Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

COMPETITION: Identification until Christmas (Post your unidentified coins here...)

Who of the members has the most knowledge and is most able to identify coins?

I guess everyone here has some coins, tokens or medals they don’t have a clue on. At least I have lots of them.

So here are the rules:

For coin owners who want their coins identified:
- Everyone can feel free to enter coins for identification.
- You can enter a maximum of one coin per day (Remember – it’s going to last all the way until Christmas). Try to spread your coins so that there will be a stable flow of coins for identification these 6+ months. (If as much as 5 days go by without any new coin for identification, I will enter the next coin.)
- For every coin you enter, which is identified correctly by a contestant, I SUGGEST (not an obligation) that you show your gratitude by chipping in a giveaway in the prize pool at a book value of your own choice. (Edited: I removed the value guidelines for the giveaway as I don't want to put pressure on anyone. During 6 months, I guess that the prize pool will be substantial anyway image).
- The prize pot will ultimately be given to the overall winner of the competition.

For contestants:
- A coin identification is worth 20 points.
- The value of the coin identification will increase by 1 point for each day the coin remains unidentified. Thus the most difficult coins to identify will give more points back to the contestants. (And of course… if you know the answer and think that no one else does, you may speculate in waiting a few days to get more points. But then you can suddenly be beaten to the punch…)
- The total points for a coin will be divided between the contestants who participated in identifying the coin, according to these rules:
o Catalog reference (Catalog name + reference number) which turns out to be correct will give 6 points.
o Correct book value given will give 4 points.
o The first correct auction reference (Auction name, date, lot number, opening price, hammer price) showing the real market value of the coin will give 4 points.
o Any clue (ruler, country, time period, denomination, whatever…) which turns out to be correct and useful for the identification of the coin, and which is not mentioned before, will give 1 point – provided that there are points left after the others have .
o Any background information about the issue may give extra points.
o The remaining points for the coin – if any – are distributed by ME between the contributors. I will do this in a manner I think is fair, given what I think is the significance of each contribution. You may disagree, but the rule is: I am the judge, I am the president, and I am God.
- The coin closes for identification when catalog reference as well as book value and/or auction reference is given.
- You may not participate in the identification of your own coin.
- You compete against the other contestants to get as many points as possible.
- The contestant with most points at the 24th of December is announced as the winner.
- The winner will receive the prize pot with giveaway coins.

For me:
- I may enter coins. Even several coins. (Oh yes I will….image )
o I may identify coins, and thus participate in the competition….
o BUT…..I can’t win the competition.

Structure:
- All coins for identification must be entered in this thread.
- The “rules” post is always the first post
- All coins entered and not identified will eventually be lifted by me to the second post in the thread.
- All coins identified will be moved to the third post in the thread with points distribution and an overall leaderboard.

While identifying a coin - always remember to refer to it by it's entry number, so that we know which coin you are identifying.

Comments

• Options
    Coin #1 Entered 1st of june by norwegianguy Diameter 24 mm. Cost me $20.

Identified by DHC as 'Gros a la Couronne' of John II(1350-1364) "The Silver Coins of Medieval France", Roberts; Cat# 2625
    (Extra point is still up for grabs for finding an auction reference or book value for a similiar coin in the exact same denomination, year and quality)

Coin #2 Entered 2nd of june by norwegianguy Diameter 30.5 mm. Cost me $30.

Not identified yet.

Coin (Medal) #3 Entered 2nd of june by theboz11

Identified by me (norwegianguy) as: Habsburg: Medaille o. J. (1777), auf die Huldigung Yperns. Stempel von Th. van Berckel. Büste / Löwe mit Säule und Wappen. De Coster 868; Slg. Julius 2036; Slg. Montenuovo 2092. 10.97 g.; 32,5 mm.... In English: Medal ND (1777) to the homage of Ypres (Belgian municipality located in the Flemish province of West Flanders.)

Coin #4 Entered 2nd of june by TwoKopeiki Cost him $100

Identified by DCH as:
    Mexico-Veracruz, Countermarked Coinage. KM#289, 2 Reales. No date, unpriced in KM.
    Host coin, Mexico city KM#91 2 reales(1801-1808).
    C.M.S-Comandancia Militar Suriana
    S.C.A.-Soberano Congreso Mexicano
    Host coin is listed at 6.7668g, I'm not sure wear can get the weight down to the 2.35g posted. Maybe the host is a cast piece.....
    Suggestion by Norwegianguy: Perhaps this is an unlisted 1 real with host coin of type Mexico City KM#81, which is the same series.
    (Extra point up for grabs for clearing up which host coin os used)

