Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If Coin collecting is not fun no more.. So what would you do first.

Hypo... If you had a coin collection with varies types of coinage and were getting tired or losing interest in this hobby what type of coins would you sell in "YOUR" collections first and why..

The first thing I would start selling would be bags of silver coins.. Although I made a killing last time I mentioned on these forums, I sold pounds and pounds of silver at $20 a oz.

I still have many pounds of Morgans/Peace/frankies and other silver coins that are above that Vf grade I held on and would not let go... I would sell them because it would be time to buy more "GOLD" for investment purposes instead of collecting purposes..

If I needed to sell "Gold" it would be a lot easier than varies rare types.. It seems to me any "Gold" coin is easy to sell at a moments notice..

Comments

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I think you should have a give-away here on the USCF
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Sell the "stuff" and keep the keys.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I'd go skyyyyyyyy diving,
    Rocky Mountain Climbing,
    I'd go 2.7 seconds,
    On a bull named Fumanchu.....
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See cliff

Climb cliff

Jump off cli.........

Oh sorry
    I was answering a different question.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>See cliff

Climb cliff

Jump off cli.........

Oh sorry
    I was answering a different question. >>

Why?image
  • Options
    oxy8890oxy8890 Posts: 1,416
    If I sold my collection we could buy a house in the new area we live in. Something I have been thinking about for quite some time. If I don't sell my coins I will probably have the down in about 8 more months (Assuming the jobs hold up and I continue to sell a few duplicates here and there online).

Frankly, it has been a tough call.image
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.........hmmmmm, i'll need more time to think about this.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    If you measure it in pounds and ounces it doesn't have much to do with coin collecting, more like accumulating bullion. Nothing wrong with that mind you, but I don't measure anything I collect by the pound. As to the question, my collection would barely buy a good car if sold.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Frankly, I agree with JCMhouston - it doesn't really sound like you're a coin collector at all.

Personally, when my interest in buying coins flags, I pick an area of numismatics that I'm interested in but don't know much about and I get a book or two about it.

If I'm able to borrow the book from the library, then it's a real win-win - I re-charge my numismatic interest and I don't spend a dime.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Sell all you have, you can always buy coins again if you regain your interest.

For me, I went about buying a lot of coins in the beginning just because.... I mean a lot. That was misguided for me.

Now I'm buying a book to learn about the morgan series while planning to sell off a lot of coins.

Buying is a lot easier for me than selling, so I'm not looking forward to this. All the advertising, packing and shipping is not something
    I enjoy doing.

Live and learn.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Keep it all. I started collecting nearly 10 years ago. I've had a few lulls of 6-12 months in that time that I didn't care. I always came back to it and was glad I never sold during the lulls. Been hardcore into it for about 3 years now without any lull in the interest.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    If I got tired of collecting coins, I'd go back to chasing wimmen.

Ray
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Your hooked, You can't leave image You might get out for a while, However you won't leave image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options

<< <i>Keep it all. I started collecting nearly 10 years ago. I've had a few lulls of 6-12 months in that time that I didn't care. I always came back to it and was glad I never sold during the lulls. Been hardcore into it for about 3 years now without any lull in the interest. >>

I tend to agree, but you know the size of box that a carton of copy paper comes in? I have 11 of those packed mostly w/new mint stuff.

That's what I want to get rid of.

300 silver proof Mint sets 1999-2008;
    600 mint boxes of jefferson nickels new designs;
    scads of mint tubes of SAE's;
    10 brinks boxes of Washington dollars;
    5 ctns of 2004 Wisconsin quarters from brinks; that's what comes to mind, not to mention Bald eagle sets; flag proof silver quarters 10 of each state; way too much 'new' stuff that I thought would have some numismatic value down the road.

Keeping all the type coins and gold. I love the old stuff. And Morgans of course. I always liked the old stuff, the new cr*p blinded me..........I was once a hoarder..
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Keep it all. I started collecting nearly 10 years ago. I've had a few lulls of 6-12 months in that time that I didn't care. I always came back to it and was glad I never sold during the lulls. Been hardcore into it for about 3 years now without any lull in the interest. >>

I tend to agree, but you know the size of box that a carton of copy paper comes in? I have 11 of those packed mostly w/new mint stuff.

5 ctns of 2004 Wisconsin quarters from brinks; that's what comes to mind, not to mention Bald eagle sets; flag proof silver quarters 10 of each state; way too much 'new' stuff that I thought would have some numismatic value down the road.

Keeping all the type coins and gold. I love the old stuff. And Morgans of course. I always liked the old stuff, the new cr*p blinded me..........I was once a hoarder.. >>

Wow, that is a bunch of stuff! I never got into moderns, but I do buy a lot of things and then tend to drift away from that area. At that point I'll keep my favorite piece of the lot and sell the rest. Kind of refining the collection I guess you could say, although I go about it the long way around.image
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>If I got tired of collecting coins, I'd go back to chasing wimmen.

Ray >>

Ray, chasing wimmen would cost more than coins.. So we know what you will be doing until you croak..image

Oh, at least a new coin you would get wouldn't talk back to ya and say, I don't do those type of things, what kind of wimmen do you think I am... $150 later after a nice dinner and movie, back in the sack with you and "ONLY" your last slab.image
  • Options

<< <i>

Keeping all the type coins and gold. I love the old stuff. And Morgans of course. I always liked the old stuff, the new cr*p blinded me..........I was once a hoarder.. >>

ahhh, touche'. I did this too. Bought a lot of mint stuff just to sell it and now I'm only about classics. I can't blame you for wanting to get rid of this and raise more money for oldies. image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If I got tired of collecting coins, I'd go back to chasing wimmen.

Ray >>

Ray, chasing wimmen would cost more than coins.. So we know what you will be doing until you croak..image

Oh, at least a new coin you would get wouldn't talk back to ya and say, I don't do those type of things, what kind of wimmen do you think I am... $150 later after a nice dinner and movie, back in the sack with you and "ONLY" your last slab.image >>

You mean the heavily circulated variety of wimmen? (wow, I'm a nerd)image

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Type set has kept me fully engaged. Today I purchased 6 mint sets 1976-1981. I have a few Whitmans needing Kennedy Halves, Ikes and Susan B., so that is what I bought. In addition; I picked up a lightly cleaned seated liberty 1857 dime for a Capitol Board, just for fun. image

I hold the silver as a test of my wits against a volatile market.
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭
    I would stop buying!image

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    Hold on to the pieces that would be difficult to replace in the event the current malaise passes.

Even if the malaise doesn't pass these well tend to be the pieces that over the long term will increase in desirability and price.
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Interesting question. I've been trying to cope with burnout too. I'm either alot pickier or poorer or my tastes are changing or all of the above.

My response is to put it all away and focus on something completely different, non numismatic. Sell nothing, for the time to sell is much, much later in life. Avoiding overbuying helps with not selling.

What do I turn to?

Clearing and burning brush. Writing software for personal use. Getting ahead of the game at work.

Then I get sick and/or tired of that.

In moments of clarity, I can see where I want to go. I wait for these moments of clarity; i'm glad I have them. Seems like clarity, anyway. "It" guides me.

World coins and exonumia have caught my eye. What a huge realm that is. As much history as you can eat. Some of it even seems to tie in to other bits of history; go figure.

And of course, folks posting their trophy purchases here is always nice, regardless of the series. Bear has been buying some stuff that i've been getting vicarious enjoyment from.

We might even compose e-mails similarly with the double space kind of thing going on.

Oh oh.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file