Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

HELP SAVE LIVES! My THANK YOU to my fellow Board Members!

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO SO VERY GENEROUSLY DONATED TO THE LEUKEMIA AND LYMPHOMA SOCIETY.

Yesterday I ran The Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. The weather was fantastic ... a great day to run 26.2 miles. (I know, it's NEVER a great day to run that far!) This was my sixth full marathon, although I have NOT run one in almost 4 years as I was racing triathlons instead (when I was not injured!) For those of you that are/were MARINES, I must say that this was one of the BEST organized events I have ever raced. KUDOS go out to THE MARINES ... OOOOOH - RAHHHHHHH.

Again, thank you for helping me raise almost FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS for this one race. My time was not great, but it was about what I expected since it has been some time since I ran 26.2.

Bib............FName...............LName.....City........State.......Country.......Age......Chip Time
18668.......DOUGLAS..........MOLLO....ST JAMES..NY.......... ..USA............51.............4:49:33

All the money you guys donated will be used to fund research to find a cure. If it were not for people like you, this little girl may not have been around for me to hug and kiss goodnight!

MY ORIGINAL POST FOLLOWS
Hey guys and girls,

As many of you already know, my little girl, Francesca, was diagnosed with CANCER (Leukemia) at the age of 3 in January, 2003. She spent the first month after her diagnoses in the hospital and over the next 2.5 years had many other stays in the hospital. She began her treatment the day after she was diagnosed. What was her treatment? OVER NINE HUNDRED consecutive days of Chemo! Yup! Chemo, EVERY DAY, for 2.5 years!!!! In addition, she had more than 25 Spinal Taps and a few operations during her treatment.

Shortly after her diagnoses I heard about "Team In Training", a Team sponsored by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They train ORDINARY people to run Marathons (26.2 miles), cycle in 100 mile races and race Triathlons. Well, when I first heard about them 6 years ago I was 45 years old and could not run 1/2 mile! There was no way I could do this! But after realizing what Francesca was going through I said "I AM GOING TO DO IT!" Well, 5 full marathons and 5 triathlons later I'm still at it (even though I am SLOW! LOL). I have raised in excess of $30,000.00 to date. Although I was out of action for 15 months due to two operations, I am back at it and will be running the MARINE CORPS MARATHON in WASHINGTON DC on October 25, 2009.

Here's why I do it: To raise money for LLS to help find a cure for all blood related Cancers so one day no child will have to go thru what Francesca had to endure.

Here is how you can help ... I am going to do all the running (up to 40 miles per week) and training and I ask that you make a donation.

The Link to make a donation by credit card

If you prefer to make a donation by check, it should be payable to "THE LEUKEMIA & LYMPHOMA SOCIETY" and mailed to my house. Please send me a PM if you need my address.

If you have any questions please feel free to write them in this thread or PM me.

THANKS and STAY HEALTHY! May we all be part of THE CURE!

Doug
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    My wife ran for T&T at the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon in '01. She personally raised $3,700 for Leuk. Society! I drank beer and listened to the bands. It did however inspire me to get off my butt. I ran my first marathon (slowly) four months later at 40yo. Give it Hell, it's not that difficult.

My neighbor, who's approaching 60, does 100mile races twice a year! Now that's nuckin' futs.

Easy online schedule of prescribed miles. Novice tng schedule. 26.2
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    San Diego R&R is a fun Marathon! This years took place 2 days ago.

I did San Diego with TNT in '04 and '05.

Tell your wife I said THANK YOU! My little girl is alive because of people like her!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    PM sent.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    SteveK ... Thank you for the donation!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Steve (Win Pitcher) thank you for your donation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Donation made, and your daughters are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Side Pocket (Mark?????) - Thank you for the nice comment and for your donation!!!

Kevin (JoeStalin) - thank you for your donation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    JVetteJVette Posts: 206
    Donation made.
    My family has been touched by leukemia - and I appreciate your efforts and all the donors.
    God speed to your and your family.
    All the best - Jack
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Doug,

Donation made in honor of your daughter and your wife. It's relatively small $, but hopefully the combined effort of a lot of small donations can make a big difference.

