Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

There is now a tie for #1 in the Steve Carlton Basic Set!

I am #2 all-time on the set and glad to finally announce a completion of something here.

It was only 39 cards, but even that was a freakin marathon to obtain in high grades. I am not done with it as I will upgrade as I come across things, but wanted to share with everyone.

Also, I could NOT have gotten as high in the rankings as I did without a few of the members here!! What a great community we have!

Thank you!! Cougar701's Basic Carlton Set

Comments

• Options
    Cougar, congratulations on Steve Carlton set completion! I just checked out your set, and it looks like the '69 Topps and '83 Fleer were your later additions. Cool, so you have the only PSA Gem Mint '83 Fleer Lefty card in the world. I hope you'll add scans to the set.

As a Phillies fan, I've considered starting this set. BTW, I've found it interesting how the Schmidt and Carlton RCs have almost identical populations numbers in PSA 9s and 10s.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Nice!
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job on that set Cougar! image

I'm slowly working on the set myself, as Lefty is my favorite pitcher of all-time after Nolan Ryanimage

Steve
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all!

SDsportsfan, I sent you a PM with an offer to help where I can as I have some extra PSA 9 Carltons with low pops.

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Robbie
    Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Excellent job!!!! image

Now you need to get some scans on there for our further enjoyment. image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good job!!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

I loved Steve Carlton...just recently retired [and sold off most of] my Carlton Master set, but I'm still happy with the small handful of Carlton cards I have. Good fun completing the basic set. What is your favourite card? Mine has always been the 1972 Topps Traded.

Cheers
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Congrats!

I am only a few cards away from completing my Wade Boggs basic set. Unfortunately, those few cards have yet to be graded image

Regards,
    Mike
  • Options
    Good Job,
    You might consider adding the 1986 and 1987 Sportfics to the Basic Set and your collection. Sportflics was nationally distributed and they also honored Carlton by giving him card #27 (equal to his legendary victory tally in 1972 and final card #200 in the '87 set).
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

The 1971 Topps in mint will be a real challenge to locate!

Congrats! Great job! image

rd
  • Options
    Just picked up the 1980 Topps Carlton in PSA 10...was not cheap, but pop was only 6image

Need to look around for some upgrades still but very proud of my set.

Seems like Carlton is very over looked since he retired.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Congrats on an awesome accomplishment! Your set looks GREAT! image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats cougar!

Want a really big thrill?? Go for the Carlton Master, only 258 items. image

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    That 71 is gonna kill ya! But on the flip side it will put you over the top.
  • Options
    Ya, that 1971 will be a big bopper... not even sure I will see one for sale anytme soon. Much more likely to pick up the 1982 and the 1979 Carlton's as they are more common and more likely for more to pop yet. In fact, I've seen the rookie in a 10 sell more recently then a 1971 PSA 9. Pop 5 for the 71 with no 10 and the Rookie PSA 10 is pop 6...nevermind the rookie is like 20K, but the only PSA 8.5 71 sold for $255 so the 9 Might be in the 1K neighborhood if ever for sale.
    I need browntoni to submit and sell me his 1971 PSA 9image
  • Options

<< <i>Just picked up the 1980 Topps Carlton in PSA 10...was not cheap, but pop was only 6image

Need to look around for some upgrades still but very proud of my set.

Seems like Carlton is very over looked since he retired. >>

I was the one you beat to get it. It is one of the extremely tough cards of the 1980 Topps set which I am working on. Had never seen one before. Also am a fan of Steve and think it's a nice looking card. Congrats. If you get bored with it in the next couple weeks, let me know. Ha! Just curious, how high were you willing to go on it?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup on that 1980! image

I haven't even been searching for pre-1981 PSA 10 Leftys, as I figured the price would be out of my league (I guess I'm too used to Nolan Ryan prices image ).

I just added 'em to my search! image

Steve
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pickup!

I never thought it a tough card, but perhaps it is because I picked up my 1980 Carlton PSA 10 well over five years ago, before many were focused on such things.

I'd pay a *ton* of money for a 1981 Topps Carlton PSA 10. That's a killer card to find in top grade. I have an '81 Coca-Cola PSA 10, but the regular Topps card? Haven't seen it in GEM MINT in nearly a decade of looking.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Ya, there is only 1 1981 Topps Gem Mint 10. You wouldn't think the 1983 Fleer would be that tough but I have the only PSA 10 of it. I can't see the Fleer staying put, or I can't see the 81 Topps staying at 1 either as PSA will eventually give in to a '9' sent in from 4SC or Just Collect and call it a 10 to increase the popage.

UlyssesExtravaganza- My high bid on the 80 was close to yours, I went with $182.xx as a random number nearly double the opening bid. We were very close when it came down to it.

Want a really big thrill?? Go for the Carlton Master, only 258 items.

The master sets do nothing for me as there are far too many cards that I am not in love with and hence, it would just become a task and not a passion for me. I applaud those who find the 'love' in the master sets. Another reason is I do not have the funds of a millionaire and there are far too many other kewl cards(Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc. come to mind) that I would rather own then some crazy obscure card of one of my favorite players.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those player sets (like Tony Perez or Billy Williams) which I might pursue one day, if I ever get off of my Braves kick. Carlton is still the best left handed pitcher I've ever seen and his style is, at least to me, what pitching is all about: intelligence mixed with physical skill.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

<< <i>Ya, there is only 1 1981 Topps Gem Mint 10. You wouldn't think the 1983 Fleer would be that tough but I have the only PSA 10 of it. I can't see the Fleer staying put, or I can't see the 81 Topps staying at 1 either as PSA will eventually give in to a '9' sent in from 4SC or Just Collect and call it a 10 to increase the popage. >>

The 81 is extremly hard to find focused.....Has anyone seen the 81 10?????? Id have to think its a 9 in a 10 holder but it is possible....I do have one or 2 10 images but with slightest touches...
    But thats after bazillion copies ive searched through.....

The 83 is always flatout ugly........