Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Big Papi Done?

will the saux simply cut him?

he is killing them and his swing looks like a 7th grade bat speed....

how the mighy have fallen......

Comments

• Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    He'll be playing for the Royals soon.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    He looked good last night. His best months historically are June and July. I
    think the Sox will wait until August to make a stretch-run decision.
  • Options
    Pujols used steroids.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pujols used steroids. >>

Used??
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict Albert Pujols will get in the Steroid Hall of Fame on the first ballot.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He looked good last night. His best months historically are June and July. I
    think the Sox will wait until August to make a stretch-run decision. >>

What are his stats for June and July v the other months?

I found them at baseball-reference.com. July is his best month; September is his 2nd best, with June a close 3rd.
  • Options
    I just dont think those stats are valid fellas. Sorry, he is done.
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    "Is Big Papi Done?"

Done eating? No
    Done spitting? No
    Done haunting houses? No
    Done putting up decent offensive stats? Yep, definitely!
  • Options
    187 at bats
    .187 batting average

The guy is done.

By the way, Joe Mauer is hitting .436 after todays game. 110 at bats with 48 hits!

Jason Bay has turned into a heck of a bat though...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for once I agree with the troll
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>for once I agree with the troll >>

I cant believe it because I do too!

image I bet that since we actually agreed on something that he says it will be a few extra belts off the jug o' moonshine he drinks over there in the backwoods of Missouri! image

His day is complete! image
  • Options
    boston.com has an article saying that Ortiz is seeking an eye exam
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Too bad because he was one hell of a hitter and player.

Good guys like him are few and far between.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    hell yeah. We (Sox fans) would love for him to find his swing, regain his vision, exorcise the demons, or do whatever it is that would bring his ability back, but it sure looks like he's not going to do that. And that makes me believe he achieved through medications. image
  • Options
    Yep... He was worthless in Minnesota, as soon as he met Mr. Ramirez, well...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think it has to do with his wrist, I broke mine a few years back and it took me almost 3 years
    to get it back to 75%. I think Papi just got old. Ain't the first time this has happened to a 34-38
    year old ball player.

Some say he is older then his listed age too.

Medications? Possibly.

Steve

edited : typos.................for the edit police
    Good for you.
  • Options
    sheaths that wrap tendons in the wrist -- that's not such a common injury location. Gotta be the withdrawal of the meds.
  • Options

<< <i> Gotta be the withdrawal of the meds. >>

I agree.
  • Options
    his injury is a very difficult one to recuperate; he should NOT have played last year. I spoke with some of my Ortho co-workers who figured he was going to be all done; they were amazed he came back at all. He is nowhere near 100%$ and is at the tail end of his career.
  • Options
    I will always have a love for Big Papi- same as Manny for what they have done for Red Sox Nation.

The truth might be that he is not 100% recovered from his wrist injury coupled with his age but unfortunately I cant believe that he was one of the very few guys not to have done the juice- I think its the lack of HGH/Steroids that is his problem.

Maybe Im wrong but I dont think so.
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    To answer the OP's original question.....

Uh...no.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    A++ resurrection.

imageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To answer the OP's original question.....

Uh...no. >>

LOL. Seems dialed in, doesn't he?!
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    Papi's got himself 3 rings, now (the only player left from the '04 championship). That puts him right up there with total Red Sox rings.....could he have the most rings for a Sox player?? Anyone know (don't have to make me use Google, PLEASE!!
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Papi done. As in Papi Done Did It!

As for Rings, yes, Ortiz would have the most World Series Rings AS a Red Sox player - in the strict sense of having a WS Ring, because there really were not many rings issued before the 1920s. But there were a few players that were also on three Red Sox WS Championship teams. I think Speaker, Duffy, Ruth, Gardner, Carrigan, were on three of the four Series Champinships from 1912-1918. Harry Hooper would be reigning champ however, with 4 Red Sox Championships playing on the '12, '15-16, and '18 teams. Four Championships, but not four rings.

Congratulations to the Champs - CHAMPS!

Cue the duckboats!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I told you all so from before the season even started.

