Home Precious Metals
Options

'01 UNC Visitors Center $5 gold commem for $280? Pics added

CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
I was at the state show yesterday and a dealer there had stacks and stacks of modern commems, gold and silver, in mint packaging on his table. I started looking through them to see what was there and saw a '01 UNC Visitors Center $5 gold commem with a price of $295 on the package. I ask the dealer if that was his price and he looked at the box and said, "How about $280?" I smiled, paid quick and walked away in disbelief at what just happened. I still can't believe it. UNC's are still in the $1,200 range aren't they? Going back to the show in a few minutes but doubt if anything can top that but I'll keep my fingers crossed. image

Here's two pictures. imageimage
-------------
edit to add Pictures
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭
    One just closed on Ebay for $860. Nice!
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $280 is bearly over issue price.
    The poor guy must not own a greysheet.
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    Riiiiiip
    Its all relative
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$280 is bearly over issue price.
    The poor guy must not own a greysheet. >>

It was interesting at this guy's table. Only about 10% of all the boxes of modern commems had price tags on them. The rest, he referred to greysheet to price those and even then the price he gave was always bid or below. By chance, the '01 $5 UNC Visitors Center gold I found happened to be pre-priced. And if they were pri-priced he never referred to the greysheet with those. Go figure.
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$280 is bearly over issue price.
    The poor guy must not own a greysheet. >>

It was interesting at this guy's table. Only about 10% of all the boxes of modern commems had price tags on them. The rest, he referred to greysheet to price those and even then the price he gave was always bid or below. By chance, the '01 $5 UNC Visitors Center gold I found happened to be pre-priced. And if they were pri-priced he never referred to the greysheet with those. Go figure. >>

CoinHusker, you done good. Too often I look at those commemoratives as low premium bullion for my stash and forgot that many still have numismatic value.