Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

OT: I got to bat against a former Major League Pitcher today... and got a single. Photos added.

This year I've started playing on a Vintage Baseball Club in Connecticut. We play by 1880's rules using period equipment. Gloves are about the size of a gardening glove, the bats are heavy with thick handles and the ball is quite a bit softer than those used today. No protective equipment is allowed for the batters and the catcher gets a thin canvas chest protector with no shin guards.

The rules are quite a bit different. You need 7 balls for a walk. If a batter gets hit by a pitch it's not a free base. Pitchers can (and do) quick pitch any batter who loses focus. It's been a lot of fun playing again for the first time in about 12 years. There are a lot of others and the newbies like me have some trouble keeping things straight some times.

I expected this would be a casual pick-up type league but so far the opponents have been pretty competitive. Our first game had a pitcher throwing in the mid 80's. Today we had a game against a local club that had a former MLB pitcher as their starting pitcher. Before I get too carried away though, I need to confess who was pitching. Jim Bouton, former NY Yankee pitcher, author of Ball Four and the inventor of Big League Chew was the hurler today. Yes, I realize he is 70 years old but it was still a thrill to step in against a guy with his infamy. Bulldog Bouton was throwing lots of knuckleballs trying to get us with his junk. He was throwing around 50-60 MPH but it wasn't moving much. After taking a couple high pitches I got one to pull and lined it over 3rd base for a clean single to left.

Jim is a big supporter of Vintage Baseball and seeing him out there today was a real pleasure. For anybody interested in learning more, my team can be found at www.simsburytaverneers.com. They've got a great photo's section. Pics from today's game should be up by the middle of the week.
Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
Simsbury Taverneers
My PSA Sets

Comments

• My old man used to play Senior League against him.That man really loves to play the game.
    Mike
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    What an awesome story, that had to be a thrill.
  • Hitting against any former major leaguer would be a thrill . That sounds like alot of fun. I am
    going to check out some sites and see about leagues that may be here in new york. Good Story
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Great story and congrats. I'm sure lots of us would love the opportunity to bat against a former major leaguer!
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    That's very cool!
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    Ball Four was the first "adult" book I ever read
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a thrill to face a major league pitcher even at his age.

Great story...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a blast. Good job on getting a hit.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    here ya go kid ... this is for rippin that single to left off me! Congrats! It must have been a thrill!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    Thats awesome...cool pics on the site by the way
  • downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I have played against former 1990s White Sox Pitchers Jerry Kutzler and Donn Pall and Twins(1984) Pitcher Tom Klawwitter in Men's leagues for a number of years here in Chicago area. They are not vintage leagues like th OP plays but regular adult baseball leagues affiliated with a National organization MSBL

Check out website to find a league near you...
    We are always looking for pitchers, so if you pitch and live in Chicago suburbs - drop me a line.

Doug
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭
    very cool story. we have played a game with 1860's rules here and are trying to organize another game this year. great to play the game that way.

nice story to tell the grand kids.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    I once got a hit off Jaimie Moyer....However it was back in 1979 (American Legion)
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    where in Connecticut do you play, 41GoudeyGuy?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I've batted against a few major league pitchers (Don't get excited ). I batted against John Pacella when I was visiting in Arizona when I was in the 8th grade . He was 3 or 4 years older than me , but man was he better than the other guys in the league . When I was in 9th grade , I moved back to Baltimore . I faced Moose Haas . I lasted 3 pitches . In 1978 when I was at UMBC , I faced former major leaguer Rusty Gerhardt . His brother Billy was a pitcher on our team . He "dusted " me during batting practice .

I was never good enough to be considered , but just crappy enough to make these guys look like gods.

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a similar story, yet it is kind of the opposite of yours. Yours is baseball. Mine is basketball. Your's was after the guy's prime. Mine was before his prime (way before).

NBA Profile - Dan Langhi

Dan Langhi grew up in my home town. He was four years younger than me. I was in the local gym just shooting around, and this kid comes up to me and wants to play me one on one. I said, "Sure". We played to 24. I beat him 24 to 18 (or something like that). I didn't really know him, but I knew who he was when he came up to me. Here is the catch. I was in the 9th grade and he was in the 5th grade. I was 5'10". He was 5'10". Yes, Dan Langhi was 5'10" in the fifth grade. After playing a fifth grader (and him hanging with me), I knew this kid was going to be pretty special. He went on to be the SEC Player of the Year in 2000 and led the SEC in scoring. He was a 7' footer who played like a shooting guard. He could handle the ball and shoot the three. I am not sure why he is not still in the NBA. (Edited to say - I just found out that he played in Italy for a couple of years and now he is playing in Puerto Rico).

