Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln Cents...Not Hot According to Legend.

A FOLLOW UP TO OUR COMMENTS ABOUT LINCOLN CENTS

When we said Lincoln Cents are not hot, that meant there is no rabid bidding and people have slowed down in their demand of the series. Keep in mind, December and January, a lot of Lincolns hit the market unreserved. We did not see multiple people lined up for GEM $10,000.00 plus Lincolns at CSNS. Hard to believe, but the late Jack Lee was everything to that market for the past 2-3 years. He chased just about everything everything and if you wanted something, he made you pay. Besides Jack being gone, so are many of the buyers from that time. Either they finished their sets or they had to stop. We think we heard about one new player (we have not confirmed this), but thats it. It used to be for every player that left, 1-2 would pop up. We stand by our comments that the Lincoln Cent market has cooled-it was ineveitable.

Legend Stands by Comments Re Lincoln Cents

Can't imagine the Lincoln dealers are happy.

imageimage
Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
ANA Member R-3147111

Comments

• Options

<< <i>A FOLLOW UP TO OUR COMMENTS ABOUT LINCOLN CENTS

When we said Lincoln Cents are not hot, that meant there is no rabid bidding and people have slowed down in their demand of the series. Keep in mind, December and January, a lot of Lincolns hit the market unreserved. We did not see multiple people lined up for GEM $10,000.00 plus Lincolns at CSNS. Hard to believe, but the late Jack Lee was everything to that market for the past 2-3 years. He chased just about everything everything and if you wanted something, he made you pay. Besides Jack being gone, so are many of the buyers from that time. Either they finished their sets or they had to stop. We think we heard about one new player (we have not confirmed this), but thats it. It used to be for every player that left, 1-2 would pop up. We stand by our comments that the Lincoln Cent market has cooled-it was ineveitable.

Legend Stands by Comments Re Lincoln Cents

Can't imagine the Lincoln dealers are happy.

image >>

Thats right, it cooled down so much, that people waited in lines of oer 100+ people to get 3 dollars worth of rolls.

THANK GOD
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    Big difference between modern $50 rolls and pre-1934 gems. Get it?
    imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Big difference between modern $50 rolls and pre-1934 gems. Get it?"

Well, I sure don't see any qualifiers on which dates dropped of the hot radar on your reports, so aren't we being a bit snippy? Being that I'm only chasing 1934 thru 1958 MS-66 RD's, I haven't seen too much dropoff in prices there, especially for nice, lustrous spot-free pieces.

But that's just me. image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Quite a few series have cooled as of late. Early Lincolns being one of them. The true Gems still bring good prices. From what I've read; the Jack Lee Collection didn't have many true Gems so not a good reference point for the series. I've sold several of my top pop early RB/BN coins the past few months and didn't loose any money on them. image

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i'm happy in part because i don't follow what laura or legend claims

i like lincolns and just wish i had more $$$ to buy the select ones that fit my taste

maybe it's not about the almighty dollar in the end...enjoy a not hot 1965 sms ms65cam...lol

or a peasant's grade of pr63brn 1915 matty that's oh soo cold
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Sounds good to me. Still need 5 more for my Wheat date set. They made Lincolns after 59?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some months ago Legend had bought a 1909 cent set, which they listed on their inventory, at nice prices...good market prices for the CAC. They have only one or two left of the series. So...they have sold some top quality lincolns themselves.

...of course others know much more about this than I.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Laura (Legend) Sperber,

Your so full of MILK DUDS ! Jack Lee was (not) everything to the Lincoln market. As a matter of fact What do YOU REALLY know about Lincoln cents ?????? Are you aware of a standing offer of $150,000 for any 1909 S VDB in ms 67 red ??? I still buy $10,000 + Lincoln cents. Do you think Tom Bender is chopped liver ??? I also know other collectors of Lincoln cents who buy $10,000 + Lincoln cents from me on a basis of whenever I offer them coins.
    B & M recently sold a Proof 1913 Lincoln cent for $30,000 + and so did Heritage.
    The only problem is really getting the overgraded coins off the market (preferably) Jack Lees mistakes. His 55/55 in 65 red was total poo poo as well as his 13 S in 66 red.

Why don't you think next time you attack a coin series that I love because if I attack you I promise to be relentless. You need to apologize publically about your comments regarding Lincoln cents or I will be a rabid dog constantly attacking you !!!

Stewart Blay

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love workin' stiffs. My back hurts, but I'm feelin' refreshed today.
  • Options
    Laura is speaking about what she sees. She is only looking at high end coins and her focus is on more classic coins. I do like it that she doesn't sugar coat her opinions. image

I am happy to hear Stewart is still in the game, LasVegasTeddy is finding nice coins and LeeG didn't lose money.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is 'hot' right now among the esoteric top pop $10k+ coins? Anything? Appears that most high powered coins have seen lower demand/lower prices at auction lately. A person could probably insert about any series into the title and be correct, as long as you added a disclaimer that you're talking about high end items. But solid XF-AU collector coins in many series continue to have solid pricing. AU D & S Lincolns from the teens and twenties are still in demand, as I sold a group this morning, and know of several dealers who have trouble keeping these in stock. Bread and butter is still in demand, but caviar is on sale image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... Bread and butter is still in demand, but caviar is on sale image >>

The PCGS price guide is still showing increases in memorial cents. ...Even the high end ones.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dear Laura (Legend) Sperber,

Your so full of MIKE DUDS ! Jack Lee was (not) everything to the Lincoln market. As a matter of fact What do YOU REALLY know about Lincoln cents ?????? Are you aware of a standing offer of $150,000 for any 1909 S VDB in ms 67 red ??? I still buy $10,000 + Lincoln cents. Do you think Tom Bender is chopped liver ??? I also know other collectors of Lincoln cents who buy $10,000 + Lincoln cents from me on a basis of whenever I offer them coins.
    B & M recently sold a Proof 1913 Lincoln cent for $30,000 + and so did Heritage.
    The only problem is really getting the overgraded coins off the market (preferably) Jack Lees mistakes. His 55/55 in 65 red was total poo poo as well as his 13 S in 66 red.