Coin #5 (One sided Plaster Medal) Entered 3rd of june by norwegianguy Diameter 60 mm

imageimage
    Identified by DCH as a plaster version of the reverse of this medal.
    Venice, Francesco Morosini, 1618-1688-1694. Lead 1688. Installation as Doge and Commemorating his Victories against the Turks. By Philipp Heinrich Müller. Bust of the Doge three-quarters right against a background of trophies. Rev. The Doge attended by the Sea-Maidens of Morea, Candia, Athenæ, Negropont, and Cyprus, ADRIATICI MARIS DOMINA ARCHIPELAGI REGINA, lettered edge by Friedrich Kleinert, VIDERVNT INSVLAE ET TIMVERVNT EXTREMAE TERRAE OBSTVPVERVNT ET ACCESSERVNT. ESAI FK. 61mm. Voltolina 1066. Serenissima II, 121. Toderi-Vannel (1990), 55.
    Norwegianguy added a picture of another one sided (unfortunately broken) plaster medal from the same batch of medals - which showed the obverse of the same coin.
    (Extra point up for grabs for giving more info about the plaster versions. When, what, why...?)

Coin # 6 submitted by norwegianguy at June, 5th. Diameter 22mm

Identified by DCH as Armenia, Levon I 1198-1219. Tram.

Coin #7: Chinese (?) silver medal submitted by norwegianguy on June, 7th. Weight just above 100 grams, diameter 70 mm, I think. I just can't find it right now, but I bought it a few months ago on ebay for about 300 dollars. Just because I thought it was cool image, and I have no clue about it.

Identified by sumnom There was an exhibition in Sapporo in 1918 celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of Hokkaido as a prefecture within the Japanese Empire in 1868. This must have been a "silver medal" in recognition of some sort of competition at the exhibition.

Extra points still up for grabs for finding the value of the coin and what kind of competition it was a medal in.

Coin #8 submitted by Musky1011 on June, 7th.

I say that this is a british conder token from Kent:
    HAWKHURST 1794 "Charles Hider's" DH 30

Coin #9 submitted by ormandh on June, 9th.

Coin #10 submitted by ormandh on June, 9th.

Identified by DCH as:
    Reval under Swedish rule, Schilling. John III.
    http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=679717&AucID=496&Lot=1533

(Being from Scandinavia, I actually knew this one, but DCH was faster image)

Coin #11 submitted by Swampboy on June, 10th.

Coin #12 submitted by ormandh on June, 11th.

Coin #13 submitted by theboz11 on June, 9th. 22 KT. gold.

Norwegianguy said: This is no doubt a danish item - because it has danish text and the danish coat of arms.
    Translation of the text..
    obverse: "God - King - Father country" + abbreviation HAoVF, which I don't know what is.
    reverse: "With thanks (gratitude) from III, IV and VII area"
    Kreds can mean circuit/county/area or something in that direction.

Coin #14: Entered by Norwegianguy A uniface medal.

Coin #15 Entered by Norwegianguy on July 8th

imageimage
  • Options
    RESULTS AND LEADERBOARD

1. DCH: 102 points.
      20 points for identifying Coin #1 on the first day.
      22 points for identifying Coin #4 on the third day.
      20 points for identifying Coin #5 on the first day.
      20 points for identifying Coin #6 on the first day.
      20 points for identifying Coin #10 on the first day.
    2. sumnom: 28 points.
      28 points for identifying Coin #7 on the ninth day.
    unplaced. norwegianguy: 40 points.
      20 points for identifying Coin #3 on the first day.
      20 points for identifying Coin #8 on the first day.
    There are still lots of coins that haven't been identified.

PRIZE POT

From norwegianguy: Some small change from Scandinavia in mixed condition.
    From norwegianguy: 1942-S silver Nickel.
    imageimage
    There's more to come image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    EDIT to clear response that did not actually apply and to add my request for ID on a medal. Posted this a few days ago with the sellers photo. Here is mine.

• Options
    Wow theboz11, you were fast image
  • Options
    Looks like a 'Gros a la Couronne' of John II(1350-1364) "The Silver Coins of Medieval France", Roberts; Cat# 2625
    Depending on weight, struck in 1358(3.26g) or 1359(2.72g). These were issued during John's detention in England after his defeat and capture at Poitiers.

• Options
    Auction

This is a similar piece to yours, Cat #2624 year 1358, but heavier at 4.59g. Also, the reverse legend is FRANCO/RU:REX, yours should be oFRANCO/RU:REXo
  • Options
    Thanks, DHC. Very impressing image

I will give you 20 points for that one, but I will leave an extra point open for grabs to the one who can find an auction reference or book value of a coin with the "right" weight and quality.

So here comes...

Coin #2 Entered 2nd of june by norwegianguy Diameter 30.5 mm. Cost me $30.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add one for ID and will definitely add something for the prize pool. I actually let this one go a while back, but it's a pretty interesting one, nonetheless. Weight: 2.35g. I bought it for $100.

• Options
    Now we're getting somewhere. It's going to be interesting image

EDITED: I believe coin #3 is this one (with auction ref):

Habsburg: Medaille o. J. (1777), auf die Huldigung Yperns. Stempel von Th. van Berckel. Büste / Löwe mit Säule und Wappen. De Coster 868; Slg. Julius 2036; Slg. Montenuovo 2092. 10.97 g.; 32,5 mm.

In English: Medal ND (1777) to the homage of Ypres (Belgian municipality located in the Flemish province of West Flanders.)

...and may I say it's a splendid specimen image IMO better than the auction item.
  • Options
    I truly thank you, that was wonderful news. I never imagined that it was that old. I had never run across one like this before. I noticed the auction was 2004. I paid $102 for this off of England ebay.image
  • Options
    Still trying to give the thread a good start, I enter another coin for identification.

This time it is a Plaster Medal, diameter 60 mm.
    Have no clue on this one, except it came in a medal lot I bought. With 12 medals in the lot and a price of 450 dollars, I would estimate my cost for this one about 40 dollars...or a bit more, since this was one of the more interesting medals.

Coin #5 (One sided Plaster Medal)

• Options

It's the reverse from this medal.

Venice, Francesco Morosini, 1618-1688-1694. Lead 1688. Installation as Doge and Commemorating his Victories against the Turks. By Philipp Heinrich Müller. Bust of the Doge three-quarters right against a background of trophies. Rev. The Doge attended by the Sea-Maidens of Morea, Candia, Athenæ, Negropont, and Cyprus, ADRIATICI MARIS DOMINA ARCHIPELAGI REGINA, lettered edge by Friedrich Kleinert, VIDERVNT INSVLAE ET TIMVERVNT EXTREMAE TERRAE OBSTVPVERVNT ET ACCESSERVNT. ESAI FK. 61mm. Voltolina 1066. Serenissima II, 121. Toderi-Vannel (1990), 55.
  • Options

Mexico-Veracruz, Countermarked Coinage. KM#289, 2 Reales. No date, unpriced in KM.
    Host coin, Mexico city KM#91 2 reales(1801-1808).

C.M.S-Comandancia Militar Suriana
    S.C.A.-Soberano Congreso Mexicano

Host coin is listed at 6.7668g, I'm not sure wear can get the weight down to the 2.35g posted. Maybe the host is a cast piece.....

Krause notes at the beginning of the section 'Many combinations of Royalist and Insurgent countermarks are ususally found on the cast copies produced by Chihuahua and mexico city and on the other crude provisional issues of this period. Struck Mexico City coins were used to make molds for casting necessity issues and countermarked afterwards to show issuing authority. Some were marked again by either both or separate opposing friendly forces to authorize circulation in their areas of occupation. Some countermarks are only obtainable with companion markings.'
  • Options
    Wow... DCH, you're GOOD!!!! image

As for coin #4, I guess another coin is used as host coin. My guess would be Mexico City KM#81: 1 real from the same series as KM#91. It has a listed weight of 3.38 grams, which could have been worn down to 2.35 grams. It also seems more right from the diameter of the coin, compared to the diameter of the countermark.

In that case, it's an unlisted denomination of a series where the listed denomination ( 2 reales) is unpriced. That's cool.
    Too bad TwoKopeiki let it go.

As for coin #5, you actually also identified the next one sided plaster medal I planned to enter:
    It came in the same batch of medals, and shows the obverse of the coin (#5) you just identified.
    Unfortunately it is broken image I don't know if it was broken in transportation, or if it has been broken before the auction.
    The next question would be: Is this an original plaster cast used in the making of the medal, is it a contemporary plaster copy, or is it a later plaster copy of the coin?
    And of course... Do you think it is rare? Or even valuable? (At least the unbroken one...?)

I have to go to work now, so I will update the leaderboard later today. Something tells me, however, that DCH has a pretty safe lead at the moment image
  • Options
    XXXXXX Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭
    Does this include Token Identification as well (submission for ID)? Thanks
  • Options
    Hi, XXX.

Yes, indeed it does.

Any item is possible image
  • Options
    Someone better acquainted with Carol should ask to have this Tagged at the top until Xmas IMHO.
  • Options
    Coin # 6 submitted by norwegianguy at June, 5th. Diameter 22mm

• Options

Armenia, Levon I 1198-1219. Tram.

Auction
    Auction

Wiki
  • Options
    Thanks again, DCH image You know your stuff.

This time I enter a huge chinese medal:

Coin #7: Chinese (?) silver medal submitted by norwegianguy. Weight just above 100 grams, diameter 70 mm, I think. I just can't find it right now, but I bought it a few months ago on ebay for about 300 dollars. Just because I thought it was cool image, and I have no clue about it.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options

<< <i>As for coin #4, I guess another coin is used as host coin. My guess would be Mexico City KM#81: 1 real from the same series as KM#91. It has a listed weight of 3.38 grams, which could have been worn down to 2.35 grams. It also seems more right from the diameter of the coin, compared to the diameter of the countermark.

