I can give you an idea.-Dan
  • Options
    I have a 1 Pfennig that has no date on it. Has a hole in the center with the letters RWKH on the back. The only reference I have found to this coin is the words, Rheinisch – Westfälische Kalkwerke Hönnetal. When I look this up I find only references to rocks, lime, and companies that mine. No idea what it is. Made of Zinc and looks to be from the Notgeld era. I know a picture would be handy right now but I haven't gotten around to imaging it. I bought a big lot of world coins the other day and I am still going through them all.
  • Options
    Rheinisch – Westfälische Kalkwerke was a mining company that used forced/slave labor during the Nazi era. One of their camps was called Hagen.

This is the only example I could find, RWK/OH 10 Pfennig.

• Options
    Looks almost like that except a 1 pfennig with a hole in the center... I guess this was coinage issued by the mining company for the slaves???
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭✭
    Check www.germancoins.com owned by Ron Guth also check with Karl Stephens. Both are experts on German coins and can lead you to catalogues for notgeld coinage.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Joel's Coins Notgeld coins site.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    Now I'm not so sure this is going to be Notgeld.... it appears that it may be private money issued by this slave camp to pay it's workers....