Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

If you retired and sold your set, and then saw one of your coins upgraded ...

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would you think the grade in your set should change to reflect to new grade as well?

I was just thinking if you had a 66 coin in your set, retired your set, then sold the coin. The new owner submitted it in the holder for a regrade and it went to a 67. Shouldn't your retired set go up too? It is the same coin of course ...

I would guess that has actually happened, but doubt the retired set got the added point.

It does mean that someone could beat you with your own coins, which seems odd.
Doug

Comments

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    If it's a regrade it CERTAINLY SHOULD go up. Good point.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Doug,

One of the Roosies in my set upgraded from a 65FB to a 66FB, and no, it did not effect the same coin in my set, just his.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In reality, it should - but tracking it would be a nightmare.
  • Options
    As far as for regrades (i.e. NOT crackouts without the original cert returned), coins should automatically reflect the new grade and the change should be automatic as the cert number stays the same (does it not?).
  • Options

<< <i>As far as regrades and coins automatically reflecting the new grade would & should be automatic as the cert number stays the same (does it not?). >>

Not if the coin was cracked out.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options

<< <i>If you retired and sold your set, and then saw one of your coins upgraded ... >>

I would cry because I didn't get the coin upgraded first (or pcgs didn't upgrade the coin for me).
  • Options
    KozmanKozman Posts: 275 ✭✭
    I believe there is a change in cert number when the coin is regraded. I will have to check my records to make sure this is true.
  • Options
    Come to think of it Koz, I think you might be right but even still, seems easy enough to track.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be an interesting twist if you retired your set ,then sold it intact, and you were the top dog and then the new ower upgraded one or more coins of your coins and now is the new leader.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your set should only upgrade if the coin kept its original certifications number. Other wise the data base does not see it as the same coin.

• Options

<< <i>In reality, it should - but tracking it would be a nightmare. >>

It shouldn't really be a nightmare to track it, since the coin is in the PCGS database.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Doug, I think what PCGS is going to tell you is that your SOL. BUT , consider all the coins that get DOWNGRADED...

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.