Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

1909VDB MPL IN BALTIMORE - NGC PF65BN

The rash of this variety continues on Thursday evening, June 11th in Baltimore when Bowers & Merena auctions a NGC certified PF65BN. The coin is now at $21,275 with the juice. Numismedia values the coin at $13,130 on the NGC website, while PCGS says the coin is valued at $35,000 IF it was in a PCGS label. I wonder how well this brown example will fare in a non-Heritage auction and in a NGC slab. After seeing the PCGS PR64RB example sell for over $40,000 last week in Long Beach can we expect this coin to be gobbled up by a sharp dealer, crossed over to PCGS quickly, and reappear in Los Angeles in August at the ANA? What do you think?

Here is the coin.

Steveimage

Comments

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is absolutely no excuse for pics of that quality in this day and time. What are they thinking
    over at B&M???image Shag
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

<< <i>After seeing the PCGS PR64RB example sell for over $40,000 last week in Long Beach can we expect this coin to be gobbled up by a sharp dealer, crossed over to PCGS quickly, and reappear in Los Angeles in August at the ANA? What do you think?

Here is the coin.

Steveimage >>

Wouldn't surprise me if it happened that way.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone is going to have to be fleet of foot to get it done, but it is possible. Auction on Thursday, lot pickup Friday, submit on site grading Friday, hand it to Heritage on Saturday for consignment. Still could be worth it even if it comes back PCGS 64bn unless the B&M sale hammers for north of $34k. Then it might be a tad risky.
    Doug
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photo makes it look dipped.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone is going to have to be fleet of foot to get it done, but it is possible. Auction on Thursday, lot pickup Friday, submit on site grading Friday, hand it to Heritage on Saturday for consignment. Still could be worth it even if it comes back PCGS 64bn unless the B&M sale hammers for north of $34k. Then it might be a tad risky. >>

Doug and others,
    I just received a flyer in the mail today from Bowers & Merena highlighting their official auction at the ANA. They say the consignment deadline is Friday, June 19th, so the winner in Baltimore has an extra week! Since Bowers & Merena is also doing the Baltimore auction where this coin is being sold, I could see the winner handling both transactions right there on the floor in Baltimore on June 12th. Of course, there is ONE problem. The ANA auction is NOT a Heritage auction and we will all probably see the SAME picture again.
    Steveimage
  • Those pictures look pretty good to me
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, you are right, but I was thinking there really isn't any room to use the mail for any of the steps. The other alternative would be to pick it up on Friday, give it Heritage first, and let Heritage submit it for cross.
    Doug
    Why is there dirt inside the B and R on liberty?

I dunno, I see off color, especially the pink on the bottom of abes bust.

Why is a Brown coin pinker than a Red coin????????
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a pair of extremely minor carbon flecks before Lincoln's chin are mentioned solely for pedigree purposes.

it's the first thing that pulled at my eyes, couldn't hardly be in a worse location.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>a pair of extremely minor carbon flecks before Lincoln's chin are mentioned solely for pedigree purposes.

it's the first thing that pulled at my eyes, couldn't hardly be in a worse location. >>

Exactly!!! "mentioned solely for pedigree purposes???" image
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i agree with ambro

the color presents itself in that of being dipped...there's just something about it's look that leaves a "no soup for you" type of feelin
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Lot # 462
    1909 V.D.B. Lincoln Cent. Proof-65 BN (NGC). OGH.

I never know NGC made old green holders............................................................................................................
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might mean "No-Line Fatty Holder", but my guess is that nobody would understand the meaning of NLFH.
    Can you imagine the sheer mind numbing heartbreak to try and cross this and have it come put into a Genuine holder??

I think I would go jump off a bridge.

• curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Guess I'll just have to go against you brothers. I like it. It's a BN coin so obviously the pic is washed out. Because of the carbon spots, I doubt that it's been dipped (at least lately). Those spots don't bother me either.

If I were in the market for it though, I wouldn't put in a bid unless I saw it first.

Here's a better idea...get a dealer that knows his copper and work out a deal so he (or she, sorry Charmy) can give you his or her opinion and have them bid for you if you choose to participate.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As current high bidder, I guesss I like it too.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I never know NGC made old green holders >>

Yes, they did.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

<< <i>As current high bidder, I guesss I like it too. >>

Rick,
    5 days to go and you may have the second steal of a VDB in three months. Good luck.
    Steveimage
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw this coin yesterday at Bowers & Merena's office here in Irvine, and the pictures do not do this coin justice at all. It really is a beautiful piece with lots of nice color for a brown. I'm anxious to see what this coin ends up going for.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aww, c'mon Charmy I'm tryin' to steal it!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>Aww, c'mon Charmy I'm tryin' to steal it! >>

Hmmm, sorry, Rick, didn't you know I have a side job at Bowers & Merena as an undercover "auction bumper"! They pay me to ooooh and awwww over their ugly coins on message boards so as to drive up auction prices!
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Aww, c'mon Charmy I'm tryin' to steal it! >>

Hmmm, sorry, Rick, didn't you know I have a side job at Bowers & Merena as an undercover "auction bumper"! They pay me to ooooh and awwww over their ugly coins on message boards so as to drive up auction prices! >>

I saw that comingimage
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final Bid $24,150.00

<< <i>Final Bid $24,150.00 >>

I wonder if Rick Snow or ANYONE here knows who won this coin? And if it was going to show up at the ANA in August in a PCGS holder?
    Steveimage
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That's almost double the NGC price guide image >>

The NGC price guide is a joke. I'd love to buy their MPL's at those prices.
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I wonder if Rick Snow or ANYONE here knows who won this coin? And if it was going to show up at the ANA in August in a PCGS holder?
    Steveimage >>

Steve, I know who won the coin as I was sitting with him/her at the auction last night.

It is also already in a PCGS 64BN holder and has a new owner. I doubt anyone is going to see it for a long time, and that's all I can say about thatimage

I did get to see it in hand and it was certainly quite a stunner...very, very nice!
  • 66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image EVER!!! >>

Alright, let me clarify a bit.

I sat in the auction on Thursday night with Andy Skrabalak and another high ranking Lincoln registry set collector. Andy won the coin. On Friday morning, he had it crossed over to PCGS with a min. grade of 64BN which is what it came back as.

Before noon on Friday, he had it sold to a very good customer of his who wishes to remain anonymous and does not have a registry set. I was able to view the coin at Andy's table in the PCGS 64BN holder. The tiny carbon spots were hardly noticeable in hand, however the diagnostic die polish lines in front of the nose and the crescent shaped die chip on the upper reverse were quite easy to discern. As I said above, it was a very, very nice coin!
    I agree, it was a very nice coin, the minor specks were not distracting at all, it has great eye appeal with a good amount of red.