Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My best circulation finds from the cash drawer at work...

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've had an occasional part time job since September or October. As a night auditor at a resort hotel, I am the one who has to double as the lone Front Desk clerk, which means I am the one responsible for the cash drawer. It is the first job I have had where I've handled cash since the time I worked at McDonalds more than 20 years ago. It's fun (the cherrypicking-the-cash-drawer part, I mean.)

There have been one or two Wheaties, but nothing particularly early or special. I actually put a couple of low-end steel cents and a dateless Buffalo in the till to give out to folks and see if they noticed.

My first noteworthy find was three unbroken rolls of BU 1999-P GA quarters. Which is great, because I'm in Georgia. Hard to believe those lasted ten years without getting broken up. I guess there must have been a stash of them in the safe. I just got my first 2009 quarter (a DC), and have managed to complete a 50-slot Statehood quarter folder (except for IL) since January.

A month or two ago I was counting the nickels and noticed one that I knew was an older Jeff from the way the hair was struck. Usually it is the color that clues me in to an older Jefferson nickel, but this one was shockingly lustrous. It has pretty gold-orangeish toning, too. Now, I have found many older pre-1960 Jeffs over the years- they still circulate- but not as often anymore. This was the first older one in quite some time (I think I got an average circ '57-P and that is all since I started this job).

But what is freaky about this one is that it is an AU+ to borderline UNC coin, and it has nice luster that is not visible in my scans. How did THAT get in there? It's just a 1954-P, but I thought it was a very cool find.

This makes the second time I have found a high-grade older Jeff in change. Back in 1992 I scored an MS65(!) 1940-P, mixed in with a roll of mostly new 1992-P coins. It looked better than the modern ones! Go figure. I never would have expected to find a borderline UNC toner.

I think Jeffersons might be the final frontier for circulation finds of older coins, aside from the odd Wheatie or two. With the exception of the recent commemorative issues, Jeffersons aren't "different" enough for the average Joe Public to notice or pay attention to. I used to get War nickels fairly regularly, but not for a while now. (You might say that half dollars still offer good cherrypicking, but good luck finding half dollars in circulation- none of the banks around here have 'em!)

In the currency, I have seen one or two $1.00 star notes, but that's it.

Then, last night, when I was counting the bank before the PM shift left and my graveyard shift began, I noticed an older $5.00 bill. I saw the reverse first, and thought, "Hey, neat, that's the first old reverse, non-purpley five I've seen in a little while."

Then, when I flipped it over, I got a shock when I realized how much older it was. I saw the blue seal of a Silver Certificate! It was a 1934-C! Wow.

In my excitement, I held out the bill and told my departing coworker, "Hey, check this out- a Silver Certificate five dollar bill!"

Without a word, she snatched it from my hand and before I could stop her, she slashed a counterfeit detection marker across the obverse, leaving a big orange streak!

"HEY!! WHY DID YOU DO THAT?" I almost shouted.

"Oh," she said. "I thought you said somebody stiffed us a $5.00 bill. It's a fake?"

"No, you dummy- I said it is a Silver Certificate five dollar bill. It's old. An antique. 1934. Get it?"

She didn't. Nice girl, but a bit of an airhead, I'm afraid. (Oh, well- I'm a nerd). HER hobby is going barhopping with friends, which unfortunately seems to be the primary preoccupation with most of the younger twentysomethings I work with. I gave her a 2,000 year old Chinese coin a while back when she helped me out on one shift, figuring they make nice jewelry pendants. Who knows what she thought of it. I was probably casting pearls before swine, as the saying goes.

OK, so maybe that five isn't worth much more than face value, but I was tickled. I'm easily pleased. And the orange stripe across the front was gone when I took it out today. I guess those currency test markers are made to fade away. Good.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Without a word, she snatched it from my hand and before I could stop her, she slashed a counterfeit detection marker across the obverse, leaving a big orange streak! >>

OH MY.

imageimageimage

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten a ton of wheaties, nothing exciting, a lot of war nickels, and a couple silver dimes and quarters from working a till. Nothing really special. Although, when I find anything silver, it puts me in a good mood.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    Exactly. I never expect anything great, but when I find something that exceeds my modest expectations, it puts me in a good mood. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Did you make beeping sounds while going through the drawer? image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    No, but the emoticons adamlaneus just used very aptly describe my reaction when she swiped that damn marker across my new find!

imageimageimage

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob, she's got to be the same girl that scratched this one to "make sure it was real"

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a 1938 Nickel in change the other day at Home Depot. I save all the pre-1960 nickels I find. Don't find too many any more.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, Rob!

Several of my older brothers worked in a gas station near Seattle in the early 70s. They brought me home lots of Mercury dimes, and one worn out Shield Nickel. I still have it!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's interesting how often this occurs but it also helps when there a more folks that don't recognize what you do. Silver certificates will pass through many hands before someone pulls it. Including $10's and $20's. Wife and I have one of each over the last 20 years. image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    <<"Hey, neat, that's the first old reverse, non-purpley five I've seen in a little while.">>

Here in MA, it is the purpley 5 that is unusual at the moment. They were briefly common when first released. Series 2003A is the most common at the moment.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>She didn't. Nice girl, but a bit of an airhead, I'm afraid. (Oh, well- I'm a nerd). HER hobby is going barhopping with friends, which unfortunately seems to be the primary preoccupation with most of the younger twentysomethings I work with. I gave her a 2,000 year old Chinese coin a while back when she helped me out on one shift, figuring they make nice jewelry pendants. Who knows what she thought of it. I was probably casting pearls before swine, as the saying goes.
    >>

A man's gotta try. You did good.

