Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Scum Ebay Seller.....................................

on heritage
on ebay

on heritage
on ebay

Check out all his other auctions too.... same thing.

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the grandmother sold them on Heritage
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    "This is from a collection of coins left to my Mother by my Grandfather."

Yes indeed. A rich family 'Heritage'.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandpa must of bought then last month and Mom didn't like plastic.
    But right now the family is losing money on them until Unkle Shill steps in with some bids.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying,flipping,selling and not tellingimage
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buying,flipping,selling and not tellingimage >>

You forgot cracking....
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Buying,flipping,selling and not tellingimage >>

You forgot cracking.... >>

I caught it to lateimage
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, at least it looks like this joker is losing money.
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    "This is from a collection of coins left to my Mother by my Grandfather." What difference does it make where the coin came from? From the buyer's standpoint, this is just superfluous information, so it shouldn't affect the value of the coin one way or another. While I don't particularly care for storyteller sellers, I suppose in this case one could argue it's merely a white lie. Dubious? Maybe. Scum? Eh, I don't know...I've seen a lot worse!
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"This is from a collection of coins left to my Mother by my Grandfather." What difference does it make where the coin came from? From the buyer's standpoint, this is just superfluous information, so it shouldn't affect the value of the coin one way or another. While I don't particularly care for storyteller sellers, I suppose in this case one could argue it's merely a white lie. Dubious? Maybe. Scum? Eh, I don't know...I've seen a lot worse! >>

I care about the seller's flipping methods---- crack out problem coins and sell them raw, and advertise them as part of an old-time collection.
  • Options
    It's just that this particular person is a...

CRACKOUT ARTIST

...and is not disclosing that they buy coins in problem holders, crack them out, and sell them as raw without mention of the problem.

Lots of folks here have a problem with that and consider it scummy behavior. Apparently, some folks (even some folks here) consider it a business model.

• Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    What's the problem? the seller is loosing money image

Serves him right
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, at least it looks like this joker is losing money. >>

This is my observation as well, they lost money on BOTH auctions.

• Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the problem? the seller is loosing money image

Serves him right >>

Plus they offer a 7-day return privilege. If the buyer is disappointed that the scratch was not revealed in the auction listing they can return it. If I were ponying $1k for a raw coin on eBay, I would certainly do my homework. But I doubt I would ever spend that much for a raw coin on eBay. image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options

<< <i>What's the problem? the seller is loosing money image

Serves him right >>

x2

Between those two pieces, he's in the hole a couple hundred. image
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I asked the seller this question:

"Grandfather to mother?

http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=1126&Lot_No=2071"
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    At least she/he is not doctoring the problem coins that they remove from slabs. Link
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Grandpa must of bought then last month and Mom didn't like plastic.
    But right now the family is losing money on them until Unkle Shill steps in with some bids.
    image >>

One of the more clever posts in recent memory
  • Options
    Result #1:

Heritage purchase for 1872-CC half, improperly cleaned: $1495

eBay sales for same coin, cracked out: $1428

eBay fees are about $43 for this one.

Net loss, about $110.

Result #2:

Heritage purchase for 1870-CC half, scratched: $1265

eBay sales price for same coin, cracked out: $1865

eBay fees are about $50 for this one.

Net gain, about $550.

Total net gain for the two coins, about $440. Providing that no sales taxes were paid on the Heritage purchase.

Hey, whaddayknow! Profit!

As long as Uncle Shill was not the winner.

• Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Check out all his other auctions too.... same thing. >>

In the coin trade, as well as with the antique trade, ignore all stories. I don't know why people want to
    claim a coin was found in grampa's trunk, but it matters zero to what the coin is worth. The 2 examples you cited
    are both desirable coins that sold for about what they are worth. Many people won't buy a coin that says "scratched"
    or "cleaned" on the holder, and the vast majority are cracked out and sold raw. Only the "improperly" cleaned coins
    are put in slabs with that bad word on them. The "properly" cleaned coins get put in slabs with no mention of cleaning.