CONGRATS TO THE WORLD CHAMPION RED SOX!
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess now WS MVP Ortiz ended up getting the last laugh?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess now WS MVP Ortiz ended up getting the last laugh? >>

Nah, the judge will at the steroid trial.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>

Nah, the judge will at the steroid trial. >>

Bitter petty cardinal fans are the best!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Nah, the judge will at the steroid trial. >>

Bitter petty cardinal fans are the best! >>

Papi is the MAN!
  • Options

<< <i>I will always have a love for Big Papi- same as Manny for what they have done for Red Sox Nation.

The truth might be that he is not 100% recovered from his wrist injury coupled with his age but unfortunately I cant believe that he was one of the very few guys not to have done the juice- I think its the lack of HGH/Steroids that is his problem.

Maybe Im wrong but I dont think so. >>

I was wrong! image
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course Big Papi is done.

Haven't you heard? The Red Sox won the World Series last night...therefore, Big Papi is done FOR 2013 that is...I'm pretty confident he'll come roaring back just in time for Spring training in Ft Myers. Oh, BTW, he was the MVP to boot!

So glad my earlier skepticism of the team's performance was proven to be so wrong.
  • Options
    Ellsbury has 11 GM's after him already!

What is most important to him in his life is the question right now?

Does he want to remain a Red Sox player for life or will he be like Pedroia and take 100 million to stay within his comfort zone in Boston.

How much money do we all need to make us happy in life?

How much money will he be satisfied with?

• Options
    It's easy to say how much money take to be happy when it's not our money. But 30 million dollars is still 30 freaking million dollars.
  • Options
    Papi is " DONE "going to have another big year next year.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ellsbury has 11 GM's after him already!

Does he want to remain a Red Sox player for life or will he be like Pedroia and take 100 million to stay within his comfort zone in Boston.

How much money will he be satisfied with? >>

Somebody is going to end up way overpaying this guy. He's going to get superstar money when the reality is, well, he simply isn't one. We're talking about a guy with a career OPS+ of 108 who, really, has had only one good offensive season in the majors. And that one looks like a fluke. He's a speed guy and speed is almost always the first thing to in a player. He's excellent defensively but not all-world. Is he really worth $25-$30m a year when he'll be 30 next year? I don't think so. He's a fine player and all but c'mon.
  • Options
    He was 13th this year in WAR, and was first in 2011.

He'll be overpaid, but it won't be by much. Throw in the diluted free agent pool and some team will simply have to overpay based on skill set and the lack of good, available talent. He won't be Albert Pujols bad, but he will be a bit overpaid.
  • Options
    90% of these guys are overpaid but the ball parks are filled up so who is the idiot here
  • Options
    a separate Ellsbury thread would be cool. If anyone signs for more than five years at 14-15 annually, I think they overpay. I look at the JD Drew contract as overpaying but easy enough to deal with
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ellsbury has 11 GM's after him already!

How much money will he be satisfied with? >>

Somebody is going to end up way overpaying this guy. He's going to get superstar money when the reality is, well, he simply isn't one. We're talking about a guy with a career OPS+ of 108 who, really, has had only one good offensive season in the majors. And that one looks like a fluke. He's a speed guy and speed is almost always the first thing to in a player. He's excellent defensively but not all-world. Is he really worth $25-$30m a year when he'll be 30 next year? I don't think so. He's a fine player and all but c'mon. >>

This!^^

I said it before in another thread about Ellsbury... He's not worth Pujols money (and Pujols isn't worth Pujols money either). He doesn't bring enough to the table to warrant anything close to $30 mil/yr. no matter the contract length...and anyone thinking he is, is deluded or a mindless fanboy.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Ugh, if my Mariners overpay for him, I'll continue to not go to games.
  • Options

<< <i>Ugh, if my Mariners overpay for him, I'll continue to not go to games. >>

Why wouldn't you go to see Ellsbury play in Seattle? He's a huge upgrade over anyone currently there, is a legit hitter, and would make the lineup better from day one. Why wouldn't you go to support that?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He was 13th this year in WAR, and was first in 2011.

He'll be overpaid, but it won't be by much. Throw in the diluted free agent pool and some team will simply have to overpay based on skill set and the lack of good, available talent. He won't be Albert Pujols bad, but he will be a bit overpaid. >>

I'm of the opinion that WAR significantly overrates defense and baserunning. Does anybody REALLY believe that Ellsbury was the best player in baseball in 2011? Or 13th best this year? Plus, again, he'll be 30 and relies heavily on speed. Any kind of aging or leg problem and his game drops off big-time.
  • Options
    Happy birthday David!