Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found an interesting indian head cent at the flea market..

Hi,

Just wanted to share this 1894 cent I picked up at a local swap meet yesterday.

While checking on the price guide I noticed that there is a double date version of this coin...

And under close inspection I believe that's what this one is, apparently the previous owner didn't notice.

Pretty good find for a $1 image

What would you grade it? It looks like a 4 to me.

The coin is in a flip so what look like hairlines on the lower reverse are on the plastic film.

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - nice find for a $1 !
    And I agree it is close enough to G4 that I wouldn't argue about it.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    $1...image

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat find!
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Neat find for a $1. Net sure if it's an actual DD or just machine doubling.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the S1 1894/1894. Worth about $30 - $50 in that condition.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great cherrypick!

Heck, even without the die variety, it is a helluva nice grab for a buck. 1894 is a little bit better date!

Nicely done! And look at what THE expert had to say about it! image

What say ye, forumites? Is this worthy of a YOU SUCK award? I think so.

PS- a solid, strong G4 in my book. When I start to see separation of the headband, I go G6, personally. This one I wouldn't quite say G6 on, but it is strong for a 4. Call it G5, if there were such a thing. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    YOU SUCK! image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    It's official!

He sucks! image

PS to Foxer- since you're relatively new, perhaps I should explain that YOU SUCK is high praise in these parts. (Meaning, "you suck because you make me jealous".)

To earn a YOU SUCK only a month into your forum tenure is a pretty high honor. image

Congratulations.

(You've probably been around long enough to have figgered that out by now.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    It's a nice find, but no better than a You Suck Lite imho! image

Nice job!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    This is why I love this forum, you post a cherrypick, and the guy who wrote the book confirms it image
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    FoxerFoxer Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Hi again.

Thanks for the comments and i'm glad I got a "you suck"?

The guy also had an 1881 F, 1893 VG, 1882 VG, and 1901 VG. They were all a dollar each so I bought them all.

The 1901 has a neat color but possibly has been cleaned?

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    nice find on the 1894!!!

K S
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick in the 1894!!

...the '01 has definitely been cleaned image
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To earn a YOU SUCK only a month into your forum tenure is a pretty high honor. >>

Damn tinhorn!
  • Options
    Nice grab for $1
  • Options

<< <i>This is why I love this forum, you post a cherrypick, and the guy who wrote the book confirms it >>

Indeed. With a number of numismatic authors and a coin designer or two, not to mention other numismatic celebrities in the woodwork, this place can make me feel a tad starstruck at times.

<< <i>The 1901 has a neat color but possibly has been cleaned? >>

Most definitely, but still worth a buck.

• Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    Sweet, make sure you identify the coin so you don't end up doing the same thing the seller did.
  • Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Nice Find.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file