Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you do if a TPG company owes you a refund or replacement coins.

I have a issue with one of the top TPG's out there.. They have over $2,000+ valued coins I sent in in August/08 for quality control.. The grade didn't meet the one on the slab. They even deemed them overgraded.

I have waited in good faith after they said they will find replacements.. Every two months I check in and they tell me no decision has been made when they will down grade and refund value or what.. So now it's 8 months later still no coins..

What would you do?..

What recourse do I have?

Should I call Judge Judy?

Seriously any of you had this problem before.

I don't think PCGS would do this stuff to a customer. Pm me with options.. Thanks..

P.S. No companies name will be given due to possible deflamation lawsuit..

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    what's sad is has price dropped in their 8 month holding???

are they waiting till they owe you next to nothing???

nicely let them know after 8 months you're thinking of taking this public
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>what's sad is has price dropped in their 8 month holding???

are they waiting till they owe you next to nothing???

nicely let them know after 8 months you're thinking of taking this public >>

Teddy, you are 100% right. I think Coinworld or Nusimatic news is my next bet..

I really just want the coins in the grade I paid for.. Simple simon..
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Have you looked for replacements on the market then pointed them to where they could get them? I'm not saying you should have to do that, but after this long I'd want some resolution.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416

<< <i>Have you looked for replacements on the market then pointed them to where they could get them? I'm not saying you should have to do that, but after this long I'd want some resolution. >>

I would do the above as well as negotiate {politely and professionally) a drop dead date where they either have replacement coins in hand to send you or a check to cover your losses cut and mailed to you.

If they have already given you timelines/deadlines and missed them, I would politely point out those missed deadlines and negotiate a final cash settlement. I hate to use a cliché but "They can't give you what they don't have" and if they are not going to proactively look for it, I would settle on a cash amount and walk away. In addition, I would not do business with them again. JMHO

Good Luck
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Personally I would have never waited 8 months for my money or coins back. I would be talking with some of the higher ups of this TPG on a daily basis until I received what was mine!
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    I know this sounds awful, but do you have any friends you've met here on the forums or maybe a big dealer who'd make a call or send an email or something on your behalf? Letters/calls from the little guys (you and me) don't seem to mean much from a TPG, even when they are obviously in the wrong...

PM sent...
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    List them on eBay and send the link to the TPG in question. That will give them 10 days to decide .

That's probably not the best idea George. I'm just rambling because it's nearly a year now. image
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Sounds like this other TPG may be downsizing due the economy hence the slow reaction time.
    May want to see where they're working out of these days,if its out of a garage then not a good sign.

The amount of time that has elapsed is unreasonable, perhaps you may want to become unreasonable in return.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    do ANACS and ICG guarantee coins from previous owners?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    We know who you deal with George and frankly, I'm shocked that they have taken this long.

Total disgrace in customer service or grade guarantee's. Once they agreed the coins would downgrade, they should have negotiated the terms of the deal. For example, coins in holders a point or two lower with an amount for the market difference or a simply buy back at current market values. Whether you lose money or not solely depends on how much you paid. If you overpaid, then thats one for the books.

If they cannot do this then they need to get out of the business. Anything over a typical grading submission time frame is simply unacceptable and runs the risk of being completely lost!

Get on the horn Monday morning and call them and work out a resolution that meets your needs as a customer. If they cannot do this then out them. (As long as your side of the story is correct and not "embellished" with presumptions on your part due to your frustrations.)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I would have started complaining 6 months ago.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>do ANACS and ICG guarantee coins from previous owners? >>

Yes. If they didn't, no one would buy coins in their slabs and dealers would never use their services.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem once with a TPG (not PCGS or NGC). They had mis-attributed a particular variety and offered to find a replacement at the same grade. I knew that it would be very difficult to find this particular deep cameo proof.

After about 60 days I contacted them and requested that we ought to settle up. They asked for a couple more weeks as a big show was coming up. They still couldn't find a replacement so they refunded my original purchase price.

I acted professionally, and they acted professionally.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Yea, I am not a happy camper.. I have had emails and even telephone calls.. Funny thing is there are a few people that work there at this TPG service that read the boards here and have told someone I know to be very careful on how I/We comment about their business.

Time Frame?? No time frame given, told me from the start that they were sorry and that is was no excuse for the coin/coins to be graded in such a way... I have been getting the run a round for months and I am not happy.. I know one thing, they will never get my business again and not because I don't like their slab and theory on the rest of the coins graded by them, but for them to take credit for their mistakes and not right the ship.

It is totally shameful a money maker like this made this kind of decision..

P.S. I have learned not to pressure a dog on a chain.. In time that dog will choke and I will win.. Just looking for some concrete way of talking to them without fueling the fire.

• Options
    The pity is : TPGs will be forced to change policy knowing that "grading" is subjective. Do they take money out of the grader's wages ? Who's responsible ?
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a issue with one of the top TPG's out there.. They have over $2,000+ valued coins I sent in in August/08 for quality control.. The grade didn't meet the one on the slab. They even deemed them overgraded.

I have waited in good faith after they said they will find replacements.. Every two months I check in and they tell me no decision has been made when they will down grade and refund value or what.. So now it's 8 months later still no coins..

What would you do?..

What recourse do I have?

Should I call Judge Judy?

Seriously any of you had this problem before.

I don't think PCGS would do this stuff to a customer. Pm me with options.. Thanks..

P.S. No companies name will be given due to possible deflamation lawsuit.. >>

Just a quick question, is a deflamation suit the thingy a stuntman wears in a pyrotechnic scene?
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a issue with one of the top TPG's out there.. They have over $2,000+ valued coins I sent in in August/08 for quality control.. The grade didn't meet the one on the slab. They even deemed them overgraded.

