Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

A new twist on a tag! Thoughts on a Long Beach Coin show Tag in September?

Would anyone be interested in a Coin tag at the Long Beach show?

Here is how I would perceive it to work:

1 - I would place a box together of coins that I would take to the show in Long Beach CA this September
2 - We could have a sign up list here and several individual collectors who are attending the show, could meet me live at various predetermined times Wednesday thru Friday or Saturday.
3 - Each collector would bring pieces they want to trade and the tag would be completed on the spot.
4 - Here is a loose example of how I perceive the tag sign up to go:
A) Wednesday 4 PM - Collector 1 reviews tag box and makes trades
B) Wednesday 6 PM - Collector 2 reviews tag box and makes trades
C) Wednesday 8 PM - Collector 3 reviews tag box and makes trades
D) Thursday 8 AM - Collector 4 reviews tag box and makes trades
E) Thursday 6 PM - Collector 5 reviews tag box and makes trades
F) Friday 8 AM - Collector 6 reviews tag box and makes trades
G) Friday 4 PM - Collector 7 reviews tag box and makes trades
H) Friday 6 PM - Collector 8 reviews tag box and makes trades
5) - If collectors come at the last minute they could still sign up using this forum.
6) - The Tag meeting could take place at the Hyatt, the hotel ajacent to the show

The cool thing about this tag is there would be no shipping fees and everyone would know when they are getting to look at the tag box. No waiting for reviewing coins sent. Decision could be made on the spot because you are face to face and have all the information you need. No USPS hold ups and I could update the box as we go on the PCGS forum at least on a nightly basis.

My only concern is I do not want to break any show etiquette/rules. If this is looked down upon and someone has information regarding this please let me know.

I know Ajia and a few others usually frequent this show. Any thoughts? Are any of you regular taggers up for this? Even if we only have 2-3 taggers for the week it would be fun.
Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

Comments

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    Sign me up!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could probably twist my arm into participating if Saturday is a possiblity image Since the show is pretty much dead starting at 2 or 3pm on Saturday, could be fun if even a few of us could meet around that time and just take turns tagging.
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    Claychaser, sounds good. Illini420, I will make Saturday work.

I think a multi tag at the end of the show is a good idea as well
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    End of show may be best, or the other good time may be during one of the evening auction sessions if any of us are waiting for a special lot to come up.

I see people doing deals all the time in the convention center lobby at the dining tables for the concessions. There is also usually empty and open meeting rooms too.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • Options
    I LEAVE Cali and NOW someone comes up with a decent PLAN on a TAG

I am imageimageimage

good Luck it would work out image

• Options
    Sorry Morganhunter2image
    Best Regards,

Rob

• Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I'm in!!

Of course, I have to come up with some 'observations'...... image
    But better to think about it now than later, IMO.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could all get together at the same time to do the 'tagging'?
    Maybe meet in the food court?****Sorry, just read about possibly the Hyatt, although folks might feel safer where there's security?
    Granted, this introduces another can of worms, if 2 or more want the same coin, but it would be a bummer to be one of the first, then find out a coin you really wanted was in the tag later on.
    Or one of the last & find the coin you really wanted was taken before you could.
    OR someone brings in a coin that you (oxy8890), don't really want, or can't 'afford' to trade for (this is just hypothetical), yet another member down the line can and misses out on.

Also, placing values on the coins. With a real, or virtual tag, members have time to research and determine what values coins wanted have, either book value or auction value, etc.

Don't misunderstand, I LOVE the concept, but I kinda like the idea of sitting around a table and doing a 'trading cards' scenario.
    Hey, we even get to meet more members that way.

Just my 'too sense'.
  • Options
    Ajia,

Thanks for the "too sense", IMHO as always you have some excellent ideas.

I have no issue with a "group tag" at all. I just wanted to put together an opportunity to trade/tag. If everyone wants to trade in a group, that is fine with me. We could even meet at a couple different times or a designated time and place each day so those who are only here for a day or two could still make at least one "tag" event. For example we could meet in the food court area at 3 PM on Thursday and Friday. In addition/or we could also meet before and/or after the show in the Hyatt eating area, say Wednesday at 8 PM and Saturday at 12 Noon before everyone departs.

If anyone knows what areas are more secure than others please post to this thread ( I have always felt more secure in the Hyatt than at the convention center but again JMHO).

Post the coins to be traded or involved in the group tag a couple days before the tag begins I feel is an excellent idea as well.

Let's make this fun for everyone so if there are any additional ideas on how to better the "tag/group tag" please post them.

No idea is a bad idea, but some might be a little better than others for our tag! image
    Best Regards,

Rob