PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
WOWSERS!!!!!

Is this moon money? image

Wowsers!
"It is what it is."

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG. image

Moon money, indeed, but that reverse is to die for.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was watching that one......great premium for colorimage

Stefanie >>

Boy i'll say!
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if we can get the official ebay watch count from Dick himself?

P.S. The reverse is amazing image
    "It is what it is."
  • image Peace Dollar Toner!!! image
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Excuse me whilst I change my Depends! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like toned coins, but that's a definite waste of money.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

<< <i>I like toned coins, but that's a definite waste of money. >>

I would have to agree with you 100%

PCGS Price guide lists $55. I understand there's a premium for toning. Did the winner believe the date was 1921?
    "It is what it is."
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin Vault is looking like a bargain all the more image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    You have GOT to be KIDDING me!
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>

PCGS Price guide lists $55. I understand there's a premium for toning. Did the winner believe the date was 1921? >>

A couple of people seemed to feel otherwise, makes me feel better about my Goldberg auction Long Island commem purchase.
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Toned peace dollars like that are very tough to come by......

but a grand? Dam...

<< <i>

<< <i>

PCGS Price guide lists $55. I understand there's a premium for toning. Did the winner believe the date was 1921? >>

A couple of people seemed to feel otherwise, makes me feel better about my Goldberg auction Long Island commem purchase. >>

Are you saying that's a fair price for this coin?
    "It is what it is."
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Harrumph!

Just another MS64 Peace Dollar that has toning which is impossible to tell whether or not its artificial.

The way you folks kowtow to this crap its no wonder folks spend stupid money on something like this and then wonder where their investment went in 10 years.

A smarter purchase would have been a good solid MS66 in a PCGS holder.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow-if this is how people invest in the "rare coin market" no wonder its doing so poorly
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>Harrumph!

Just another MS64 Peace Dollar that has toning which is impossible to tell whether or not its artificial.

The way you folks kowtow to this crap its no wonder folks spend stupid money on something like this and then wonder where their investment went in 10 years.

A smarter purchase would have been a good solid MS66 in a PCGS holder. >>

• halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wow-if this is how people invest in the "rare coin market" no wonder its doing so poorly >>

From the results of this auction, looks like it's doing pretty damn good to me! image
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • AT. A sucker is born every minute.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    I'm truely inspired.

Always wanted to learn to use an airbrush. image

I got a stack of el cheapo Chinese Coins that need a touch of excitement. image
  • Without debating the AT or NT issue with this coin, I will say this, the price guides are whack. They are out dated in most if not all areas of coins. Personally I like the coin. I would be a buyer of it too. But, and yes, its a big butt, not ANYWHERE near that price.

Attractively and naturally toned Peace $1's are a beast.

I wonder how much the star played into the price?
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    of course it's a-t, but m-a all the same

K S
  • #1 I don't believe the coin is AT or at least there isn't a way to say for sure based on those images but plenty would have you believe they know for sure image

#2 Since when do folks have to buy coins for investment purposes only? The comments about the coin not being a wise investment are inferring that the buyer just jumped in blindly to try to make a buck on the coin. I am not sure how anyone could know the motives of the buyer unless he jumped on here and stated it for a fact? The buyer may have simply liked attractively toned peace dollars and there aren't a lot of them out there with this type of toning to choose from so the supply is very limited even if the demad is lower then for some series.

#3 Do I think $1,000 is moon money for this coin.....no. I would have been surprised if it fetched under $750. Would I value the coin at $1000....not personally becuase I am not into Peace dollars but I think the coin would have brought a strong price at any auction venue.

#4 Are all the posters to this thread entitled to their own opinions.....yes just like the buyer of this coin......which isn't me by the way image
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem with toned Peace dollars is that even when they are "monsters", they are
    a pale shadow of a monster Morgan. In fact, I can't think of another series where the toning
    on that coin would bring anywhere near 20x sheet!
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 very similiar peace dollars. I am going to send them to NGC and see if they get the star. Pictures make ebay auctions although i would expect to not get more than 100 bucks if i had sold that coin.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • To me moon money is 10K plus....
    That I consider a suckers bet....
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Do you realize how many

boxes of Crayola Crayons

I can get for that money

If I wanted color in my life ?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • A toned morgan or peace dollar will ALWAYS bring a higher premium then a blast white coin in the current state of the market. That is by no means moon money for that coin. That coin would have sold for that amount at any auction, heritage, teletrade, you name the auction house and that would have pulled the money. That peace dollar even at the price it went for could still turn a profit on a flip in the right venue. If you are not a collector of toned items then you dont know the market, therefore cannot really make any kind of informed statement on the subject image although we all have our own opinions making assumptions and acusations is really pointless.
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that mine is anywhere as nice as the one that sold
    but..............I still like mineimage

It has a rainbow on the obverse top but can't image it right.
    I think I need to get more light on it

Stefanie

imageimage
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    I had no interest in bidding on the coin but I did have it marked just so I could see the final price. image

Mike
  • What do you think of this one? I paid $390 for it. I know it was a foolish purchase and I have sworn off future eBay purchases after 7 years of wild spending.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110364181426
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    It still AMAZES me what some people WANT or will PAY for a toned coin..........

TC
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Someones buried in that one. Nice example but come on. image

I'll stick with this one for the Type Set for much, much less. image

<< <i>What do you think of this one? I paid $390 for it. I know it was a foolish purchase and I have sworn off future eBay purchases after 7 years of wild spending.
    >>

eBay Link

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>AT. A sucker is born every minute. >>

Someone whistling all the way to the bank!
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to say the buyer is stupid for spending that kind of money on a common Peace dollar. It is far better than the others posted here (IMHO). That being said, I would not have paid 20X list for ANY coin, no matter how pretty it is!
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    maybe there is sulfer on the moon?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file