Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toned 1921 Morgan Question

anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
Posted this over at TCCS but its slower there than here, so...

Got this a while back. Its hard to photograph accurately, but I think the first set of pix do it justice.

I think its a 65 but it was given a 64 by ANACS. The strike is atypical of a 1921.

I'm thinking of crossing it over to PCGS. Opinions?

Thanks guys!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭
    That is a most HAMMERED strike for a 1921!

That could go MS65 at PCGS!

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the marks in front of the eye? How bad are those spots on the reverse?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    'Fin SWEET!!!!!!!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Toning breaks in front of the eye & toning spots on the reverse are very small (most accurately seen in the first set of actual size images).
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    great strike but i think the spots keep it from going gem

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe.
    I think it would be worth just as much to most people where it is.
    If you were going to try to sell on Ebay it might be worth crossing.
    I would leave it where it is.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Technically an MS65, but those spots are going to keep it down IMO.

-Paul
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if it went higher than 63 at PCGS because of the spots.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    I really like the color on that one. Very nice!image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Carbon spots would cost a point or two, yup.
  • Options
    I really want to cross it for my registry set & I won't ever find another rim toned 1921 again like this one.

I think it's worth a shot and if it stays a 64, then so be it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If it goes 65, then all the better.

~Wayne
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your 1921 has the look of an ANACS holder toned coin. It may have been white when it was first placed in the ANACS slab.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    It's a pretty coin, enjoy it as it is.
  • Options

<< <i>I would be surprised if it went higher than 63 at PCGS because of the spots.

-Paul >>

Agree
  • Options

<< <i>Your 1921 has the look of an ANACS holder toned coin. It may have been white when it was first placed in the ANACS slab. >>

It was purchased raw with that toning already established. It came from an old album.

For once, the ANACS slab had nothing to do with the toning; though I've experienced other coins tone while in those slabs.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate the candor... this is one of my favorite Morgans I own... Thanks for letting me share it!

~Wayne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file