Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Southern California Coin and Jewelry Show, Ontario June 18/19/20

New show in Ontario, California, at the Ontario Convention Center, just off the 10 Fwy by Ontario International Airport.
Hours are;
Thursday 06/18 2pm-7pm
Friday 06/19 10am-7pm
Saturday 06/20 10am-6pm
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY

Comments

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be there - I know of many Southern California dealers who will be there too. DEI is doing a heck of job promoting this show, even has a big huge banner sign off the freeway!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    I added it to the CoinZip Coin Show Calendar.......

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I too have a table and am very happy with the promotion and advertising. See ya there.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The advertising flyers I saw for this show made it seem like nothing more than one of those local deals where the old folks bring in their gold for cash... glad to hear it's actually a real show image Might have to make an appearance depending on what's going on that weekend. image
  • Options
    It's also mentioned in the new greysheet! Great people too DEI Ontario convention center is a great venue! went too many a gun shows there

I will be there!

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The promoters have put a lot of effort into promoting this show. Only time will tell if those efforts prove fruitful. I will probably be at the show either on Thursday or Friday.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Here's a link to DEI's website for this show and the Bakersfield show.

http://www.ckshows.com/
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try to make my first ever appearance... Heard it's gonna be a great show.
  • Options
    cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    I sure hope more than a half dozen forumites show up!
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • Options
    coming up fast!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what the admission and parking fees will be?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad you can't push that back a week.

I'll be in the OC a week later for a wedding on Sunday and a bike ride from City of Orange up into Silvarado and Modjeska Canyons on Saturday.

But I'd make some time to see a new coin show if I were there at the time.
  • Options
    Admission is free, but I'm not sure how much the parking fee is.
    See y'all there!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to it - I am hearing that a lot of people are planning to attend and I know many SoCal dealers have signed up to participate as well. For a new show, I think it will have a pretty good turn out. Any forum members, be sure to stop by my table and say hi (you might even cath me serving wine and cheese in the afternoon!).
  • Options
    Admission is free, Early Bird badge is $25. Here's a link to the show: SoCal Ontario Coin Show
  • Options
    Anyone going to be at the ontario show that's knowledgable on $2.5 & $5 gold indian's?

thanx
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
  • Options

<< <i>
    I'll be in the OC a week later for a wedding on Sunday and a bike ride from City of Orange up into Silvarado and Modjeska Canyons on Saturday. >>

Sounds like LanLord will also be visiting the famous Cook's Corner........

• Options
    Showtime!
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    I'll be the fat guy trying to charm pennylady. image
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be the fat guy trying to charm pennylady. image >>

I'll be the lady dealer with a big smile on my face saying to Mr. charming A039 "how much do you want me to lower the price on this coin?"
  • Options
    I will be there tomorrow. Teletrade will be there too.
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    are any of you going to save some fun for me if I go on Saturday???? or should i just stay home image
  • Options
    Very nice show, half the dealers were from vegas. All very pleasent to talk to, and no old stinky dudes!

They said today was way more active than yesterday, said hi to Charmy and met Arizonajack.

There is a NGC 1927 MS66 SLQ- the thing is a moose, the dealer was asking for $1000, about $300 more than past auctions, anyone else see it?

Got me a very nice toned mint state 1853 trime, life is good.
  • Options
    Absolutely! Be sure to stop by my able and AJ's table and well at least well be good for a few laughs!
  • Options
    Im at booth #80

Seems like this show is chocked full of messageboard fanatics! lol (cointalk & here)

Come by an say HI!
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parking is $8. Ouch. I cheated and went across the street in the business/office park.

No national dealers that I saw; lots of local and regional folks. Dealers seemed to really like the fact that tables were only $295, versus the insanity cost of Long Beach.

Many of the coins in cases had prices on them, although most of them were stupidly high for this current soft market.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    will probably show up today image
  • Options
    Was a fun show and worth the trip out to Ontario for sure. Hope this becomes a regular show. Saw lots of great coins and was able to meet up with several forum members as well which is always cool too image
  • Options
    It was a great show. Period.

Illini's 1908-S grading set was a pleasure to behold !!!

Sit down for this, I bought not one but 2 sets of Jeffs !!! LOL, Charmy and Ilinni saw them.
    I was sorry to miss Stella and Stepanie, but we will return in December. Two thumbs up and 5 fulls stars to CK shows.

EDIT. WTCG was our first customer, buying 3 coins during set-up. Always a pleasure to run into you Wei. Also a cool note. Mr Organic and I were direct neighbors, I was table 81, he 80.....and a great neighbor. I didn't cherrypick him too bad, softball this time. He reamed us a tad as well. Fun stuff. I soaked Charmy on a cpl coins and she got me back at the poker table.

• Options
    Yes, I agree, Dawn and Frank did a great job promoting this show, setting it up, accommodating the dealers, etc. And the show was a great venue, lots of space to move around, and great hotels as well. I will definitely return too! It was fun seeing all the forum people that Jack mentioned at this show. And yes, Jack sold me several new PCGS AU Lincoln cents to add to the nice stack I already have, had to pay primo money since they are so nice, but there were dates I didn't have so I went ahead and gave him a wad of my money. But I got a few dollars back later that night image All in all, we had a great time, hung out with good friends, and made a little money - couldn't ask for much more than that!
  • Options
    It was a great first time show! met numerous board members, dealers & collectors! I will be back! Aj was a great neighbor!

MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
  • Options
    I did notice a lady asking to see resale #'s, was she from the tax board?
  • Options
    Here is my very brief show report that was on another thread that got buried in a hurry.

I was at the show on Thursday from noon until 4pm. There were actually more tables than I expected and the convention facilities were on the whole fairly nice. There were also plenty of the wholesale dealers in attendance and a few tables were attended by dealers who were from out of state.

Retail attendance was practically nonexistent on Thursday.

The lighting in the bourse room wasn't the best but it wasn't that bad. I've seen much worse. Parking at the convention center costs an absurd $8 ( which is $8 too much for a place like ontario). Park at an adjacent shopping center or hotel and it's free.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked these up when I went. It was a nice show.

I showed this 1879-O Morgan on another thread but trying out some new backgroundsimage
    I haven't been able to find one with this much toning, maybe they are out there but haven't seen any.

• Options

<< <i>I did notice a lady asking to see resale #'s, was she from the tax board? >>

Yep. CA state enforcement board, there were 2 with badges and 4 undercovers !!! We now have a CA state tax license, but it is never good when someone with a badge approaches you and states " I'm from the government and I'm here to help you"image
  • Options
    4 undercover???? why they undercover? what were they seeking
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
  • Options

<< <i>4 undercover???? why they undercover? what were they seeking >>

They were seeking to enforce tax collectingimage

I was out front smokin a cig and saw them leave in the same van. The 4 " scouts" were trolling tables asking prices, etc etc, then the badged ones would come and ask your price range of all merchandise for the forms we had to fill out. I do not ( cannot confirm ) know that test buys were made, but I do have an inkling that they were.
  • Options
    ADD, I had one CA dealer make me fill out a resale form on a cash purchase. I used my AZ # and wrote CA # applied for and pending.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    It is the responsibility for the show promoter to have all attending dealers submit a CA resale form, not just a number, to the promoter. If the promoter fails to do such, they can be fined. However, it is also required that the attending dealer have a valid resale card on hand at any time for just such occurences. The CA state board of Equalization worked out a plan several years ago to have a NEXUS with visiting out of state dealers whereby they may attend or do business in the state of CA for 15 days without having a CA resale number.

TRUTH
  • Options
    The dude I bought the trime from kinda freaked when I told him(after we negotiated) image
  • Options
    What I noticed at this show and at the Long Beach show last month was that just about every dealer I dealt with did NOT mention sales tax when quoting prices on their coins. However, once I decided I was going to purchase a coin from the dealer, a few of them then said they would have to add sales tax as well. Regardless of whether or not they are required to charge the tax or not, that failure to mention it until after a price is negotiated just rubbed me the wrong way in that price negotiated isn't really a "final" price. In just about every case though, I just proposed that the dealer would need to lower the pre-tax "final" price and then tack on the tax to get back to the price quoted. In all but one case that sealed the deal. Unfortunately, I did end up passing on one purchase because the dealer wouldn't sell a coin at what I thought was the negotiated price.

That said, I'm not totally against sales taxes or anything like that. I pay sales taxes on almost every purchase I make in California, including coin purchases from California coin dealers. However, until this summer the phrase "sales tax" had never come up at any coin show I had ever been to. I just think that if a dealer is going to acutally charge the tax it should be mentioned when quoting prices to customers. Maybe that'll become unnecessary someday when all the dealers are complying with the laws and collecting taxes and buyers like me will automatically count on paying it in the same way I do in my other purchases. Until that time, it's a little frustrating for me as a buyer when only some of the dealers are playing by the rules and you don't know which ones they are until the very last second of a deal.

• Options
    The sad part about a state tax as in California, it sits at I think 8.75%. but in some areas it is 8.50 or I had seen at high as 9/25%- California is messed up and they do not know how to control it.

It would probably behoove show promoters to have signs made up for the dealers at these shows that state what the sales tax is when purchasing coins/coin related items during the show, and if the purchase price is above as in cali- 1500.00 then there is no sales tax.

But the crxt of the matter is- all states vary when it comes to taxing items and if a shifty dealer does not want to pay taxes, he will have already figured a way around the tax man whether he cometh or not!

So the sho wwas not a bad one! Good to read this.
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I will have a table at this years show..anyone else ?
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options

<< <i>I will have a table at this years show..anyone else ?
    Larry >>

I'm back!

DEI promotes heavy! .....add in metals on a rocket launch & this will be a good show
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    I may want a table at the Anaheim show also..just need info.
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    I will be at the December Ontario 17-19, 2009, show as well! And regarding the Anaheim show, I have a table there, and I understand there is usually a waiting list to get a table there. But you can stop by and ask Jerry Atkinson (the owner) if you can get on the list.
  • Options
    I will be at the December Ontario 17-19, 2009, show as well! And regarding the Anaheim show at the Embassy Suites, I have a table there too, but I understand there is usually a waiting list to get a table there. But you can stop by and ask Jerry Atkinson (the owner) if you can get on the list.
  • Options
    Wish I could make it but I have to work Thurs 12/17 and I have to catch a flight out of LAX on 12/18. Just bad timing I guess. I thought this was a good show last time around and hope it continues and doesn't lose out on being so close to the Holidays and the PCGS Vegas show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file