Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1973 Topps Wax Box

I've got the high bid on this full box that ends tomorrow and I will be on the golf course when it ends. Does it look legit? Either way, I'm gonna gamble on it at the high bid I put in.

1973 Wax Box

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    who knows... you need to snipe though
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be leery with this auction...at less than $600, the price is less than a quarter of what it's worth if authentic.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Gary use to use "Stephanie's closet" or something? With the low feedback, I would be wary. But, this being said, I sure hope it is legit and good luck to you!!!!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Tough to bid on something like that when they only have 15 feedback, but that would be an awesome rip! Good luck Vette!

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Previous auctions say he/she/it knows nothing about baseball cards but has plenty of other baseball cards auctions with detailed descriptions. I would say it is junk. Plus, only previous auctions for packs happen to be 1973 Topps.
  • Options
    Did Topps use different record offers on the the back of the wrappers for a single series box (which this box should be)?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

The box below contains the User IDs that this member has used on eBay.

User ID Effective Date End Date

christinesauctioncloset May-04-09 Present

sigman4785 Dec-09-05 May-04-09

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    A HUGE gamble in my opinion. You might get some star cards but they will NOT be high grades. Chance of that box truly having unopened packs is about 1 in 1,0000000000000000000000000000000 in my opinion. Good luck though!
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Damn, I'm such a wuss. I canceled the high bid I placed, although I don't think I would have gotten it for $900 anyway. BBCE is offering to buy these boxes for $1600-$2500 depending on the series, but I feel like there is a 95% probability it is junk. At $900 I could probably have sold the packs individually and still made money, but I'd feel like sh*t if they were all junk. And I would feel like even more sh*t if I ripped it and got an a$$load of offcenter beat up '73 commons.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Whenever corvette1340 posts, the only thing I can read is "Chicks cannot hold their smoke. That's what it is."

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Whenever corvette1340 posts, the only thing I can read is "Chicks cannot hold their smoke. That's what it is." >>

+1 for Breakfast Club quote!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i wouldn't buy any early 70s cardboard unless it was sealed in a graded slab of some sort
    unless i knew the source,
    then that changes all my assumptions.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    15 feedback, hmmmm, seems to be playing dumb about the box. don't buy the story of the original owner on this one. the points on the back scans of some of the top corners look fishy. all different wrappers on the front , that is not correct. should be the same , catcher, ump, pitcher, batter. not a mix. bogus imo
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Man, i would be super scared of this one if it were me. Something just doesn't feel right, the low feedback, new user ID, low priced auctions that feedback were left for and the tag on this one. Gamble is a good choice of words. I hope it works out.
  • Options

<< <i>i wouldn't buy any early 70s cardboard unless it was sealed in a graded slab of some sort >>

Gary had and probably still has a bunch of 1975 Topps mini boxes and packs that are resealed and made it into GAI holders.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    If it was mine and I knew that Steve at the BBCE was paying 1600.00 to 2500.00 for them I'd have a
    reserve on my auction for that amount.

Duncan made a comment about the packs being different so right there it has a red flag.

15 feedbacks, is another. I'm wondering why a guy like Neil gets his auctions torpedoed

while this person is allowed to keep hers/his going?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm wondering why a guy like Neil gets his auctions torpedoed

while this person is allowed to keep hers/his going?
    >>

Agreed. Neil is one of the good guys and gets his auctions zapped while scum like this are allowed to continue.

Just thought I would throw this in too, Neil sent me 14 graded cards last week while I was out of town. I hadn't even paid for them yet and they were at my house.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    lmao, $637. Best buy of the year if it's legit, but I'd bet my entire collection against $100 that it's junk.

A dishonest seller can still make a decent profit if they just sale the individual packs and get $40 each. They will probably send them to GAI and try to get them slabbed I would guess.
  • Options
    I also found it rather amusing that he listed every single 1973 pack under the correct category of Pre-1980 packs and this box is suddenly listed under Non-Sports cards and mixed lots? Nothing like playing up the angle that he doesn't know anything about cards.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also found it rather amusing that he listed every single 1973 pack under the correct category of Pre-1980 packs and this box is suddenly listed under Non-Sports cards and mixed lots? Nothing like playing up the angle that he doesn't know anything about cards. >>

Nice catch on that one - I missed that...I of course saw where he had sold the individual packs.

I agree with the comments that there is "something wrong" with the packs, if not resealed then the seller opened a few of them already and knows they are garbage with moisture damage or other problems - certainly, this seller is no "babe in the woods."