I hope someone doesn't think I hijacked the thread. I just thought is was a similar story.

Shane

• << <i>where in Connecticut do you play, 41GoudeyGuy? >>

I play for the Simsbury Taverneers. We play our home games in Simsbury, CT which is near Hartford but travel around CT, Rhode Island and Massachusetts depending on the schedule. This year though we'll be mostly staying here in town based on the current schedule. I'm told we often get into a tournament or two over the summer, possibly in Boston or Cooperstown. That is still TBD and largely depends on the commitment and capabilities of the squad this year.
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!

On a side, somewhat related note, when I was 13 (let's see, that would be 1977), I was at a local minor league game and got chosen to bat against Bob Feller. He threw 3 pitches and I was so nervous that I didn't even come close. I did get a copy of the picture that ran in the newspaper. You can see the ghost image of the Kansas City Royals team magnet that held it to my folks refrigerator on the lower left part of the picture (not from KC, but had all the team magnets).

IWTDMBII
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    This thread reminds me of....well....I'll let the video speak for itself.....

Link

• << <i>This thread reminds me of....well....I'll let the video speak for itself.....

Link >>

I was thinking this would be the Barkley/Magic Johnson/Dr. J. video for Old School. "You get to play the NBA legends, when they're old."

I'm taking you deep Bouton!!!
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an awesome story, Thanks for sharing. I would love to get in a league like that.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Ladder7Ladder7 Posts: 1,221
    What a thrill for you.

We got to play against the Bruins 'old timers' twenty yrs ago. We thought we were real hot shots going in with our new jerseys and all the babes in the stands. But they made us look like a bunch of nitwits on double-runners for three long periods.

Great post. Thanks for sharing!
  • I hit against Dave Von Ohlen a few years back in the Long Island MABL. He was in his 40's but still throwing high 70's / low 80's. His curve was sharper than anyone in the league's though. I also faced Todd Rizzo who played briefly with the Chicago White Sox in 1999, and at age 37 or so, was still throwing near 90 MPH. I manage to scratch a hit off of a fastball I was sitting on.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I once got a hit off Jaimie Moyer....However it was back in 1979 (American Legion) >>

He was only around 28 then. image It's great to see him still getting people out.

Great story GoudeyGuy, Ball 4 was one of my favorite baseball books in high school because it wasn't a hero worship book.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • I didn't know vintage leagues existed. Terrific stuff, great story.

Thanks for sharing
  • A cool benefit to this weekend is that now when my son is old enough to read Ball Four, he can personally connect with the author.

I'm going to have to get that book out myself again and give it a read before our next game against Whately.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • For those interested in learning more about vintage baseball or finding a club in your area I'm attaching the link to my team's website. There are some great photos if you just want to see us playing in the vintage uniforms.

Some links on the bottom left to note:

The New England Vintage Baseball Federation is our "league" with the standings and links to the various New England club websites.

The Vintage Baseball Federation is Jim Bouton's organization with links to many clubs around the country.

The Vintage Baseball Association. A competing league focusing more on a different era (1860's). Most clubs play both styles of games.

Enjoy the pics and find a game near you. It's worth the time to learn the origins of the game.

Simsbury Taverneers Website

Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Some pics from Sunday's game. My memory is now preserved digitally for ever.

Me lining a clean single to left off Jim Bouton

Bulldog Bouton throwing a Knuckler

Bouton looking in for the sign

Later in the game, taking one deep... but foul

Eye on the ball. Foul tipped this one and was caught. Per the rules I'm out even on strike one.

Link to Vintage Baseball Photos
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool!

On a side, somewhat related note, when I was 13 (let's see, that would be 1977), I was at a local minor league game and got chosen to bat against Bob Feller. He threw 3 pitches and I was so nervous that I didn't even come close. I did get a copy of the picture that ran in the newspaper. You can see the ghost image of the Kansas City Royals team magnet that held it to my folks refrigerator on the lower left part of the picture (not from KC, but had all the team magnets).

image >>

Next time you face off with Feller try choking up on the bat.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding pics. Very cool!
    IWTDMBII