Take care my friend,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    DOUG- Although I have been out of the Marines for 6 months, I will get of my lazy but, and train for this event in October. And in addition, I am going to give a few items for sale that can also raise money for your daughters care.

SEMPER FIDELIS

Mark
  • Options
    Mark ... thank you very much. But realize that this money is NOT going to my family or for my daughter's care ... it is going directly to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society to help fund Blood Cancer Research and the other work they do for Cancer Patients.

Edited to add: Mark, if you were in THE MARINES six months ago you should be in AWESOME shape ... YOUNG ... and have NO PROBLEM training for the event. REMEMBER: I am 51 and 6 years ago when I started training for my first Marathon I could NOT run 1/2 mile! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Jack (Jvette) - Thank you for your donation.

Mike (The navarro) - Thank you for your donation

Donald Mc (DaddyMc) - Thank you for your donation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    John (JMoran19) - Thanks for the contribution!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Barry (Stown) - Thanks for the donation!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Paul (PerkDog) - Thank you for your donation.

**Please note that donations made by check will not show up on my website until 4 - 6 weeks later.**
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Trying to keep it on page 1.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Bottom 9th - PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    BUMP! image

To the top for a great cause

A little contribution to help image

God bless
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Check going out tomorrow Doug!

Bob...
  • Options
    Bill (InitialD) - Thank you for the donation!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    The 'ole mornin bump!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Evening bump.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Bump to page 1
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    Morning bump.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Doug, Donation Made

Take Care,
    Matt
  • Options
    Matt (MBMiller25) - Thanks for the donation!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! This past week I received donations for the The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in excess of TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS, of which $580.00 was from Board Members! THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!!!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Night Bump.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Well, I'm headed out to run TEN miles this morning. Speak with you guys later.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Bob (Bottom 9th) - Thanks for the donation!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Brian (BMan90278) - Thanks for the donation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    So far the great people from this board have donated $650.00! You people are AWESOME!

Overall I have receivedTHREE THOUSAND DOLLARSin donations!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    A little bump.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Duncan Harvey (not sure of your name on these boards) ... Thank you for the donation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Greg (ChiChi) - Thank you for the donation.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    UPDATE: The very generous people on this board have donated EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS to date!

My total contributions thru this morning are THREE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS .

Last week I ran 25 miles.

I'm running 9 or 10 tomorrow and should have about 25 miles in this week as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Ran ten miles this morning ... it's generous people like you guys that help inspire this 51 year old to keep on runnin!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Albert (Alpemomo) - Thank you for the donation!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO SO VERY GENEROUSLY DONATED TO THE LEUKEMIA AND LYMPHOMA SOCIETY.

Yesterday I ran The Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. The weather was fantastic ... a great day to run 26.2 miles. (I know, it's NEVER a great day to run that far!) This was my sixth full marathon, although I have NOT run one in almost 4 years as I was racing triathlons instead (when I was not injured!) For those of you that are/were MARINES, I must say that this was one of the BEST organized events I have ever raced. KUDOS go out to THE MARINES ... OOOOOH - RAHHHHHHH.

Again, thank you for helping me raise almost FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS for this one race. My time was not great, but it was about what I expected since it has been some time since I ran 26.2.

Bib............FName...............LName.....City........State.......Country.......Age......Chip Time
    18668.......DOUGLAS..........MOLLO....ST JAMES..NY.......... ..USA............51.............4:49:33

All the money you guys donated will be used to fund research to find a cure. If it were not for people like you, this little girl may not have been around for me to hug and kiss goodnight!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    I'm really sorry I missed this thread Doug. Can I still contribute?
  • Options

<< <i>I'm really sorry I missed this thread Doug. Can I still contribute? >>

PM Sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Doug, Great Job, Congrats on the 26.2!
  • Options
    Thank you Matt!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Good Job Doug image

I saw a pic of the marathon on the USMC website.

Did you happen to take any pics?

Good job on finishing strong!

OORAH
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Big Race Doug!

Congrats on finishing in one piece image

Not a bad time, I'd prob make it in a couple days!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

Matt ... Tomorrow I will scan the picture of Jennifer that I had on the back of my singlet for all 26.2 miles. If I forget, please remind me.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug