Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unofficial San Antonio Coin Show Report (05/30/09)

The show opened at 9:00am although I didn't arrive until about 9:45am. The first glimpse of the parking lot over-flowing was a surprise until I realize there was also a computer show going on in the adjacent and much larger room. As I fought my way past the crowd (ok maybe 2 people) to get to the coin show sign in desk I handed in my invitation which I'd received in the mail and was handed a "Lucky Drawing Ticket".... which actually ended up not being very lucky. image

The show was in a fairly small room with probably 30 dealers set up although I didn't count them. Most of the same faces... in fact most of the same coins I think. image

While not jam-packed there were still quite a few folks wandering around who always seemed to be parked in front of the tables that I wanted to look at. There was a uniformed police officer there that kind of gave me the once over a couple of times and it was at that point I figured my strategy of "dressing down and not shaving" in order to not be a mark and perhaps get lower "pity pricing" was perhaps a little overdone. Now all of a sudden I'm self conscious thinking "Oh man... I look like crap". image

Specifically I was on the look out for anything I could add to either of my active sets but a quick once through and a couple questions later figured that was a bust. I then figured maybe I could cherry a rare die marriage CBHD so I started to look around for anything interesting. I ended up at a table where the dealer had maybe 6 or 8 raw CBHD's and had to wait my turn at the table. When I had my chance I whipped out my trusty loop trying to remember what the die characteristics are by date... I glance at the first one or two and I hear this voice from behind me ask if I'd found anything interesting..... I don't know if you can appreciate this but I felt pretty embarrassed because as I turned to see who'd asked I realize that it is a fellow forumite who is one of the best CBHD guys in the country. It would be like Tiger Woods catching me trying to imitate his swing. This guy has forgot more about CBHD's than I'll ever know. I think I fumbled for words and just backed away and said here you look at 'em.... (i.e.. Tiger would you hit this drive for me?). The dealers case remained in tact.

Anyway it was nice to get to visit and talk coins. I didn't get the impression there was a lot of money changing hands other than for bullion. Probably the most active table in the show was the one where they had food plates set up for the dealers who had tables at the show. I learned to not get between a dealer and his food. image

I did purchase one low end CBHD from a different table as I thought it might of had a cud.... although "Tiger" said I was mistaken as the cud should have been on the left not the right side image

Next time I think I'll dress a little more appropriate and study that blue hd book before actually walking in the show.

The End.

Comments

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Thanks for the report Richard. image It's always nice to pick up a keeper at a show. image
  • Options
    I was there helping at Harry's coins table. From 9:30 to 1 p.m. it was pretty bussy then it just died. We moved alot of gold, some silver, pres. dollars, 09 eagles, log cabin cents and roll after roll of Puerto Rico quarters. I picked up a nice El Paso national on an break and scooped a 1884 CC GSA Morgan that was super frosty and pretty clean fields, I'd say at least a 64 if not 65 fir $155. I also had the pleasure to meet Kaelasdad who had some neat sets of P and D Log cabin first day of issue PCGS coins at a reasonable price. I didn't see a ton of high end coins move, a couple of key Morgans but in all honestly I was so busy quoting gold prices I couldn't see too much. Most dealers said they did so-so or not good. I saw a nice 31-S Buffalo but forgot to snag it before I left from Fernando's table. Alll in all it wans't too bad, but I hear next month Round Rock should be bigger.
  • Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dressed down "pity pricing" - does that really work?image

I may have to try that sometime.

Nice report, thanks!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice report, Richard! I bought nothing at the coin show, but found exactly what I was looking for at the Saxet Gun Show! Now if I could only afford the ammunition for it image
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was there too, looked like lots of 'tire kicking' with few people buying. I did see some YN's looking for holes to fill in their folders, so that was encouraging. I managed to pick up a few nice raw coins (pictures will be posted later), and passed on all that cleaned garbage that seemed to be everywhere. I did see a very nice 1931-S PCGS MS-65 Buffalo nickel in someone's case, but forgot to go back to check on it. image Overall, this show is always a fun way to spend the morning.

On a side note, there is that 'one dealer' who practically owned the back of the venue with all his inventory. A lot of it was slabbed, but his pricing is simply insane. Somehow his inventory seems to get bigger and bigger, probably because no one is buying, except for him. $125 for common, barely toned MS-64 Morgans, give me a break!!! image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was there too, looked like lots of 'tire kicking' with few people buying. I did see some YN's looking for holes to fill in their folders, so that was encouraging. I managed to pick up a few nice raw coins (pictures will be posted later), and passed on all that cleaned garbage that seemed to be everywhere. I did see a very nice 1931-S PCGS MS-65 Buffalo nickel in someone's case, but forgot to go back to check on it. image Overall, this show is always a fun way to spend the morning.

On a side note, there is that 'one dealer' who practically owned the back of the venue with all his inventory. A lot of it was slabbed, but his pricing is simply insane. Somehow his inventory seems to get bigger and bigger, probably because no one is buying, except for him. $125 for common, barely toned MS-64 Morgans, give me a break!!! image >>

"Jackie's Coins" -- you are dead-on with that assessment. I check his inventory every time but have not yet purchased from him.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file