Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Can One Detect Buffalo Counterfeits?

After hoarding whatever I could for the past 2 months I've decided to settle down and take the advice given here many times before and just collect a set that I would enjoy putting together instead of just buying anything I could get my hands on. I've always liked the design of the coin and with the amount of varities there are too (DD's, 8over7, 3 leg, 3 and half leg etc) it would be an interesting/challenging set to put together. That being said, I do have a general idea of the grading scale for the Buffs, but my knowledge on detection of a counterfeit in this series is next to none.

More than likely I'm going to be putting this set together raw, so I thought I'd pick some brains here before I begin my journey.
So what are some things I should look out for that just scream counterfeit that the untrained eye wouldn't detect? For example, I know added mint marks is always a possibility, is there any way to distinguish that on a Buffalo? Thanks guys.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Steve;
    I'm doing the same thing with the Buffalo's, I am putting together a raw set in my dansco and at the same time buying PCGS and NGC Buffs. The only advice I would have to offer is buy some books...I like the " Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels by David W. Lange " It has a lot to offer. And make sure you keep your loupe with you when your looking. I hope this helps. But I would also like to say I think buffalo Nickels are one of the most beautiful coins this country has to offer....I love them!!! Good luck my friend....Joe

Here's a couple I picked up not to long ago I thought I would share with you. Hve fun with your search

imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Be sure you come up to speed on embossed mintmarks.
  • Options
    kahokiakahokia Posts: 140 ✭✭
    There's a little, pocket-sized notebook with pictures and diagnostics for popular counterfeits, including several buffalos. It's by the guy who wrote to book on detecting counterfeit gold--Bill Fralin or something like that? Easy to carry around.
    We are digging the pit of Babel.
    --Franz Kafka
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    The varieties(especially the 3-Leg) are the ones you probably want to look at very closely. From my experience, this series is not one that a big problem with counterfeits across the entire series. Good luck! image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........get a hold of the cherrypickers' guide AND coin grading and counterfeit detection PCGS official guide. these will help quite a bit.

steveimage
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

I may just have to purchase the books mentioned. I already do have the Cherrypickers Guide, so I've been flipping through that quite frequently. Also, would a dealer get upset if you walk into his shop with a loupe? Is it proper to ask if they allow it first? Sweet coins btw crazyhounddog! Also, thanks for the link on embossed mintmarks. I never would have thought to check the rim in such a way, more or less just checking it for obverse and reverse rim dings. I also believed the Buffalo Nickel wasn't a series counterfeited too often since I haven't heard much about it on the USCF. I think it's safe to assume the big money varieties like Kdog mentioned would be the ones to look out for.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Casting is an older method of counterfeiting Buffalos and luckily it is easy to spot. Here's a couple of examples:

imageimage
    imageimage

For cast examples you are looking for pores and pits more than anything. Also notice the missing designer initial and the "skinny" buffalo on the 1916.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Hi All,

I've had this 1936-D 3 1/2 leg Buffalo for several years. It's in Good condition so with the wear it's hard to tell for me if it's altered or not. The shape of the front leg looks accurate compared to the CPG and Heritage.com samples but maybe someone here has a trained eye and can give their opinion. Sending it in for authentication is not an option at this time unfortunately. Love to hear what you have to say. I have it listed in my online store with many views but no buys/offers.

Lestrrr
  • Options
    fugnchill, I don't see anything wrong with your Buffalo. I think it's just that nobody wants to spend $400 on a coin that isn't certified (and from what I've learned, one of the counterfeited coins of the series). To come to this conclusion I just compared crazyhounddogs 38-D reverse to yours, and could not find anything different from the two. (other than the obvious wear and the half leg). Although, I could be wrong. Lets see if some experts can give any feedback.

Edit: Maybe that hole to the right of "A" in America is a cast pit?
  • Options
    Thanks InternetJunky,

I threw it under the scope and that spot after the A is from a hit it took. I agree about not wanting to spend that much on an uncertified.

Lestrrr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file