What would you do?.. >>

i would complain about it on the pcgs forum

K S
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just a quick question, is a deflamation suit the thingy a stuntman wears in a pyrotechnic scene? >>

Ha!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I had a relatively minor issue with a TPG (not PCGS), and a BIG name in numismatics called the president on my behalf and the issue was resolved literally the same day.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.........sounds like a good question for a new supreme court judge!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Sounds like you want your cake and eat it too. Maybe you should have used your grading skills and not bought them. Now it sounds like you got caught holding marginal coins for the grades and are looking for a bail out. I think you should just try to pass them off to another marginal buyer like yourself. People like you is why PCGS charges so much. If you wanted properly graded or PQ why didn't you buy it in the first place. Or is charity off the back of my PCGS fees what you were looking for in the first place?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.........sounds like a good question for a new supreme court judge!image >>

Not if you're a white male.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Sounds like you want your cake and eat it too. Maybe you should have used your grading skills and not bought them. Now it sounds like you got caught holding marginal coins for the grades and are looking for a bail out. I think you should just try to pass them off to another marginal buyer like yourself. People like you is why PCGS charges so much. If you wanted properly graded or PQ why didn't you buy it in the first place. Or is charity off the back of my PCGS fees what you were looking for in the first place? >>

Little "D" strikes again..image
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>

<< <i>Sounds like you want your cake and eat it too. Maybe you should have used your grading skills and not bought them. Now it sounds like you got caught holding marginal coins for the grades and are looking for a bail out. I think you should just try to pass them off to another marginal buyer like yourself. People like you is why PCGS charges so much. If you wanted properly graded or PQ why didn't you buy it in the first place. Or is charity off the back of my PCGS fees what you were looking for in the first place? >>

Little "D" strikes again..image >>

You may think what I said was funny but a lot of stuff you think has little grasp on reality, the point stands. Unless something big was missed like re-engraved stars. The coin was low end market acceptable back when it was graded. Just because the standards have shifted somewhat why should someone other than the person who thought it was ok when they bought it pay for it. You either bought a coin for too much money and are looking for a bail out because you don't know enough to protect yourself when spending money (the stupid choice) or you bought a graded coin at a discount and are looking for a full price better one as a replacement because of a loophole(the shady choice) so you are stupid or shady or a combination of the two. We all have had coins we did not agree with the grade but I can say I have always known what I thought they were worth when I bought them and never felt like I was owed better or worse(the personal responsibility choice). The piece of paper at the top of the slab only gives me a second opinion after my own and helps me maximize the value if I sell the coin on eBay. Nothing else

Right me off if you will, but I challenge you to offer a counter argument as to why anyone owes you because you are left holding coins that are low end. Yes I know PCGS offers that protection to people to strengthen their brand, but lots of governments and businesses offer protections for people that can't protect themselves. Most men are too proud or self reliant to accept any form of bailout or hand out they didn't earn. If you had bought coins that were PQ and they ended up getting upgraded would you send a check to the dealer for the difference?
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    What's the deal with all the bickering between everyone lately?

Can't be the heat, its only June.
  • Options

<< <i>What's the deal with all the bickering between everyone lately?

Can't be the heat, its only June. >>

Decimals should take the place of decibles. But there are deaf ears too proud to hear.
    69.9 * is about the max grade and even it should not be "guaranteed". All metal is subject to change.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Have you talked with the president of said company? I once had a question I thought only the pres of PCGS could answer, I e-mailed him and got a reply from his cell phone on his vacation in Hawaii. image
  • Options

<< <i>You may think what I said was funny but a lot of stuff you think has little grasp on reality, the point stands. Unless something big was missed like re-engraved stars. The coin was low end market acceptable back when it was graded. Just because the standards have shifted somewhat why should someone other than the person who thought it was ok when they bought it pay for it. You either bought a coin for too much money and are looking for a bail out because you don't know enough to protect yourself when spending money (the stupid choice) or you bought a graded coin at a discount and are looking for a full price better one as a replacement because of a loophole(the shady choice) so you are stupid or shady or a combination of the two. We all have had coins we did not agree with the grade but I can say I have always known what I thought they were worth when I bought them and never felt like I was owed better or worse(the personal responsibility choice). The piece of paper at the top of the slab only gives me a second opinion after my own and helps me maximize the value if I sell the coin on eBay. Nothing else >>

Did you miss the fact that the TPG agrees that the coin was graded incorrectly? You don't even know he's talking about PCGS and yet you behave like an absolute fool trying to defend it. You develop conspiracy theories in an attempt to discredit the OP with zero proof and have the nerve to question another person's grasp on reality? You don't even consider that what happened in this thread could be the truth and that makes it very apparent how biased you are. You taking the paper at the top of the slab as a second opinion is not relevant to this thread; the TPG guarantees the coin is correctly graded and they agree that it wasn't, end of story.

<< <i>Right me off if you will, but I challenge you to offer a counter argument as to why anyone owes you because you are left holding coins that are low end. Yes I know PCGS offers that protection to people to strengthen their brand, but lots of governments and businesses offer protections for people that can't protect themselves. Most men are too proud or self reliant to accept any form of bailout or hand out they didn't earn. If you had bought coins that were PQ and they ended up getting upgraded would you send a check to the dealer for the difference? >>

They owe him because they guarantee that the coin will be correctly graded and it wasn't, there is no debate here. If I bought a truck with a warranty and found that it was faulty, I'm not going to pay to fix it myself because I'm too proud to have someone else foot the bill... what is the purpose of a guarantee if a person doesn't use it when they have a reason to? Does a buyer guarantee a dealer that he would pay more if the coin upgraded? No, so he doesn't owe him a cent.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Right me off if you will, >>

I believe most of us wrote you off long ago.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of what you say here, truth is a strong defense. That, and a good lawyer image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file