Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin you loved...you got...then became disillusioned with.

adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
For me, it is the Saint Gauden Double Eagle.

I wanted this coin as a child when I started collecting. Terrific, beautiful design. But I was looking at 'plate' coins. Good stuff that shows up in books.

I've seen some very nice ones on this forum. But, to get a really appealing coin...I cannot do it. It is well beyond me in price and probably always will be.

For me, "the wall" (which is an affordability thing) seems to be at 63, and i'm not sure I like the look of 63 saints. So many of these have strike problems. So many were treated poorly. Perhaps all of them have something to complain about. This is something that has grown on me.

Now that I have a few, I am less attracted to them. It's something about the surface. Perhaps I am just personally more forgiving about the Liberties?
Don't get me wrong, i'm glad that I have samples so that I can see it in great detail. I do like the edge. I'm weak for well done edge lettering.

It's easier to find a pleasing-to-my-eye surface on the liberty series. The fields of the Liberty series are just totally different than the fields on the following series; and that goes for all denominations.

Funny thing is, at the same time the Saint worship wore off, I developed an increasing taste for the previous Liberty series. I remember not liking the design of the Liberty series as a child.

Aw, heck. Who am I kidding. I love 'em, the big gold coins. It is just that I guess the 'honeymoon is over' for this series as the real eye candy is out of reach.

And...I forgot another Big Disappointment for me...but on a much shorter timescale.

UHR.

The finish on most of them sucks, in my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    100% truth... I had a 1943 copper penny...

I thought it was gone to change my life.. All it did for me is get me in trouble so I bought a gumball with it and then I woke up.. Dreams are fun huh..
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I own any that I have become disillusioned with but I do own several that I could part company with.

I've never owned a Saint but it is on my list of "Someday Coins"! Its no where near the top though.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    Barbers.

As a kid, I tried to fill a Capital Plastics "20th Century Type Set" holder with all UNC coins. Since it had no holes for gold, for me the stoppers were the Barber Quarter & Half, which back in the 80s cost about what they do today. I never did fill those last two holes.

When I returned to collecting as an adult, my first objective was to finish that set I started, and I eventually got both the quarter & the half in UNC.

No disrespect aimed at all the Barber lovers in the house - indeed I like a nice, original, toned, frosted cameo as much as the next guy - but personally I do not much care for the design itself: on the obverse I see a Morgan dollar portrait that has been reversed, distilled, & diluted, and on the reverse I see a parody of the Bust reverse. Compounding my disdain, is everything I have ever read about Charles Barber and how he effectively sought to suppress creativity at the Mint in favor of his & his design's own self-preservation.

Owning these coins did fill the long-standing holes in my collection, but they did little fulfill me. Ultimately I opted to alter the focus of my set towards just those issues that embody what is referred to as "America's Coin Renaissance" and so I sold the Barbers to better appropriate my resources towards coins I truly enjoy instead of ones I merely felt obligated to own.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Funny you should mention this, not too long ago I was looking at $20 Libs and Saints that I have in the bank vault, these are all common dates in NGC/PCGS 58-62. I was thinking to myself "Only a couple of these are pretty, and the 60/61 coins are just nasty". Granted I bought them as bullion in 01/02 and that's all I ever considered them to be, but selling them and taking said money and buying a smaller quantity of attractive coins is an idea indeed.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file