Nice finds BTW.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

The moral of the story is NEVER put an interesting coin or bill in the hands of a non collector until said coin or bill is placed in a protective capsule or billfold.(and DONT fold it)
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

1934A series stand out like a flashing light….counted out by a bank teller to my Mom sometime during the fall of 2007. I gave my Mom a regular $10 for this one, she had no idea what she had either. To her it was just another ten dollar bill.

Nice finds Lord M
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rob, she's got to be the same girl that scratched this one to "make sure it was real"

image >>

Wasn't this particular coin on display at Long Breach this past week?
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was probably casting pearls before swine, as the saying goes. >>

You called your co-worker a pig? image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    Yes, I guess I did, but that was a bit strong. Maybe I should just call her a Philistine. image

• Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    well it's going to get pretty fun in my neck of the wood's real soon , as I'm am about to release many roll's of circ jeff's back into the stream of life, from 39 to 59, at least 2 roll's of each
    let's see how long before I get one back in change myself.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭

Cool finds LordM. It's the little things in collecting that keep the fire alive. Like I've said before, you don't have to drop megabucks in this hobby to have a great time. It's all about the hunt sometimes.

-wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    I found a 1950-D Jefferson nickel in change about 8 years ago. Not long after (maybe a year) I found a 1934 AU Washington Quarter. Those are my two best circulation finds. The 50-D was in a cash register at Boston Market, Somers Point, New Jersey; where I was working at the time. I did find a 1901 Liberty Head nickel when I was maybe 10 years old (early 1990s), pretty cool too.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    A '50-D in change? Wow, crazy. I don't know what is crazier- that or an AU '34 quarter.

I hear stories of people spending gold coins at face value all the time, and I am sure it happens once in a blue moon, but I have never seen evidence of that.

A friend of mine once got a Fine 1900-O Barber dime in change. The only time I have gotten a fully obsolete type is when I got a Fine 1937-D (4-leg) Buffalo nickel from a Pepsi machine. Another time I got three Buffalos (1920 AG plus two dateless) in a freak nickel roll that was loaded with early Jeffersons. I have stumbled across freak rolls of early stuff in the bank a couple of times.

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I found a 1950-D Jefferson nickel in change about 8 years ago. Not long after (maybe a year) I found a 1934 AU Washington Quarter. Those are my two best circulation finds. The 50-D was in a cash register at Boston Market, Somers Point, New Jersey; where I was working at the time. I did find a 1901 Liberty Head nickel when I was maybe 10 years old (early 1990s), pretty cool too. >>

I love hearing about these change finds. Years ago, when I was a kid I could never find the '50-D in circulation now matter how hard I looked... a year ago I found one in like AU condition too! This year, a '31-S Buff nickle with a full horn. Those were my two best I suppose, and interestingly both were nickles, gotta figure any more a silver coin sticks out like a sore thumb, so they are really few and far between these days.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I found a 1950-D Jefferson nickel in change about 8 years ago. Not long after (maybe a year) I found a 1934 AU Washington Quarter. Those are my two best circulation finds. The 50-D was in a cash register at Boston Market, Somers Point, New Jersey; where I was working at the time. I did find a 1901 Liberty Head nickel when I was maybe 10 years old (early 1990s), pretty cool too. >>

I love hearing about these change finds. Years ago, when I was a kid I could never find the '50-D in circulation now matter how hard I looked... a year ago I found one in like AU condition too! This year, a '31-S Buff nickle with a full horn. Those were my two best I suppose, and interestingly both were nickles, gotta figure any more a silver coin sticks out like a sore thumb, so they are really few and far between these days. >>

The 50-D I found was in AU as well. I probably found that in 2000, I lost it in Oct. of 2002 (along with a whole bunch of coin books) during a move, then was reunited with the whole box, coins and all about 4 months ago. One of the objects in the box was a 1971-S Proof Set that was owned by Louis Eliasburg in a nice Captial Holder that I bought from Bowers and Merena in 1997. It was nice to see that again. I think it was $69 for it (despite the fact that it was a $5 set); but I haven't seen one since then. I think they had 50-60 for sale. I wonder what it's worth is now, with the pedigree.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Lord M,

Thanks for sharing these finds. I, too, love hearing about these. I agree with you that nickels are the final circulation-collecting frontier. I began building a set from rolls two years ago and have filled all but 12 slots in my album. I've also found some old ones in great shape. I figure they must have come out of collections. I am finding fewer pre-1960s now than just two years ago, however. Maybe the word is out.

Anyway, keep those eyes sharp and keep sharing!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086
    At least you can't see the orange mark - or did you scan it before she snatched it?
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Let's all ask LordM to give us a free room for a couple of days down there in Georgia and get our boots and gold pans so we can go sluicing...

I see a good time on the horizon..image
  • Options
    YaHa- you won't have much fun sluicing for gold here on the coast. That's North Georgia, up in the mountains. It's more like Florida here.

A 1777 half-real in change would be completely mindblowing.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I guess I did, but that was a bit strong. Maybe I should just call her a Philistine. image >>

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    About 35 years ago, I found a 1893 Indian Cent from rolls I got at the bank. It's about a VF. Still have it. It was a thrill for a ten year old kid.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file