Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A question on 3 cent silvers

I am thinking about collecting a date run of silver three cent pieces.. but I am told that they are small coins.By the pictures in the ads they dont look small but what do I know.So are they the size of a dime?? bigger?? smaller??image

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭✭
    Significantly smaller
  • Options
    Really small.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    around 1/3 the size of a dime... very tiny and difficult to photograph well
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Makes you feel as though its the smallest coin in one of those mixed foreign bags.

Don't buy raw as you will probably lose it image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a Red Book and read it. It will answer many questions such as this in one source.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    The only coin with a smaller diameter than the 3 cent silver are type 1 gold dollars, and the trime still weighs less than them.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Also, they are very prone to die clash.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at the fingernail on your pinky finger. Unless you have bizarrely huge hands, the 3 cent silver is going to be about the same size or a bit smaller than that!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Nevermind.... the pic is messed up image

As others have said... they are quite small indeed!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Holy pigmys batman I want to thank everyone for their imput.I dont think that the 3 cent silver was what I thought it was size wise.So hmmmm maybe peace dollars will be my coin of choice.I know how big they are.thanks again to all.Happy collectingimage
  • Options
    Silver trimes are 14 mm in diameter (0.55"), weigh 0.75-0.80 grams (depending on type), and are very very thin.
    Visit my coin website!

Actively Collecting: Yearly Mint Stuff, Ikes, SBAs
    Passively Collecting: All coins currently circulating
    Type Set: (20th-21st century) First year of issue (or 1901), P Mint, ALL varieties
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002
    thanks astro about half an inch got it.I would lose itimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They weren't called "fish scales" for nothing. They were the smallest silver coin ever struck by the US Mint, and second smallest of all US coins, behind the gold dollar.

I don't know how big your hand is by comparison, but a 3cS is about the size of one of my fingernails.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    They are neat coins, and quite cheap for their relative scarcity (The later business strikes can be hellishly tough to find). I'd check scarsdalecoin.com owned by a fellow board member and probably the biggest dealer of them extant.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    MikeyG,
    3C silvers are wonderful coins to collect. They are in general low mintage yet affordable but a few of the type 3 MS and type 2 proofs can be challenging.
    Lots of patterns too.
    Trime

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file