The coins have a return privilege, and collectors of these coins are sophisticated enough to determine whether the
    coin is acceptable TO THEM for the price paid.

These coins were sold several months ago on Heritage. What is your proof that the ebay seller was the BUYER on Heritage
    or that he cracked out the coins?

(the OP is 17 years old and received the ANA Young Numismatist award...but still has to learn some realities of the
    marketplace)

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Food for thought Frank, well done.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Dammit, Frank. What a buzzkill. (or do I call you Mr. Coins. Is Frank too informal? Sorry if I offend.) (Looks like you actually provide your full name in your sigline, so egg is on my face)

eBay + weekend + Heritage + forum = easy hate outlet

You have excellent points.
    But does it sell newspapers? No.

Also, for a low-feedback seller to realize Heritage like prices, well, that's pretty good in my opinion.

[edits] Manual speel cheking for multipl erorrs.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

In the coin trade, as well as with the antique trade, ignore all stories. I don't know why people want to
    claim a coin was found in grampa's trunk, but it matters zero to what the coin is worth. The 2 examples you cited
    are both desirable coins that sold for about what they are worth. Many people won't buy a coin that says "scratched"
    or "cleaned" on the holder, and the vast majority are cracked out and sold raw. Only the "improperly" cleaned coins
    are put in slabs with that bad word on them. The "properly" cleaned coins get put in slabs with no mention of cleaning.

The coins have a return privilege, and collectors of these coins are sophisticated enough to determine whether the
    coin is acceptable TO THEM for the price paid.

These coins were sold several months ago on Heritage. What is your proof that the ebay seller was the BUYER on Heritage
    or that he cracked out the coins?
    >>

Did the coins sell for what I think they're worth? Yes. But they could have just as easily sold for more. The closing price of an auction doesn't necessarily excuse the ethics of the sale.

I have no proof that this ebay seller is the one that bought them on Heritage. However, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume what occured here. What's your proof the buyer is sophisticated enough to know what is going on? I know plenty of uneducated folks with thick wallets.

I don't care much about the story. I just find it bad business to be cracking out problem coins and selling them raw without any mention of the issue, with photos that don't disclose the issue either.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's just that this particular person is a...

CRACKOUT ARTIST

...and is not disclosing that they buy coins in problem holders, crack them out, and sell them as raw without mention of the problem. >>

We must define crackout artist differently.... A crackout artist cracks coins out for upgrades, not to sell them raw on eBay.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Frank makes some good points. That said however, I am not a 17 year old kid and have, nor ever will win any numismatist award... but can smell bs a good ways off.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. Likely the sellers "story" didn't enhance the ending bid but it does serve to make him a liar in my book.
  • Options
    the OP is 17 years old and received the ANA Young Numismatist award...but still has to learn some realities of the
    marketplace)

Disregard,misread postimage

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We must define crackout artist differently.... A crackout artist cracks coins out for upgrades, not to sell them raw on eBay.

Agree with you on that! If a person knowingly buys TPG problem coins where the problem is noted on the holder, cracks them out and then resells them without mentioning the problem and also makes up some false pedigree like 'out of grandma's trunk of family treasures' to make the coin seem new to the marketplace, then they are not telling the truth (=liar) and as a result of that are attempting to defraud folks by misrepresenting the product they are selling. No difference between this and a used car dealer who sells a flood damaged car with the odometer rolled back as 'driven by a little old lady to church once a week and never damaged.'. No, a person who cracks something out to resell it like was done here is not a crackout artist. IMO a crackout artist is someone who looks for PQ or undergraded coins, cracks them out and resubmits as raw attempting to get a higher grade, then resell the coin in the holder with the higher grade.

Yes Frank has a couple of good points but just because it is a reality in the marketplace that there are some unscrupulous sellers does not make it OK...

Just a couple of thoughts for a Monday...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777

<< <i>Frank makes some good points. That said however, I am not a 17 year old kid and have, nor ever will win any numismatist award... but can smell bs a good ways off.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. Likely the sellers "story" didn't enhance the ending bid but it does serve to make him a liar in my book. >>

Some ducks don't walk or quack.image

• Options
    17 transactions on e-bay.

What was his name before.

Thanks for your post.

Every time I see one of these, I go away for a few months.
    Krav Maga is my main interest.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as Uncle Shill was not the winner.

you mean???? 2***G(182) ???? Nah....he was just havin fun biddin....ON BOTH....
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    tjc2120tjc2120 Posts: 714
    I don't care much about the story. I just find it bad business to be cracking out problem coins and selling them raw without any mention of the issue, with photos that don't disclose the issue either.

I agree with Young. In my book this is dishonest - there is intent to hide information to profit personally. There is intent to keep known information from the buyer and hide behind "the buyer should know better" to justify the practice.

This practice is a "reality of the marketplace", as Frank points out, but it does not make it OK. Unless everything is OK as long as it makes you a buck.
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so we have one group of the opinion that third party grading is just that - an opinion. "Net graded" or problem coins are identified as such with some degree of subjectiveness; eventually cracking such coins out of their holders and selling them without any disclosure of the prior professional opinion is acceptable business practice.

The other side says that failure to disclose any material information, even information that is subjective and "just the opinion of the grading company" is tantamount to fraud.

The first opinion presupposes an educated and knowledgable market, capable of reaching their own conclusions - even from photographs. The second attempts to hold sellers to a higher standard of disclosure, more on the level of, say, real estate disclosure.

My opinion is that I need as much information as possible prior to any purchase. This information is not limited to the coin itself; the reputation of a seller, my past dealings and others' reports of past dealings factor in as well.

In this case, and sadly so given his age and expertise, the information disclosed about the seller militates against any possible future dealings with him.
  • Options
    I'm in the Dr. Seuss mood today

What have we learned in this thread?

This seller is:

A slacker cracker quacker mister flipper ripper.

His family?

Uncle Shill is there to help with Momma's Bills and Granny's Pills.

The coins?

A cleaned screened scratched matched batch crap catch.

Okay, i'll stop. <elvis>Thank you very much.</elvis>
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong on this at all, remember how I tore into Shuck the cracker ?? All those " We dont need no stinkin slab" threads?

I think cracking netgrades and selling raw undisclosed is the worst of the worst, despicable at best. I just thought Frank raised " food for thought " in a very compelling way.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Frank, you asked a question.

<< <i>What is your proof that the ebay seller was the BUYER on Heritage
    or that he cracked out the coins? >>

Here's proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

1. The seller stated the coins were from her grandfather's collection, which were given to her mother. (I assume you agree.)
    2. The seller knowingly and blatantly lied, as evidenced by the fact the coins were not in her mother's possession a mere two month's earlier. (I assume you agree.)
    3. Transport to the bidder from Heritage takes a significant amount of time. (I assume you agree.)
    4. See point number 2.
    5. Upon receipt from Heritage, resale by the bidder to this particular ebay (scumbag) seller would take a couple days bare minimum. (scumbag = my opinion)
    6. See point number 2.
    7. Three potential scenarios then exist, i.e. either the seller (or seller's representative) was the bidder in the Heritage auctions, or the seller bought both coins from the person who was the bidder in the Heritage auctions, or pigs can fly. (Maybe you agree.)
    8. See point number 2.
    9. Let point number 2 sink in some more.

Q.E.D.

And if you disagree with me, then you sir are worse than Hitler. image Now don't go getting your panties in a bunch. I am quotingt Greg Gutfeld's catch phrase for a little light hearted fun.
  • Options

<< <i>
    In this case, and sadly so given his age and expertise, the information disclosed about the seller militates against any possible future dealings with him. >>

Is that in regards to me? I'm the one who's 17, not the seller.
  • Options

<< <i>OK, so we have one group of the opinion that third party grading is just that - an opinion. "Net graded" or problem coins are identified as such with some degree of subjectiveness; eventually cracking such coins out of their holders and selling them without any disclosure of the prior professional opinion is acceptable business practice.