Why don't you think next time you attack a coin series that I love because if I attack you I promise to be relentless. You need to apologize publically about your comments regarding Lincoln cents or I will be a rabid dog constantly attacking you !!!

Stewart Blay >>

Touche!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Who is Mike Duds?

Perhaps he would have more insight into this issue?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The PCGS price guide is still showing increases in memorial cents. ...Even the high end ones."

I recently sold a nice PCGS Memorial set on Teletrade for a customer and the coins (IMHO) did spectacularly well - a number of sales shattering full Price guide (which in some cases has been adjusted upwards now). Not to mention a 1992-D Close AM cent in just PCGS-AU53 grade, which sold for more than $3,300 with the juice! Excluding the 69/69, this may have been close to a world record price for a circulated Memorial Lincoln (variety) cent? Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you religiously follow retailer market reports, of which there are many, you will consistently underperform the market. These are better suited for entertainment purposes rather than as investment advice.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    so, she said Lincolns were cold afew weeks ago, and she had to do a follow up? Why?

If theyre dead, why follow up with overkill?

I agree with Stewart here 100%. It might be a segment thats colder than in recent memory within the series, but thats to be expected.

I buy Lincolns. Not $150K ones mind you, but I have ponied up the better part of 10K for one I needed.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me a break, Stewart. Reporting that Lincoln Cents are 'not hot' is not 'attacking a series'. So take a Mike Dud and don't get your orange panties in a twist. image

[/eyeroll]

With that said, no doubt that marginal coins hurt the market. That's one of the premises behind CAC - reward the good coins.
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> or I will be a rabid dog constantly attacking you !!!

As if you haven't already dipped your toe into those waters? The more things change the more they stay the same image
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

It's posted on this forum, so it must be trueimage .
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I just collect widgets... so I can't have an opinion... but go Stewart... go.

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Typical Legend poo poo, i enjoy reading them for the entertainment value. She is a smart person but then agin so are a lot of others on here. She has to hawk her coins anyway she can. She has bills to pay also.

Be gentle Steward you do not want to hurt her feelings.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sold a Morgan for $2500. I guess that means that Morgans are HOT.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"The PCGS price guide is still showing increases in memorial cents. ...Even the high end ones."

I recently sold a nice PCGS Memorial set on Teletrade for a customer and the coins (IMHO) did spectacularly well - a number of sales shattering full Price guide (which in some cases has been adjusted upwards now). Not to mention a 1992-D Close AM cent in just PCGS-AU53 grade, which sold for more than $3,300 with the juice! Excluding the 69/69, this may have been close to a world record price for a circulated Memorial Lincoln (variety) cent? >>

The dynamic on the memorials is very different than the older Lincolns.

These are a very young market with a far more diverse collector base.
    Despite this the collector base is tiny in comparison to the older Linc-
    olns, but more dramatic is the total valuation of the respective markets.
    There aren't quite as many of the memorials as the wheats but many
    of the wheats sell for tens and hundreds of thousands while a memorial
    has to be almost unique to reach 10,000.

The memorials are likely to stall as well but the long term growth will
    likely be far stronger for these.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561
    imageimage
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options

<< <i>Dear Laura (Legend) Sperber,

Your so full of MILK DUDS ! Jack Lee was (not) everything to the Lincoln market. As a matter of fact What do YOU REALLY know about Lincoln cents ?????? Are you aware of a standing offer of $150,000 for any 1909 S VDB in ms 67 red ??? I still buy $10,000 + Lincoln cents. Do you think Tom Bender is chopped liver ??? I also know other collectors of Lincoln cents who buy $10,000 + Lincoln cents from me on a basis of whenever I offer them coins.

Stewart Blay >>

Now now, we all know what happens then..................dont we?
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How are the 1972 DDO cents been holding up in red mint state MS-64/65/66?

I bought about 30 of them about 8-10 years ago. All in the original PCGS, ANACS and Hallmark holders.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How are the 1972 DDO cents been holding up in red mint state MS-64/65/66?

I bought about 30 of them about 8-10 years ago. All in the original PCGS, ANACS and Hallmark holders. >>

How are they holding up as far as color goes? Are they all still red?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    So it sounds like a dealer promotion. Must have quite a supply to sell.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the 72 DDO, there are a lot hitting the market recently. I had two walk in the shop the past month, And also bid on a collection that contained 7 examples from 63rb to 65 red. The last two I sold brought around sheet or just back of it. 1 was avg, the other a full red 64 and quite nice!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Legend's market reports all have this giant disclaimer at the top:

OUR MARKET REPORT IS COMPRISED OF LEGENDS OBSERVATIONS AND EXPERIENCES AT THE SHOW. KEEP IN MIND, OTHER DEALERS WILL HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES.

So it should not be surprising that other dealers may have a different perspective.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pffft.... The Lincoln market is no different than other series right now.

You will have to fight for quality, and much of it has gone into hiding.

Maybe she should get an opinion from BWRC? His markups look pretty good.
    Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file