In that case, it's an unlisted denomination of a series where the listed denomination ( 2 reales) is unpriced. That's cool.
    Too bad TwoKopeiki let it go.
    >>

Great job, guys. It was, in fact, on a worn-down 1 Real host.
  • Options
    Coin #8 is a British Conder Token from Kent.

HAWKHURST 1794 "Charles Hider's" DH 30. Listed on this page
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin #8 is a British Conder Token from Kent.

HAWKHURST 1794 "Charles Hider's" DH 30. Listed on this page >>

yes it is but what grade??????
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    It's a lovely token. No doubt about it. Being from Europe, I find it a bit difficult to distinguish between the different MS grades. Here, it would probably be graded EF or even EF/UNC, which is really great image (A few times at least, I have bought coins slabbed as MS64 by the top TPG's that were still listed for sale as EF.)

As for value, I can only find this coin in lower grades, as part of lots in auctions. Such as these:

Auction lot
    Auction lot 2

And here, as well, a lower grade item for sale. This time alone:

Sale
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    #9 Here you go guys. Dunno what it is, because it appears to have been shaven down.

imageimage

#10 This is probably my most favorite toned piece. I bought it for $35.

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #11 A bronze of Alexander unattributed.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    #12 Here is one that I have posted in the past. I bought it unattributed for $100. It is the size of a 1/2 thaler coin.

imageimage
  • Options
    may I add this to the confusionimage

and its box

• Options
    Coin #13 is no doubt a danish item - because it has danish text and the danish coat of arms.
    Translation of the text..
    obverse: "God - King - Father country" + abbreviation HAoVF, which I don't know what is.
    reverse: "With thanks (gratitude) from III, IV and VII area"
    Kreds can mean circuit/county/area or something in that direction.

I believe #12 is a french item.
  • Options
    Coin #14: Entered by Norwegianguy A uniface medal.

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Entry #7

Well, it's late and this is imprecise but the big silver Chinese thing is actually Japanese. It is commemorative medal from an exhibition of some sort on the 50th anniversary of something or other. It is dated 1918. I don't read this kind of script very well but that is what I get from a quick look. There are some others here who can help...

Edit: I have made some headway. It's a "silver medal" (I guess for second place?) from an exhibition that is celebrating 50 years of "guidance" and/or "leadership." I still can't figure out the three characters that are the name of the exhibition. 50 years previous would have been 1868 so this may well be some sort of commemoration of the Meiji Restoration and the attendent reforms. One certainly gets the idea that it's about agriculture and technology. Could this a Taisho Era 4H medal? image

Another Edit: "Hokkaido Exhibition in Commemoration of 50 Years of Leadership, 1918"

And yet another edit: I got it! There was an exhibition in Sapporo in 1918 celebration of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of Hokkaido as a prefecture within the Japanese Empire in 1868. This must have been a "silver medal" in recognition of some sort of competition at the exhibition.

You may all admire me now. image

And yet another edit: I have been thinking about the translation. I think the following might work as well, if not better: "Hokkaido Exhibition in Commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the Establishment of the Prefecture."
  • Options

<< <i>You may all admire me now. image >>

• Options

<< <i>You may all admire me now. image >>

I sure do image

Thank you so much, sumnom. Pretty amazing.

And furthermore: I was just about to rename the competition thread to "Can anyone identify any coin faster than DCH?"... and then you showed up image Now it starts to look like a competition.

• Options
    I don't know. It took me about an hour or so.

At any rate, thank you for all your admiration!image
  • Options
    Norwegian Guy, I changed the translation just a bit, in case you're interested.
  • Options
    I can see that it has been quiet here for a while - since I was on summer vacation.

However - here is another coin to identify:

Coin #15 Entered by Norwegianguy

imageimage
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Coin # 6 appears to be a cast counterfeit in the photos.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    #15 greatly resembles fakes being sold to tourists and soldiers in the Middle East right now.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I can contribute some info on coin #13.
    H.A. o. V.F. stands for "Højres Arbejder og Vælgerforening", a Danish political party est. in 1881 in times of political turmoil which supported the government and the king

Quick googling finds a few similar items. For example, there are medals (1906) with a similar design celebrating their 25th anniversary.
    I can't find this particular piece though.

I assume III, IV, and VI kreds refers to divisions of their country organization.
    Maybe this could be a medal struck in connection with an election, - or a piece struck in honor of a distinguished member of the party retiring etc...

Based on the party's history, this piece should date somewhere between 1881-1915
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro