Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Visiting San Diego

This time next week I will be visiting San Diego, CA, and meet up with YMAREA to view in person his gorgeous collection.
Looking forward to meeting you and your cards Brett!

Comments

• Options
    Stop by and say hi to Gary for us.

On a cereal note, have fun. Judging by the gems Brett posts every Satruday, it has to be an amazing collection.
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    (Whose Gary?)
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to meeting you and your family, Michael. All I ask is that you don't poke fun at my big belly.
    Brett
  • Options
    I'll bet my belly is BIGGER!!!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Gary is over 300 miles away from San Diego.

Have a great trip, Michael, and PM me if you're looking for any tourist tips.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    OK Brett and Michael ... I'm making a bet for you! Whoever has the BIGGEST Belly wins ... and the loser has to take the winner to a FAST FOOD place and you guys have to PIG OUT! LOL

In all seriousness, I hope you guys have a GREAT time and I wish Michael and his family a SAFE and HEALTHY trip!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nick I PMed you.
    Dboneesq, LOL. Thanks for the hope for safety. My kids are 4 and 6 and have never traveled before so a 10 hour plane ride should be an "experience". I think the winner should have to carry the other one for a one mile walk on their back. I would do that anyway just to see some of those MINTY cards that Brett has in his collection. I'm especially interested in the 1972 Baseball set he has. I'm building one with PSA SGC or BGS 8 or better and have about 100 left. I'm sure his will put my to shame considering his high standards on centering and overall card quality.
  • Options
    Well, I just got back from San Diego(and boy are my arms tired). ON our first day we were able to travel an hour North and my family visited Brett(YMAREA). GORGEOUS home and we also met some of his family. We were there for a few hours and I was able to look through his 1972 Topps Baseball set, which I am also building in PSA 8 or better condition. His cards were all raw and were sharp and centered and just GORGEOUS! Honestly, his raw cards made my PSA 8's look bad.
    But then, I was awestruck as I looked through the 1971 set he has. Literally it was JAW DROPPING. I've always liked that set, and someday may build one in PSA 6-7 condition. I have never been more impressed with a set that his 1971 set. Although he will likely downplay it, I think it averaged an 8.5 or 9. It was just stunning. We took out some 1971 PSA 7's and PSA 8's he had and his set easily matched up/exceeded those cards. Seriously, that 1971 set was STUNNING. Finally, I perused his GORGEOUS 1974 set, which he thinks is his highest grade set and it was also stunning. He gave me a complete 1988 Topps set and update set as a gift. His collection is so well organized and in such nice condition I thought I should have paid to see it!!!
    Thanks Brett for the hospitality! IT was a pleasure to meet you, your family, and see the cards! Here is a picture of myself, my son, and Brett. I also won the biggest belly contest by a landslide, as evidenced in my picture below.
    During our trip we went to LegoLand and I saw Danny Schayes there. He was friendly and nice and asked me several questions about me and my family. Heck of a nice guy. He begged me for a picture so I obliged.

• Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Brett, show us how you have your sets organized, I'd like to see it!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Michael,
    I really enjoyed your visit. Your family is wonderful! It was nice to show my cards to a fellow collector. In all sincerity, that was the first time in my 39 years of collecting that I had the opportunity to show my cards to someone who actually knows something about the hobby and appreciates cards. Come back anytime!
    Brett
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool! Brett, show us how you have your sets organized, I'd like to see it! >>

sidepocket,

My cards are well-organized, but not creatively displayed. They're all on shelves in my bedroom closet. Each set is in plastic sheets in its own binder, except for 1970-77. I'm in the process of converting my sets from binders to shoeboxes. '70-77 are in penny sleeves inside toploaders inside the shoeboxes. My only PSA graded set ('72 OPC CFL) sits in stacks on my "working" shelf. That's the shelf on which I keep all my duplicates that I'll be selling, or new acquisitions that are awaiting placement in the appropriate shoebox.

I really have no space in the house for display room, but I hope to create one once the nest is empty. One kid down, one to go!
    Brett
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Very cool guys.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com