The other side says that failure to disclose any material information, even information that is subjective and "just the opinion of the grading company" is tantamount to fraud.

The first opinion presupposes an educated and knowledgable market, capable of reaching their own conclusions - even from photographs. The second attempts to hold sellers to a higher standard of disclosure, more on the level of, say, real estate disclosure.

My opinion is that I need as much information as possible prior to any purchase. This information is not limited to the coin itself; the reputation of a seller, my past dealings and others' reports of past dealings factor in as well.

In this case, and sadly so given his age and expertise, the information disclosed about the seller militates against any possible future dealings with him. >>

The topic of "disclosure" has been discussed many, many times.

Here's my take:
    Of course, grading is subjective, and so is the designation of problems. If you have a coin you think is a 65, but resides in a 64 holder, and you crack the coin out and sell it as a raw Gem, trying to get 65 money, that's fine by me, as long as accurate photos are provided.

If you have a coin graded as having a problem, and you believe the coin is worthy of stright-grading, and you decide to crack out it and sell it raw, that's ok too, once again provided that you supply good images.

Now if you purchase a large quantity of problem coins, crack some of them out (it's certainly possible there were some coins the seller still has in ANACS and NCS holders that he's decided to not crack), and give a false story about the coin's origins, that crosses the line IMO.
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    The least relevant fact here is the OP's age. GoldenEye has a very sharp mind, as is evident from his posts, regardless of how many times he happens to have revolved around the nearest star! And sure enuf, there are boatloads of scum sellers on Ebay ...

Sunnywood
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I misspoke. My too quick reading of Frank's post had me thinking that the seller was 17.

OTOH, Will is as sharp as they come, irrespective of age.

As far as the coins in question go, I think that you can probably infer from my post how I feel. Regardless of the sellers' age.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I agree with Frank.
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    <<I've seen a lot worse! >>

I agree. The grandpa story may be bs (unless Grandpa bought them from Heritage and then passed away recently), but he didn't misrepresent them as problem free, started at $.99 and offers a return policy. No big deal.
  • Options
    He just resold it. Looks like the first closing for the 72-CC was a shill, and he relisted:

$6767
  • Options
    Nice profit.Cost him$1,495.00..(heritage)..POS.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    The "reality of the marketplace" is that this seller is a scumbag in any marketplace and probably in life in general.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    If I had the buyers email I would send him the link to the Heritage auction.
    This dont sit well with meimage
  • Options

<< <i>on heritage
    on ebay

on heritage
    on ebay

wait a minute- who was that one seller that was unloading a boatload of 'inherited' stuff labeled FDR in the old paper flips, or sumthin like that- same area of the country folks.... he was a big thing here on the boards last year if not mistaken...
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im alright with flippers who want to resell slabs-(ALL DEALER/traders(maye not collectors) somehow do it.)
    but this is just plain dishonest
    frank Im sorry-maybe you were just playing devils advocate- but no joke this is just plain theft

-joe
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Awhile back they had a 84-s morgan in 60-62 . I live in Hickory Hills , so

I sent an email to see if I could me in a public place to examine the coin .

Reply was a flat NO , because she or he said the coins were in Frankfort ( about a 20 - 30 minutes)

at her mothers or grandmothers house ..

I wanted to see it in hand because something just said cleaned (though it looked nice)

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • Options
    AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭
    I was watching a seated Proof half that she sold. I asked a question regarding the fields being mirored or reflective and even got a legitimate sounding response that " the flat areas of the coin look like a mirror, but not so much as the not flat area." She not only is playing people that this is something inherited, but even the approach of a non-collector. Amazing. Regardless to say the coin sold for more than I would offer.
  • Options
    AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭
    In another thread it is pointed out that she bought a coin for $1000 and sold it for $6000.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file